GOP Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia suggested in a Newsmax interview earlier this week that voters waiting in line to vote could order food from online delivery apps like Grubhub or Uber Eats, as he continues to face blowback for the 2021 MLB All-Star Game leaving the state over its newly-enacted voting law.
The law, known as the Election Integrity Act of 2021 or SB 202, tightens election rules in the state by limiting drop boxes, strengthening voter identification requirements, and banning water and food from being distributed by volunteers to voters waiting in line, among other measures. It has been slammed by prominent Democrats including President Joe Biden and former Georgia state House Minority Leader and potential 2022 gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams.
Several major companies – including Coca-Cola and Delta – have spoken out against the bill or voter suppression more broadly, which has upset Kemp and most statewide Republicans, who say the law is being distorted.
“They can order a pizza,” Kemp said of voters waiting to vote. “They can order Grubhub or Uber Eats, right?”
He added: “The county officials can provide water stations. This is just within 150 feet of the precinct. If you’re 151 feet, campaigns can set up tables, food trucks … they can hang up flyers and set up signs. This is all they [Democrats] have to grasp at.”
Kemp then accused Democratic-led jurisdictions of bungling their own election administration.
“The question too that you need to ask … Why are voters standing in line that long?,” he said. “It’s because it’s in Democratic-controlled counties. They need to do a better job of running their elections and moving people through the lines so that they’re not standing out there so long. Voters should be furious that that’s the case.”
Last year, a ProPublica and Georgia Public Broadcasting investigation found that the cause of the state’s voting issues were the state’s population growth, which has been accelerated by new residents in the blue-trending Atlanta suburbs, along with a failure to increase the number of polling precincts.
The report showed that while the state’s voting rolls had increased by 2 million people since 2013, polling locations have declined by 10 percent, especially in the populous Atlanta metropolitan region.
GOP Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger asked for additional resources and polling precincts after being elected in 2018, but was unable to push legislation through the GOP-led legislature before the 2020 presidential election, which saw Biden win the state by roughly 12,000 votes.
During the Democratic presidential primary held in the state last June, The Guardian spoke with Simone Alisa, an Atlanta voter who waited for five hours to vote after initially expecting that she might only have to wait 30 minutes.
“Something’s wrong with this picture,” she said after finally casting her vote.
In August 2020, Uber announced it would start making contactless prescription deliveries straight to customers’ doors. The feature aims to help vulnerable people receive the medications they need safely, without having to venture out to their local pharmacy.
To make this possible, Uber Health, a HIPAA-secure service, teamed up with NimbleRx, a company that works with local pharmacies to get customers’ prescriptions delivered the same or next day.
If you live in one of the markets served, you can start to get your prescriptions delivered through the UberEats app.
How Uber prescription delivery works
Depending on what device and method you prefer, you can have your current and future prescriptions delivered through the UberEats mobile app or the NimbleRx website.
But before you begin either process, you’ll want to have the names of your prescriptions, your pharmacy address, and your insurance card – if you have one – with you.
The Uber Health program is limited to a few select markets across the United States, including New York City, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Austin, with plans for future expansion.
However, similar to how UberEats isn’t available for all restaurants, not all pharmacies can deliver prescriptions through Uber. If your pharmacy isn’t available, you can be connected to one that will deliver to you, or have your physician send new ones to Uber Right Choice Pharmacy. The transfer process will take a few days, but once it’s complete, you can order and manage future orders with them through the app.
Deliveries come next- or same-day in discreet packaging with no delivery fee, and you can pay using your insurance. NimbleRx will use what insurance you have on file with your pharmacy, though you’ll want to check with NimbleRx as there are some insurance exclusions. Delivery is currently free, but Uber notes that it’s only a limited time offer.
It’s also important to know that while many prescriptions are eligible for delivery, there’s currently no option for controlled substances.
How to get prescriptions delivered by Uber
Before you can get any prescriptions delivered, you’ll need a NimbleRx patient account. You can sign up for this on the NimbleRx Website.
Sign up through the NimbleRx website
1. Head to NimbleRx and select either “Yes, I have a prescription” or “I will see a doctor soon.”
2. You’ll need to input your personal information, and then prove your identity so that it can be confirmed with your local pharmacy. You’ll also need to verify your mobile phone number by clicking the link they text you in order to activate your account.
After successfully signing up for an account, you’ll be prompted to choose your pharmacy as well as the prescription medication you’re ordering. You can use this menu to order your prescriptions through NimbleRx’s own delivery service.
Read on for instructions on how to link NimbleRx to your Uber account.
If you don’t have a prescription that you want to be delivered immediately, you can also set up future prescription deliveries.
Whether it’s getting food from your favorite local restaurant or getting groceries from the store, mobile applications like Uber Eats have been in high demand recently. And for the times you’re not eating alone, splitting the check can be relatively easy with Uber Eats’ group ordering tool.
The feature lets you send a link to everyone in your party, allowing them to add their order using their own devices. The order can then be paid for by one person, and sent to a single address.
It’s great if you don’t want to pass your phone around to everyone in the room. Just note that everyone involved will need to have their own Uber Eats account.
Here’s how to place a group order on the Uber Eats mobile app and online.
How to place an Uber Eats group order on the mobile app
1. Open the Uber Eats app.
2. Select a restaurant using the app’s Home dashboard or the search tool.
3. Once you’ve decided on a restaurant, click the group order button in the top-right hand corner.
4. Determine your delivery address and order spending limit. Then tap “Share group order.”
5. A window will appear with mobile sharing options. Share the group order link via text, social media, or email with each member of your group.
6. After all orders have been submitted, tap “View cart.”
7. Next, select “Go to checkout.”
8. Uber Eats will then ask you to confirm everyone has submitted their order. Choose “Continue” when you’re ready.
9. After verifying the items and price, hit “Next.”
10. You’ll be asked to select a tip amount, and how you want to pay. Once you’re ready, tap “Place order.”
How to place an Uber Eats group order through the website
1. Go to Uber Eats on your favorite browser and log in.
2. Select a restaurant using the app’s Home dashboard or the search tool.
3. Choose the restaurant you want to order from.
4. In the restaurant’s banner image, click the “Start group order” icon.
5. Use the “Edit” buttons to adjust your spending limit or delivery address.
6. Click “Create order.”
7. A box will appear with a link. Share it via text, social media, or email with each member of your group. Share the link to allow others to add to the Group Order.
8. After all orders have been submitted, you can begin checkout and place your order. Just remember that once you head to checkout, you can’t edit the group order without starting from scratch.