Good morning and welcome to your weekday morning roundup of the top stories you need to know.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What’s going on today:
- Tucker Carlson told his viewers to call the police if they see children wearing masks outside. Carlson called those who voluntarily wear masks outside “zealots and neurotics” and said parents who make their children wear masks should be charged with “child abuse.” To be clear, masks have been proved to prevent transmission of COVID-19.
- House Democrats are pushing to make permanent a child-tax-credit stimulus-payment program. The proposal would provide $250 or $300 checks monthly. But Biden is likely to temporarily extend it instead.
- The widely used 6-foot rule does little to prevent COVID-9 exposure indoors, per a new study. MIT researchers said other variables – like masks and ventilation – were much more important indoors.
- Graveyard workers in India are burying dozens of victims a day as the pandemic whips out of control across the country. “We never thought … there would come a time when we would have to bury 30 dead bodies every day,” Muhammad Shamim, a cemetery supervisor, said.
- Gov. Gavin Newsom faces a recall election. Recall organizers met the minimum threshold to force a special recall election in California after submitting more than 1.6 million verified voter signatures.
- The internet beefs over beef. Epicurious says it’s no longer publishing beef recipes, and people are not OK.
That’s all for now. See you tomorrow.