Every so often, Spotify will come out with a similar personalized feature – this time, they’ve unveiled the “Only You” page.
Only You compares all the songs and artists you have saved, and notes which ones are the most different from one another, and which combinations set you apart from other users. Spotify claims they’ve done this by analyzing every user’s music tastes, and picking out the songs or artists that you listen to together, but no one else does. For example, if you listen to both heavy metal and classical baroque pieces, that might show up.
You’ll also get a faux-astrology reading, and a page where you can find special playlists made just for you.
Here’s how to find and share your personalized Only You list.
How to find and use Spotify’s Only You feature
You can find Only You in either of Spotify’s smartphone apps for iPhone and Android. Before anything, make sure that the app is fully updated.
1. Open the Spotify app and log into your account if you haven’t already.
2. If you haven’t seen Only You before, it might pop up automatically, or on your Home tab. Otherwise, tap Search at the bottom of the screen.
3. Underneath the search bar, you should see a pop-up labeled Find out how you listen. Tap this.
4. Your Only You list will start playing. Either wait for each page to pass, or tap the right side of the screen to progress.
5. On the seventh page, you’ll be asked to plan your “Dream Dinner Party” – you can select three artists you like, and Spotify will make you playlists of their most popular songs, and songs by artists like them. Tap Add Mixes to Your Library to save the playlists.
6. When you’re done, you’ll be shown every page in the Only You slideshow. Tap Share under any page, and you can send it to a friend or another app.
Since its debut in 2013, Google has positioned its Chromecast as one of the most affordable and dynamic streaming devices on the market. Compatible with all sorts of devices, the Chromecast lets you stream movies, music, websites, and more on your TV.
If you’re looking to stream to a Chromecast from your iPhone, here’s how to set up and watch almost any content from your paired Apple and Google devices.
How to stream to Chromecast from an iPhone
The Google Home app for iPhone lets you link Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, HBO, and other popular streaming services and stream them using the Chromecast that’s plugged into your TV. Just make sure that every device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
1. With your Google Home app open on your iPhone, tap the Media icon.
2. Under the “Manage Your System” section, select whether you want to access available Music, Video, Podcast, or Radio services.
3. In the list of available apps, tap “Link” under the service you want to add to your iPhone’s Google Home app.
4. In the confirmation box, tap “Link Account” to be brought to the service’s sign in page where you can enter your account username and password.
5. Once logged in, closeout of Google Home and tap the icon for the streaming service you just linked.
6. Select the media you want to play on your TV through your Chromecast device.
7. On your iPhone’s screen, locate the Google Chromecast “casting” icon, which may be located in various places depending on the app.
8. Select the name of your Chromecast from the list of available Chromecast devices and begin watching.
With a vast library of TV shows, movies, and original programming, most people would agree that Netflix is an essential part of the entertainment landscape.
Like its competitors, Netflix offers a variety of subscription tiers, which differ in price and features. In the US, Netflix even still offers the ability to order DVD and Blu-ray discs in the mail.
Here’s a guide to what Netflix charges for each of its plans.
How much Netflix costs per month
Netflix offers three streaming plans: Basic, Standard, and Premium, starting at $9 per month and ending at $18 per month. Here’s what you get with each plan, and how much each one costs.
Access to content
Standard Definition (not HD)
Every Netflix title
High Definition (HD)
Every Netflix title
HD and 4K Ultra HD
Every Netflix title
Additionally, each Netflix plan lets you download movies and shows onto your device to watch when you don’t have internet. The Basic plan lets you download onto one device at once, the Standard plan allows you two devices, and the Premium plan gives you four.
How much Netflix’s DVD and Blu-ray plans cost per month
Related Article Module: Yes, Netflix still mails DVDs – here’s how to sign up for Netflix’s DVD Plan, and rent movies with no late fees
With both pricing plans, Netflix sends you discs that you can keep for as long as you want. As soon as you return that disc, Netflix immediately sends you the next disc listed in your queue. There’s no limit to how many discs you can watch over time, though – the only limitation is how quickly you can watch and return discs.
You can order a massive variety of shows and movies by disc, even including some that streaming Netflix doesn’t have.
Here are the pricing plans. Note that they’ll differ depending on whether you want just DVDs, or both DVDs and Blu-rays.
How many discs you can have at once
How many discs can you rent per month
$7.99 for DVDs, $9.99 for DVDs and Blu-rays
$11.99 for DVDs, $14.99 for DVDs and Blu-rays
Once you order a DVD from dvd.netflix.com, it’ll arrive in about one to three business days. When you’re done with it, just place it back in the red envelope provided and put it in the mail.
If your Roku streaming device is experiencing glitches or not performing the way it’s supposed to, you can reset it in a few different ways.
First, you should try restarting your Roku, as this soft reset does not erase any of your settings or log you out of your channels. In many cases, this will fix channels or apps that are repeatedly freezing or crashing.
Then, if the problem persists, you can perform a factory reset, which is a more holistic solution that restores your device to its original settings.
Here’s how to restart your Roku, or perform a factory reset.
How to restart a Roku device
You can restart your Roku from the Settings menu, or do a forced reboot by pressing a series of buttons on your Roku remote or unplugging the Roku power cord.
To restart your Roku from Settings:
1. From the “Home” menu, scroll down to the “Settings” menu.
2. Select the “Settings” menu by pressing “OK” on the remote.
3. Scroll down to select the “System” option. Press “OK” on your remote to open the menu.
4. Scroll down to the “System restart” option and press “OK” on your remote.
5. Select “Restart.” Your device will shut off, then turn on again. You will see the bouncing Roku logo while the device is booting up.
To reboot your Roku if it’s frozen:
If your Roku encounters a more serious glitch, it may freeze and block you from navigating the menus. In that case, you’ll need to press a series of buttons on your remote control to trigger a reboot.
1. Press the “Home” button five times.
2. Press the “Up” arrow once.
3. Press the “Rewind” button twice.
4. Press the “Fast Forward” button two times.
5. After pressing the buttons in this order, your Roku will eventually turn off. After a few seconds, you should see the bouncing Roku logo, and your home screen will return soon after.
If you find you need to restart your device often for it to function properly, you could be experiencing issues with one of your installed channel apps, or the device itself. You can try deleting and re-installing any newly installed channel apps. Contact Roku support if you continually experience issues with your device.
How to factory reset a Roku device
When you factory reset your Roku, it will be set back to its original state. There are two methods to reset your Roku: selecting the reset option in the Settings menu, or pressing the reset button on the back of the device.
To factory reset your Roku from Settings:
1. Use the “Home” button on your Roku remote to jump to the home screen.
2. Navigate to the Settings menu by scrolling up or down until you find it.
3. Press “Ok” on your Roku remote to select “Settings.”
4. Choose “System” from the available menu items.
5. Choose “Advanced system settings.”
6. Select “Factory reset” from the available menu items.
7. When prompted, choose “Factory reset everything” and follow the reset wizard’s on-screen instructions.
To factory reset your Roku with the hardware reset button or pinhole reset:
Every Roku device comes with a hardware reset option. Newer devices will have a hardware reset button, while older devices will have a pinhole for resetting.
1. Locate the reset option on the outside of your Roku device. It will either be a tactile button or a pinhole button.
2. Press and hold the button for 10-20 seconds. If your device has a pinhole reset, you’ll need to use an object like a paperclip or bobby pin to press and hold the button.
3. Most Roku devices have an indicator light that will blink rapidly once the reset is complete.
What happens after you reset a Roku
After your device has been reset, it should boot up to the home screen. If you’re not selling the device or returning it, but instead looking to use the device again, you’ll need to reconnect to your home network.
Once you’re connected, log in to your Roku account on your computer or from your mobile device to relink it to your account. Your Roku channels will begin downloading after the device has been added to your Roku account. You’ll need to log in to all your channel apps again.
Amazon Prime is Amazon’s membership program, which allows users to access things like free two-day (or even two-hour) shipping on eligible items. If you haven’t hopped on the bandwagon yet, there’s a lot to consider.
One major factor that will impact your decision is how much Amazon Prime costs. The price of an Amazon Prime membership changes occasionally, and there are a few different options, so it’s good to stay updated on how much Amazon Prime is.
Here’s a breakdown of what it costs to get a Prime membership, what each membership covers, and other costs to consider before making your decision.
10 perks of an Amazon Prime membership
When you pay for Amazon Prime, you’ll be able to access the following benefits:
Free two-day delivery on Prime-eligible items (and yes, there are many of those – more than 100 million items, according to Amazon).
Free one-day and same-day shipping on select items (in millions), and free “ultra-fast” two-hour grocery delivery.
“Amazon Day,” which lets you make orders and then specify the day everything you’ve ordered that week will be delivered.
Free release-date delivery on select items, like video games and music.
Free streaming of Prime-eligible (as well as Amazon original) movies, TV shows, and Audible Channels.
Free streaming of more than two million ad-free songs in Amazon Music Prime, in addition to thousands of stations and offline listening.
Free games every month, including in-game content and a free monthly Twitch channel subscription.
Prime Reading, which provides you with access to over a thousand eBooks, magazines, comics, and more – across any device.
Is Amazon Prime worth it?
Overall, if you’re the type of person who frequently shops online and can afford the annual membership, the Prime membership may be a good way to save money.
Related Article Module: 13 reasons why an Amazon Prime membership is worth the $119 annual fee
The convenience factor is also quite high, since delivery can be as quick as two hours from ordering. And, assuming you take advantage of the various perks, it makes for a solid service. If you aren’t planning to spend more than the membership cost on deliveries in the next year, however, it probably doesn’t make sense to spring for the annual membership.
A monthly membership (or the free 30-day trial) might be a good option, if, for example, you knew you were going to be making a lot of orders in the next few weeks.
If you find you are no longer using Spotify, you can delete your account. However, you can only delete your Spotify account on the Spotify website through an internet browser – not on the mobile app.
Before closing your account, make sure you’re aware of the repercussions. You can also cancel your subscription without deleting your account altogether, and only use the free version of Spotify.
If you do close your account, you won’t be able to use your current username with Spotify again; you can, however, create a new account with the same email address. Additionally, you won’t have access to your playlists and followers anymore and you’ll lose all the music you’ve saved to your library.
Here’s how to close your Spotify account and erase your saved music.
If you’re trying to find a way to set up a new device with your TV, or share media in some other way besides casting, you’ve probably come across the term HDMI cable in your search.
You’ve also, however, probably come across the names of other cables, too – and cable combinations, device suggestions, different terms for different types of cables – overall, it can be a bit confusing to try to learn the definition of each acronym and remember the shape of their ports.
The HDMI cable is one of the most common and versatile cables out there, used for all kinds of things, from televisions to laptops to streaming devices and more. When first foraying into the world of tech accessories, this is one of the most essential ones to learn about.
What to know about HDMI cables
HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface. An HDMI cable is a single cable that is able to transmit audio and video from one device to another with one of these HDMI connections, rather than the two- to three-wire combos people needed before HDMI became more common.
Benefits of HDMI
HDMI was invented to create a new standard that would be useful across a number of devices, while also combining audio and visual input to make the wiring less complex for consumers. Before we had HDMI, people who wanted to hook up any kind of audiovisual equipment usually had to plug in two or three different wires in the right places in order to be able to properly display sound and picture.
These previous connections were also far less standardized – hooking up a Nintendo GameCube to your television was different than trying to hook up a DVD player, which was different than hooking up a digital camera. Having the singular, standard connection type has made it far simpler to navigate a world of increasingly complex technology.
That’s not the only reason that a new data transfer format became necessary, though. When HDTV came onto the scene in the mid-2000s, it became necessary to create a new standard that has the capacity to reliably transmit high-definition signals. HDMI transfers have more bandwidth and a higher refresh rate per second, which means that pictures and sound are much smoother and higher quality.
Peacock TV is NBC’s new streaming service, which offers thousands of hours of TV shows and movies.
If you have a Roku streaming device, you’ll be pleased to know that Peacock is available on Roku. You can stream the free version of Peacock or its paid subscription service, which offers even more content. Even the free version of Peacock offers more than 30 channels of content to choose from.
HBO’s streaming service HBO Max has tons of hit series people love, like “Friends,” “Rick and Morty,” and “The Bachelor,” plus great originals like “Euphoria,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.” HBO Max also offers tons of films to choose from on movie night – there’s something for everyone.
If you want to cancel Apple One during the free trial, or after the full subscription has begun, you need to know how. Fortunately, you can cancel through any device that lets you access your Apple ID Subscriptions page.