- Proptech firms were already hot, but the pandemic lured more VCs to invest in them than ever before.
- Real estate and construction tech tools became essential to many businesses once they went remote.
- These pitch decks reveal how 16 different startups pitched their visions and products to investors.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
The real estate and construction industries are undergoing a major tech transformation, as startups touting everything from online home-buying to interactive office management software attract millions of dollars in venture funding.
While the property technology space, known as proptech, grew in size and dollars raised year over year, it has exploded during the pandemic. Stragglers who hadn’t yet adopted digital workflows were forced to, and venture capitalists have been pouring money into the firms offering compelling new products in residential real estate, commercial real estate, construction tech, and short-term rentals and hospitality.
Insider has collected 16 pitch decks that the most successful firms have used to raise funding from VCs and private equity firms.
Check out the full collection below. And bookmark this page, because we will continue to update it with new pitch decks.
Residential real estate
Residential real estate, more than any other segment of the market, has been on fire during the pandemic, with home prices and rents in almost every corner of the country skyrocketing. Venture investment into the tech that powers the industry – and helps take it online and streamline formerly tedious processes – has followed. Startups that help investors purchase and manage homes from afar, tools for residential brokers and leasing agents, and digital closing companies that digitize paper-heavy real estate transactions have all raised impressive sums.
- Here’s the investor deck that helped the real-estate startup Divvy raise a $30 million series A led by Andreessen Horowitz
- Here’s the pitch deck New York startup Uptop used to raise $5.5 million to expand its apartment-rental service
- Here’s the pitch deck used to raise a $4.4 million seed round for an AI chatbot looking to transform how people find apartments
- Check out the pitch deck real estate startup Offr used to raise $3.6 million in seed funding during COVID
- Check out the pitch deck camera subscription startup Giraffe360 used to raise $4.5 million to disrupt property photography
- Here’s the presentation digital closing startup Endpoint used to nab $40 million from its parent company, title giant First American
- See the pitch deck single-family rental startup Doorvest used to raise $2.5 million
- Read the full pitch deck an NYC apartment-rental startup that’s looking to disrupt brokers’ fees used to raise $5.7 million from VCs and landlords
Commercial real estate
Even though COVID-19 has left many offices partially filled and retail stores vacant, startups that help companies make their spaces virus-safe – by, say, keeping track of social distancing or monitoring building ventilation – became extremely important. Firms that promised to reduce friction (and costs) in day-to-day operations by digitizing them also attracted venture investment.
- Software startup UtilizeCore raised $5.3 million off this sleek pitch deck to help property managers with mundane tasks like hiring janitors and plumbers
- VergeSense, an office-sensor startup that tracks employees’ movements, just nabbed $9 million. From social distancing scores to real-time occupancy alerts, here’s its pitch deck.
- See the pitch deck a startup that monitors building ventilation used to raise $8 million during the pandemic
The pandemic boosted traditional construction companies’ interest in the high-tech corner of the sector. Startups that make digital tools to manage worksites from afar suddenly became indispensable, while the current housing shortage brought even more attention to companies that are developing ways to build faster and more cheaply.
- A construction-tech startup that’s developed a faster way to model a building’s energy efficiency used this 13-page pitch deck to nab $5.7 million
- Here’s the 21-slide pitch deck construction-tech startup Mosaic used to lay out its vision for the future of homebuilding and nab $14 million from backers including Andreessen Horowitz
Short-term rentals and hospitality
Early in the pandemic, hospitality businesses stalled as travel halted across the globe. Once things opened back up, short-term rental companies with rural locations or a presence in smaller cities started to see the reservations – and funding – pour in. As a vaccinated travel boom looms, the tech-enabled companies rivaling Airbnb that enable flexible tourism, digital nomadism, and remote work are poised to benefit.
- A Latin American short-term rental startup just raised $48 million in a Series A led by a16z. Here’s the deck it uses to pitch institutional landlords it looks to partner with.
- See the 26-page pitch deck Kasa Living used to raise $30 million while other short-term rental startups were folding
- Here’s the pitch deck that Koala, a startup bringing an Airbnb-style marketplace to the wonky timeshare industry, used to raise $3.4 million