Hi and welcome to Insider Advertising for May 27. I’m senior advertising reporter Lauren Johnson, and here’s what’s going on:
- The execs vying for power in Amazon’s acquisition of MGM.
- You & Mr. Jones hires a CTO.
- The top UK TikTok stars.
If this email was forwarded to you, sign up here for your daily insider’s guide to advertising and media.
- Amazon has agreed to buy MGM, the studio behind the James Bond franchise, for $8.45 billion.
- The deal could help Amazon founder Jeff Bezos realize his dream of owning a Hollywood powerhouse.
- Here’s what the merger means for key execs like MGM’s Mark Burnett and Amazon’s Jennifer Salke.
Also read: Why the James Bond franchise could be complicated for Amazon after buying the MGM film studio
- Marketing tech network You & Mr. Jones hired Integral Ad Science co-founder Will Luttrell as its first chief technology officer, Patrick Coffee reported.
- Luttrell is building a tech platform to help marketers take more control of their ad budgets.
- Advertisers have grown more concerned about a lack of transparency in their ad buys.
- UK creators, from Abby Roberts to Gordon Ramsay, are gaining huge followings on TikTok.
- Influencer Marketing Hub provided exclusive data to Molly Innes about the biggest UK TikTok stars.
- These 23 creators have follower counts ranging between 6.7 million and 23.5 million.
Other stories we’re reading:
- James Charles’ return to Instagram amid allegations that he sexted minors prompted backlash against influencers who sent birthday wishes (Insider)
- Instagram has internally tested a feature that would directly pay creators who post Reels (Insider)
- Amazon is weighing a push into physical pharmacies to grab a bigger slice of the $370 billion prescription market (Insider)
- Amazon could own unaired Trump ‘Apprentice’ tapes after buying MGM, but it probably still can’t release them (Insider)