Donald Trump bizarrely mused about how LeBron James could get sex reassignment surgery to compete in women’s sports, video shows

Composite image of Trump, left, and LeBron James, right.
Former President Donald Trump suggested that LeBron James might eventually get sex reassignment surgery.

  • Trump, during a speech at a rally in Arizona, speculated that LeBron James might get sex reassignment surgery.
  • He suggested that the basketball player could “get the operation” to compete in women’s sports.
  • James identifies as male and has never publicly expressed a desire to transition.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

During a rambling two-hour speech in Phoenix, Arizona, on Saturday night, former President Donald Trump bizarrely mused about how basketball player LeBron James could get sex reassignment surgery.

Trump speculated that the Los Angeles Lakers star could “get the operation” in order to compete in women’s sports, he said while speaking at the “Rally to Protect Our Elections.”

The former president joked that, as the coach of a women’s sports team, he would only recruit transgender athletes. “If I were a coach, I wouldn’t be talking to too many women as we know women,” he said. “I’d be getting some of these people that … they’re ‘women.'”

Trump then suggested that James might eventually choose to transition. “Somebody said that if LeBron James ever decided to get the operation, how would he be on the court? How would he be?” he mused.

James identifies as male and has never publicly expressed a desire to undergo gender confirmation surgery.

“LeBron James, you can have him,” Trump continued before further mocking the basketball player. “Did you see the basketball ratings that were terrible? They went up after his team was defeated.”

This isn’t the first time that the former president has taken aim at James. Trump called him “racist” and “divisive” after the Los Angeles Lakers star tweeted a response to the police killing of Ohio teenager Ma’Khia Bryant in April.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Ron DeSantis will skip Trump’s July 4 weekend rally in Florida to focus on Surfside recovery efforts

DeSantis Biden
President Joe Biden, right, speaks as Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, left, listens during a briefing with first responders and local officials in Miami Beach, Fla., on July 1, 2021.

  • Gov. Ron DeSantis will not attend former President Trump’s rally in Sarasota on Saturday.
  • DeSantis’ office said he continues to monitor the aftermath of the deadly condo collapse in Surfside.
  • A Trump spokesperson said the rally’s location “will not impact any of the recovery efforts.”
  • Sign up for the 10 Things in Politics daily newsletter.

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida will not attend former President Donald Trump’s rally in Sarasota on Saturday, as he monitors the aftermath of the deadly condo collapse in Surfside, a town in Miami-Dade County.

DeSantis press secretary Christina Pushaw told The Hill that the governor would continue to tend to the needs of the affected South Florida community in the wake of the harrowing event.

“We can confirm that the Governor will not attend the rally in Sarasota,” she said in a statement. “He spoke with President Trump, who agreed that this was the right decision, as the Governor’s duty is to be in Surfside making sure the families and community have what they need in the aftermath of the tragic building collapse.”

She added: “Governor DeSantis would have gone to this event in normal circumstances. He is sure the rally will draw a big crowd on this holiday weekend, as many Floridians are excited to attend.”

The development that DeSantis would forgo the event was first reported by The New York Times.

Earlier this week, DeSantis’ office refuted a report that it asked Trump to postpone the event in light of the tragedy in Surfside.

Read more: Meet 7 BidenWorld longtime consiglieres and a couple relative newcomers who have access to exclusive White House meetings

DeSantis “is focusing on his duties as Governor and the tragedy in Surfside, and has never suggested or requested that events planned in different parts of Florida – from the Stanley Cup finals to President Trump’s rally – should be canceled,” the governor’s office said in a statement earlier this week, according to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

The Herald-Tribune reported that Trump spokesperson Liz Harrington said the distance between Surfside and Sarasota precludes any disruption in the rescue efforts.

“Like all Americans, President Trump sends his deepest condolences to those who’ve lost loved ones or been displaced by the terrible tragedy in Surfside,” she said. “The event in Sarasota, however, is on the other side of the state, 3.5 hours away, approximately the same distance from Boston to New York, and will not impact any of the recovery efforts.”

She added: “In fact, President Trump has instructed his team to collect relief aid for Surfside families both online and on-site at the Sarasota rally.”

More than a week after the collapse of the Surfside condo building, there have been 24 confirmed deaths as of Saturday, with 124 people still missing.

On Thursday, President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden visited the area to mourn with survivors and family members of individuals impacted by the tragedy.

“They’re going through hell,” Biden said of the families during his visit. “Jill and I want them to know that we’re with them and the country’s with them.”

DeSantis, who is seen as a top 2024 GOP presidential prospect in the event that Trump declines to run for office again, praised Biden for his response to the event in a moment of public comity.

“You guys have not only been supportive at the federal level, but we’ve had no bureaucracy,” he said.

Biden responded: “I promise you, there will be none.”

Read the original article on Business Insider

Trump had to cancel a July 4 weekend rally at an Alabama military memorial park after the venue backed out

Trump rally
Former President of United States Donald Trump speaks to crowd gathered at the Lorain County Fair Grounds in Wellington, Ohio, United States on June 26, 2021.

  • Trump canceled a planned rally in Mobile, Alabama, after the venue scrapped its permit.
  • The USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park approved the event before knowing Trump would come.
  • They said that Trump being there would breach venue rules that events must be non-partisan.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Former President Donald Trump scrapped plans to hold a July 4 weekend rally in a Mobile, Alabama, after being denied a permit for the venue.

It came after local officials worried that the event could be hijacked for partisan political reasons.

Trump had been billed as the keynote speaker at Saturday’s Republican Party event at the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park.

But, in a letter first obtained by NBC 15 News, park officials said they would not let the event to go ahead.

They said the decision came after they learned that it would not simply be a patriotic Independence Day themed event without strong political affiliation.

“After the request was made, then there was contact with the Republican Party, they contacted us and then it became apparent that it was going to be a partisan political event, rather than just a patriotic event planned for that evening,” wrote park commission chairman Bill Tunnell in the letter.

The park houses the USS Alabama, a warship which took part in naval operations during the Second World War. Park authorities have banned political events being staged at the venue since 2012 when former GOP senator Rick Santorum held a rally there.

In a statement to NBC 15 News, the Alabama GOP said that Trump had been looking forward to speaking at the event and was disappointed it was not going forward.

Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall told Al.com that he park officials sought his opinion, and that he told them to be wary of restricting free speech based on the “identity of the speaker.”

Trump has stirred rumors of a bid to return to power since leaving the White House in January.

Though banned from social media platforms for his alleged incitement of the January 6 Capitol riot, he has continued to baselessly claim by other means that last year’s election was stolen from him as a result of mass fraud.

On Saturday he appeared at his first rally since leaving office, where he railed against critics and opponents in familiar style.

Read the original article on Business Insider