Hi and welcome to Insider Advertising for May 20. I’m senior advertising reporter Lauren Johnson, and here’s what’s going on:
If this email was forwarded to you, sign up here for your daily insider’s guide to advertising and media.
- Discovery and WarnerMedia’s merger has reignited speculation of industry-shaking media deals, Claire Atkinson and Ashley Rodriguez reported.
- Insider spoke with experts about how talks between media giants could play out in 2021.
- The pressure is on, and all eyes are on Comcast’s NBCUniversal as rival AT&T spins WarnerMedia.
2 years after being named CEO of Fox, Lachlan Murdoch is pulling all-nighters to prove he is a worthy successor of his father
- Lachlan Murdoch has been running Fox Corp. during a tumultuous news cycle and business transition, Claire reports.
- The CEO is showing he’s running things, despite working from Australia since March.
- In a rare interview, he also addressed questions about the company’s future and his place in it.
- Coca-Cola has sold off drink brands that it paid millions for, like Zico and Odwalla, Alex Bitter reported.
- Former employees said Coca-Cola and its venture arm didn’t give the brands the resources they needed to succeed.
- James Quincey, Coca-Cola’s CEO, has signaled that the company will take fewer bets on small brands.
Other stories we’re reading:
- How a digital marketer launched a management firm focused on diverse talent and signed 20 influencers in her first year (Insider)
- A day in the life of a 28-year-old ad agency staffer who gets paid to spend up to 40 hours a week playing video games (Insider)
- A TikTok creator who posts tips on how to apply to college breaks down how he has grown his account to 880,000 followers and is attracting brand deals (Insider)
- AT&T-Warner deal puts some Discovery insiders ahead from the start (Wall Street Journal)