An American father and son will serve prison time for helping ex-Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn in his dramatic escape from Japan in a box

Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn wears a black suit jacket, white shirt and pink tie.
Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn faces charges of financial misconduct in Japan

  • Two Americans will serve prison time for helping ex-Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn flee Japan in 2019.
  • Michael and Peter Taylor admitted to assisting Ghosn’s escape to Lebanon in a metal box.
  • Ghosn was on bail and facing trial in Japan on charges of financial misconduct.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

A Japanese court sentenced an American father and son to prison for their role in helping smuggle former Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn from Japan to Lebanon in 2019.

Former US special forces veteran Michael Taylor, 60, was sentenced to two years in prison on Monday for aiding the escape of a criminal, while his son Peter Taylor, 28, was given a one year and eight month-term on the same charges, per the Associated Press.

The Taylors admitted in June to helping the ex-Nissan chairman escape on a private jet from Japan where he had been facing a trial over financial misconduct charges. US authorities arrested the pair in Massachusetts in May 2020 and extradited them to Japan in March this year, per the AP.

Prosecutors said Michael Taylor met Ghosn’s wife Carole in Lebanon in June 2019 where she convinced him to help orchestrate her husband’s escape, The Wall Street Journal reported. The younger Taylor met with Ghosn during numerous trips to Japan over the next few months, with Ghosn transferring more than $860,000 to his marketing firm to finance the plan, the prosecutors said, per the WSJ.

On December 29 2019, the elder Taylor traveled with another man, George-Antoine Zayek, to Kansai International Airport in Osaka posing as musicians. The pair brought a large metal box normally used to transport audio equipment to hide Ghosn, drilling breathing holes in the side, The Washington Post reported, citing Japanese prosecutors.

Read more: Carlos Ghosn’s transformation from business icon to international fugitive was entirely predictable, industry leaders say. But his next act could surprise everyone.

That same day, Ghosn traveled with the elder Taylor and Zayek to a hotel close to Kansai airport. Only Taylor and Zayek were spotted leaving the building with the metal box. Zayek has not been arrested, The Washington Post reported.

The men helped Ghosn board a private jet from Osaka to Istanbul, and then on to Beirut. Ghosn told the BBC in a recent interview that waiting for the plan to take off was “probably the longest wait” of his life. Lebanon, where Ghosn spent time as a child, does not have an extradition agreement with Japan.

“Because of this case, Ghosn, a defendant facing serious charges, was able to escape overseas,” Chief Judge Hideo Nirei told the courtroom Monday, per The Washington Post, which cited media pool reports from the court hearing. “It has been one and a half years since the escape, and there is still no prospect of a trial. The consequences of this case are very large.”

Japanese authorities arrested Ghosn in 2018 on charges of financial mismanagement. He is accused of underreporting his pay over multiple years and breach of trust, by using Nissan finances for his own personal gain. He denies all charges.

Nissan did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

Read the original article on Business Insider

A year ago, police initially reported the death of George Floyd as the result of a ‘medical incident during police interaction.’

Derek Chauvin
Derek Chauvin watches as his attorney gives his closing argument.

  • Ex-Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of the murder of George Floyd.
  • In their initial statement, police said Floyd’s death was a result of a “medical incident.”
  • The statement made no mention that Chauvin kneeled on his neck for several minutes.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Almost a year ago, Minneapolis police initially reported the death of George Floyd as the result of a “medical incident during police interaction.”

On Tuesday, former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and manslaughter in the death of Floyd.

Floyd died on May 25, 2020. Video from his arrest showed Chauvin kneeling on his neck for more than nine minutes. The incident prompted national and international protests.

However, on the day of Floyd’s death, Minneapolis police issued a press release that said Floyd had physically resisted arrest and appeared to be under the influence.

The statement said police were responding to a call on forgery in progress.

“Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car. After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later,” the statement read.

It stressed that no weapons were used.

“At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident,” the statement read.

The video that was posted of the incident shortly after the statement was released told a different story. Chauvin can be seen kneeling on Floyd’s neck as he repeatedly says “I can’t breathe” before going limp.

The report made no mention of it.

Floyd was later pronounced dead. His final words were him calling out for his mother, who had died a few years prior.

In his closing argument, Minnesota prosecutor Steve Schleicher told the jury Chauvin was not following training and his use of force was not justified. The initial report did not mention that Chauvin’s actions violated the police department’s policies and training.

Transcripts of 911 calls made during the incident indicate witnesses were horrified. One caller said an officer had “pretty much just killed this guy.”

Read the original article on Business Insider

‘I’m not celebrating, I’m relieved’: Democratic lawmakers react to Derek Chauvin’s guilty verdict with tears and hugs

cori bush ayanna pressley george floyd verdict
WASHINGTON, DC – APRIL 20: Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO) embraces Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) as members of the Congressional Black Caucus react to the verdict in the Derick Chauvin murder trial in the Rayburn Room at the U.S. Capitol on April 20, 2021 in Washington, DC. Chauvin was found guilty on all three charges in the murder of George Floyd.

  • Democrats said they were “relieved” to hear the guilty verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial.
  • Rep. Cori Bush of Missouri was crying as the verdict was announced on Tuesday.
  • “Today just marks the beginning,” Rep. Karen Bass of California said.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Democratic lawmakers expressed their relief on Tuesday after a jury found Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin guilty in the death of George Floyd.

“Someone said it better than me: I’m not celebrating. I’m relieved,” Rep. Maxine Waters of California said.

“No joy today,” Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York tweeted. “Just relief.”

Reactions to the closely-watched case poured in shortly after the verdict’s announcement, which found Chauvin guilty of second- and third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

Democratic Rep. Cori Bush of Missouri, a Black Lives Matter activist, was captured crying and hugging fellow Democratic Rep. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts.

cori bush ayanna pressley george floyd verdict
WASHINGTON, DC – APRIL 20: Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO) (C) and Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) walk with their arms around each other as members of the Congressional Black Caucus walk to a news conference following the verdict in the Derick Chauvin murder trial in the Rayburn Room at the U.S. Capitol on April 20, 2021 in Washington, DC. Chauvin was found guilty on all three charges in the murder of George Floyd.

“This feels different for our community, justice feels new and long overdue,” Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota said in a tweet.

Many high-profile Democrats also used the moment to highlight the ongoing issue of systemic racism in law enforcement, and the need for a congressional response.

“America was forever changed by the video of Derek Chauvin killing George Floyd,” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said, referring to the footage of Chauvin, a white police officer who knelt for over nine minutes on the neck of Floyd, a Black man, while he was handcuffed and lying facedown on the ground. The video from last May ignited a wave of anti-racism and police brutality protests across the country and the world over the summer.

“However, a guilty verdict doesn’t mean the persistent problem of police misconduct is solved. We’ll keep working for meaningful change,” Schumer said.

“Today just marks the beginning,” Rep. Karen Bass of California said during a press conference with members of the Congressional Black Caucus. Bass is the lead sponsor of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, a bill aimed at strengthening law enforcement accountability.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal of Washington echoed the stance, tweeting: “We must put an end to police brutality, racism, and white supremacy. We can’t just say Black lives matter-we must fight for Black lives.”

Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont tweeted that the verdict “delivers accountability” but “not justice for George Floyd.”

“Real justice for him and too many others can only happen when we build a nation that fundamentally respects the human dignity of every person,” he said.

For his part, Rep. Jamaal Bowman of New York brought attention to other lives lost at the hands of law enforcement, including Daunte Wright, Adam Toledo, Tamir Rice, and Breonna Taylor, and underscored the need for justice.

“This verdict doesn’t change that racism, or the work ahead needed to transform those systems to serve us,” he wrote on Twitter.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Judge revokes bail for Proud Boys leaders after prosecutors introduce new Capitol riot evidence

AP21039721090052
In this Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021 file photo Ethan Nordean, with backward baseball hat and bullhorn, leads members of the far-right group Proud Boys in marching before the riot at the U.S. Capitol.

  • A federal judge ruled two accused Proud Boys leaders would be jailed again, ahead of their trials.
  • Ethan Nordean and Joseph Biggs are facing charges related to the January 6 Capitol riot.
  • But prosecutors introduced new evidence last month that showed the defendants planning the attack.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Two accused Capitol rioters and Proud Boys leaders are headed back to jail to await trial on charges related to the Capitol attack, after prosecutors introduced new evidence that ended the men’s short bout of freedom.

Ethan Nordean of Washington and Joseph Biggs of Florida are accused of conspiring to halt the certification of President Joe Biden’s electoral victory on January 6. The two are also accused of coordinating and leading members of the far-right paramilitary group, the Proud Boys, in an organized attack on the US Capitol as some of the first rioters to breach the building, according to prosecutors.

Nordean and Biggs were both arrested and jailed following the siege, but were granted pretrial release under strict conditions earlier this year.

Federal Judge Beryl Howell noted weaknesses in the government’s case during the prosecution’s first bid to detain the men, according to Politico, but prosecutors at the time declined to present supporting evidence for the most incriminating allegations, in part because a more serious set of charges against the Proud Boys were in the works, the outlet reported.

Prosecutors issued that indictment in March, connecting Nordean, Biggs and two other suspected regional Proud Boys leaders, Zach Rehl and Charles Donohoe, to the apparent conspiracy.

On Monday, Judge Timothy Kelly, a Trump appointee, ordered Nordean and Biggs to be arrested and jailed again while they await their pending trials, the Associated Press reported.

Prosecutors introduced new evidence including messages the defendants sent using Telegram the government says show Nordean and Biggs taking a central role in strategically planning the obstruction of Congress on January 6, when a pro-Trump mob breached the Capitol in an attack that left five dead.

Court documents released in March accuse Nordean of taking “ultimate leadership of the Proud Boys’ activities” on January 6, after fellow members reportedly nominated him to have “war powers” following the arrest of the group’s leader, Enrique Tarrio, days before the siege. Prosecutors say Nordean helped plan the Proud Boys’ “tactical” and coordinated attack, that included members wearing dark colors and positioning themselves strategically across the Capitol campus to avoid detection.

Biggs, meanwhile, is accused of acting as an on-the-ground leader and a point of contact for dozens of Proud Boys in attendance, Politico reported. Biggs allegedly entered, exited, and then re-entered the building during the attack, making it as far as the Senate chamber, according to USA Today.

During his Monday ruling, Kelly said though the presented evidence does not suggest the defendants used physical violence or ordered criminal acts that day, the men’s encrypted communications and actions leading up to, during, and after the riot, show Nordean and Biggs participated in planning and celebrating the attack.

Earlier this month, lawyers for Nordean argued he shouldn’t be sent back to jail, in part because other accused Capitol rioters have alleged mistreatment behind bars, according to a Politico article.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Store owners in Minneapolis are boarding up ahead of the Derek Chauvin murder-trial verdict, fearing potential unrest

george floyd derek chauvin trial
Law enforcement stands guard as crews remove artwork from temporary fencing outside the Hennepin County Government Center on April 2, 2021 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

  • Businesses in Minneapolis are preparing for the Derek Chauvin murder-trial verdict.
  • Fearing unrest, some restaurant and store owners are boarding up their premises.
  • An owner of a dry cleaners told the New York Times he’d cleared out his store.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Stores and restaurants in Minneapolis are preparing for potential unrest as they await the verdict in the Derek Chauvin murder trial.

Chauvin, a 45-year-old former police officer, is accused of killing George Floyd in May 2020. Floyd died after Chauvin kneeled on his body for 9 minutes and 29 seconds. Chauvin has pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

The jury heard closing arguments of the trial on Monday. The verdict could arrive this week.

Floyd’s death triggered months-long protests over racism and police brutality in the US and worldwide. Some stores, including in Minneapolis, were damaged or looted, and now some business owners in the city are preempting possible unrest after the Chauvin verdict by boarding up or emptying their stores.

The Wall Street Journal reported that some businesses, including a Target, were boarded up on downtown’s Nicollet Mall. The New York Times also reported that phone stores, furniture shops, restaurants including Quruxlow and Hook Fish & Chicken, and Mercado Central, a Latino market in the city, had been boarded up.

An NPR reporter tweeted on Wednesday that Haskell’s wine shop was also boarded up.

Samir Patel, owner of dry-cleaning shop Elite Cleaners, told the Times on Monday that he’d moved customers’ clothes to his home. He hadn’t boarded up the shop, he said.

“We don’t know what will happen,” he added.

Read more: Derek Chauvin’s trial is testing the stress levels of Black Americans. Here’s what leaders and allies can do to help.

Patel said his shop suffered half a million dollars in damage in the civil unrest following Floyd’s death. He had to exhaust his savings and retirement accounts to reopen the business, he said. The city looked like “a war zone” at the time, he added.

From Wednesday, schools in Minneapolis will switch to remote learning, and razor wire has been wrapped around police buildings. National Guard troops are already present in some areas of downtown Minneapolis.

Insider has reached out to other businesses and retailers in Minneapolis to see how they’re preparing.

Are you a business owner in Minneapolis? Get in touch with this reporter via Twitter, or email kduffy@insider.com.

Read the original article on Business Insider

At least 64 people have died at the hands of police since Derek Chauvin’s trial began. More than half were people of color.

Chauvin trial
Derek Chauvin has been charged with murder and manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd.

  • 64 people died at the hands of police since Chauvin’s trial began, The New York Times reported.
  • Former officer Derek Chauvin was charged with the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man.
  • Police across the country killed an average of 3 people a day since the trial started on March 29.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

At least 64 people, more than half of which are people of color, have died at the hands of police since the start of Derek Chauvin’s trial, The New York Times reported.

In May 2020, the former Minneapolis police officer was charged with the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man.

Chauvin’s trial started on March 29, and the number of deaths at the hands of police in the 21 days since then average to more than 3 people a day.

On March 29, police in Chicago fatally shot 13-year-old Adam Toledo after chasing him down an alley.

The next day, Michael Hughes, 32, was fatally shot by police at a Quality Inn in Jacksonville, Florida, after police said he tried to grab a taser, WJXT reported.

On March 31, a 40-year-old mentally ill man in Claremont, New Hampshire, was shot multiple times and killed after an exchange of gunfire with state police, The Concord Monitor reported.

On April 11, an officer in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, fatally shot Daunte Wright, 20, during a traffic stop. His death is not far from where Floyd died and where Chauvin is on trial.

Incidents like these have occurred every day since and activists across the country are calling for change to the way law enforcement deals with civilians, especially people of color.

“How many more losses must we mourn?” Miski Noor, the co-executive director of the Minneapolis-based activist group Black Visions, told The Times.

Of the 64 incidents reviewed by The Times, at least 42 involved people accused of having firearms, more than 12 involved people who were mentally ill, and several involved domestic violence.

Additionally, almost all the victims were men, the vast majority Black or Latino. The majority were also young; many of whom under the age of 3o include four who were just teenagers, The Times found.

Read the original article on Business Insider