Hello everyone! Welcome to this weekly roundup of Investing stories from deputy editor Joe Ciolli. Please subscribe here to get this newsletter in your inbox every week.
Hello and welcome to Insider Investing. I’m Joe Ciolli, and I’m here to guide you through what’s been happening in markets. Here’s what’s on the docket:
- We spoke to investing legend Jeremy Grantham, who called the 2000 and 2008 bubbles. He laid out 4 indicators that have lined up for a historic loss of asset value, and broke down the psychology of investing in bubbly assets like Dogecoin.
- 29-year-old crypto investor Sam Bankman-Fried became a billionaire leveraging a crypto-arbitrage strategy. He shared his tips for investors looking to get into crypto trading, and explained why red-hot ether is unlikely to surpass bitcoin.
- Inflation rose more than expected in April, prompting a sharp market sell-off. Bank of America’s Savita Subramanian says stock-pickers are ill-prepared for further shocks – but has 2 trades for investors looking to capitalize.
Investing titan Jeremy Grantham made prescient calls ahead of the 2000 and 2008 bubbles. In an interview, he said the current market is eerily reminiscent of the dot-com bubble. He also shared the four indicators that have lined up for the biggest wipeout of value in modern history.
Read the full stories here:
Legendary investor Jeremy Grantham called the dot-com bubble and the 2008 financial crisis. He told us how 4 indicators have lined up for what could be ‘the biggest loss of perceived value from assets that we have ever seen.’
‘Nothing is more supremely irritating than watching your neighbors get rich’: Jeremy Grantham breaks down the psychology of investing in bubbly assets like Dogecoin – and shares where long-term investors can find cheap assets
Sam Bankman-Fried became a billionaire by leveraging a cryptocurrency-arbitrage strategy. He now runs a leading derivative cryptocurrency exchange, FTX.
In an exclusive interview, Bankman-Fried shares his tips for investors looking to get into crypto trading. He also explains why red-hot ether is unlikely to surpass bitcoin.
Read the full story here:
A 29-year-old crypto billionaire who’s perfected digital-currency arbitrage shares 2 tips for investors looking to get started in trading – and explains why ether is unlikely to surpass bitcoin
Inflation rose more than expected in April, which spooked investors. Bank of America’s Savita Subramanian says active managers are ill-prepared for it. She shared 2 trades for investors looking to capitalize on an inflationary environment.
Read the full story here:
Bank of America says Wall Street stock pickers remain vulnerable to an inflation shock – and recommends 2 trades for protection as prices rise
Stock pick central
Seeking experts who are willing to name names? Look no further:
- Rising star equity analysts give their 18 favorite stock picks of the moment, and explain why they recommend buying each one
- Credit Suisse says buy these 15 stocks that represent its analysts’ ‘highest-conviction’ calls and are set to outperform despite the market’s doubts
- Bank of America says buy these 7 semiconductor stocks that are best-placed to address the global chip shortage – or profit in spite of it
- Bank of America shares its 9 top-rated ETFs that track large and medium-sized companies – and explains why mid-caps are set for ‘one of the best periods’ of outperformance in modern history