Etsy is a popular e-commerce website where customers can find handmade gifts, craft supplies, and vintage items from independent sellers. Items are often customizable and made to order, lending a personal touch to any gift, and purchases benefit small businesses.
Before making a purchase, it’s important to note the seller’s policies – particularly when it comes to returns and exchanges. Some shops don’t accept returns, exchanges, or cancellations, while others do. When it comes to canceling an order, you need to contact the seller directly.
How to cancel an order on Etsy with an account
Etsy notes that accepting a cancellation request is at the discretion of the individual seller. Following the steps below starts the cancellation process, but it’s up to the seller to actually cancel your order.
1. Go to etsy.com. Click “Sign in” at the top-right corner. Sign in.
2. At the top-right corner, click your account icon (icon with “You” underneath).
3. Select “Purchases and reviews” from the dropdown menu.
4. Scroll down to find the order you wish to cancel, then click “Contact The Shop.”
5. Write a message to the seller indicating that you would like to cancel your order, then click “Send.”
How to cancel an order on Etsy without an account
1. Open the email you received confirming your order from Etsy. It will come from the email address email@example.com.
2. Reply to the email with a message to the seller indicating that you’d like to cancel your order.
Stadia, Google’s new cloud-based gaming platform, was built to be “platform-agnostic.” In other words, you can play Stadia on dozens of different devices, and have largely the same experience on each one.
That said, for many newcomers to the platform, it isn’t immediately clear just which platforms can run Stadia. So aside from a solid internet connection – a must-have for any streaming setup – how can you play Stadia?
In short, Stadia is available on most popular Android phones, new iPhones and iPads, any computer with Google Chrome, and TVs with a Chromecast Ultra plugged in. And if you’re using a phone or computer, you probably won’t even need a new game controller.
Here’s a guide to the hardware you’ll need to play Stadia, so you can get started streaming your favorite games right away.
How to play Stadia on an Android phone
Stadia supports most Google Pixel phones, all new Samsung S phones, most OnePlus phones, and more. On most modern Android devices – 6.0 and later – you’ll simply need to download the Stadia app to get started playing.
Like all platforms, you won’t need to download any games from Stadia – they’re streamed to you over the internet – so don’t worry about deleting photos to make room for it.
All Stadia games played on Android support touchscreen controls, but you can also use a real gamepad, as we’ll outline in a bit.
How to play Stadia on an iPhone or iPad
Although there is a Stadia app for iPhones, you can’t actually play Stadia games through it – you can only sign up for Stadia and set up your controller. This is due to a long-running rivalry between Google and Apple.
Instead, if you want to play Stadia on your iPhone or iPad, you’ll need to play through an internet browser. Here, we’ll use Safari, the default internet app that comes installed on every Apple device.
Just note that you’ll have to be running at least iOS 14.3 or iPadOS 14.3. Any version older than that can’t support Stadia.
1. Launch Safari on your iPhone or iPad and head to the Stadia website. Once there, sign into your Stadia account or tap “Try now” to create a new one.
2. After you log in, a pop-up will appear telling you that you can play in your browser, but warning you that the iOS version of Stadia is in beta. Tap “Got It,” and you’ll be shown your games.
3. Tap the red play button under any game’s picture to start playing it, or tap “Store” at the top to browse for new games.
And although you can’t play from the official Stadia app, you can add the Stadia website to your iPhone’s homescreen as a shortcut that looks just like any other app. To do this, scroll up, and then tap the sharing icon in the middle of the toolbar at the bottom of Safari. When a menu of options appears, tap “Add to Home Screen.”
How to play Stadia on a computer
Stadia can be run through Google Chrome on Mac, PC, and Linux computers.
Once you’ve signed in, you can start playing games directly from your browser. Just note that Stadia requires most games to be played in fullscreen mode, and for some, will need access to your computer’s microphone.
You can connect a controller from within your browser by clicking the controller icon in the top-right, selecting which controller you want to use, and then following the directions.
How to play Stadia on a TV with a Chromecast Ultra
If you’re a gamer who loves to use the biggest screen in your house, this setup is the one for you.
To play Stadia on your TV, you’ll need the following: A TV with an HDMI port, a Google Chromecast Ultra device, and a Stadia Controller.
Once you’ve done that, press the Stadia logo on your controller to put it into Linking Mode.
A code should appear on your TV screen – it’ll look like a random combination of buttons on your controller.
Enter the code on your Stadia Controller and wait for your Chromecast to detect your controller. If the link is successful, Stadia will launch on your TV. If it’s unsuccessful, you’ll have to enter the code again.
If you don’t see a linking code appear on your TV, this might mean that your Chromecast isn’t set to “Ambient Mode.” To fix this:
1. Open the Google Home app on your smartphone and tap the icon for your Chromecast Ultra.
2. In the top-right corner, tap “Settings.” It may also look like a gear icon.
3. Under “Device Info,” tap “Ambient Mode.”
4. A new screen will appear. Scroll down until you find “Stadia Controller linking code” – click “Show” underneath it. The linking code will appear on your TV.
If you’re having issues connecting your Chromecast to Wi-Fi, the Google Home app can help with that too. If the controller won’t connect to Wi-Fi, you’ll need to use the Stadia app.
We generally associate one-stop shopping with convenience. We generally want to be able to buy all our groceries in the same store, listen to all of our music via a single music service, and pay all of our bills using one banking service.
That’s the idea behind the Apple ID subscription manager – Apple has tried to centralize all of your recurring payments for music, in-app purchases, and similar subscriptions in one place on your iPhone.
You should follow these steps to, at the very least, remind yourself what subscriptions you are paying for every month. You might be surprised to find that you are still being billed for some long-forgotten subscriptions. Once there, you can eliminate the ones you no longer need.
Just remember that this only applies for subscriptions that you signed up for using your Apple ID account. If you go through these steps but can’t find the service you’re looking for, it means that you didn’t use your Apple ID to sign up for it.
How to cancel a subscription on an iPhone
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap your name and Apple ID at the top.
2. On the Apple ID page, tap “Subscriptions.” You may need to enter your password or use Touch ID or Face ID to log into your account.
3. Review the list of active subscriptions. If you see one you want to learn more about or cancel, tap it.
This screen lists both active subscriptions and any old, cancelled subscriptions you’ve had in the past.
4. On the subscription page, review the details about your subscription. To cancel this subscription, tap “Cancel Subscription” and then confirm your choice. If you are in the middle of a free trial, you might see a message like “Cancel Free Trial” instead.
Be aware that you when you cancel a subscription mid-cycle, you will typically still have access to that service through the end of the current billing period. For example, if you cancel a service on February 15, but the subscription would normally be renewed on the first of every month, in most cases you will be able to continue using the service until the start of March.
How to restart a cancelled subscription on an iPhone
Regret choosing to cancel a service and want it back? No problem – you can easily do that by returning to the same place in Settings.
1. Open the Settings app and then tap your name and Apple ID at the top of the screen.
2. Tap “Subscriptions.” You may need to enter your password or use Touch ID or Face ID to log into your account.
3. Look for the list of expired subscriptions at the bottom of the screen. Tap the one you would like to reactivate.
4. On the subscription page, tap the subscription option you want and then confirm your choice. You’ll now be re-subscribed.
BritBox, the streaming service borne of a partnership between British television networks BBC and ITV, is the place where you can go to watch classic pieces of British TV and new series.
The BritBox app is available on most smart TVs, and installation is fairly simple for each of them, even though the methods of installation are slightly varied depending on what brand you have.
How to get BritBox on your smart TV
1. From the Home screen on your TV, in the top toolbar, scroll over to “Apps.”
2. Search for BritBox among the suggested channels. If you can’t find it, press and hold the mic button at the top of your Fire TV remote and say “BritBox” into it. If you searched using your voice, select Britbox from the list of matches.
3. Click the BritBox logo, and when it appears on your screen, click the “Get” button to download the app to your TV.
4. Return to home, open the app, and log in or sign up.
1. From the home screen, open the iTunes store.
2. Enter “BritBox” into the search bar, and select it when it appears.
3. Click “Download.”
4. Return to Home, open the BritBox app, and either log in or sign up.
1. On your TV’s home screen, scroll through the apps until you see the “Add Channels” option and select it.
2. Scroll down to Search Channels and find BritBox.
3. Press “Add channel” to add it to the list of channels on your home screen.
4. Return to “Home,” open the BritBox app, and log in or sign up.
1. From the home screen, go to the LG Content Store.
2. In the search box, type “BritBox.”
3. Select the BritBox app when it appears.
4. Press “Install.”
5. Once installed, go back to the home screen to open the app and log in or sign up.
If your TV is not listed here, that means that the BritBox app is not yet available for your brand. However, this does not mean that you can’t watch BritBox on your TV – if you subscribe through Amazon Prime or Apple TV, instead of directly on BritBox, you can watch via those apps instead.
Tubi is a relatively new streaming service that allows you to watch movies and shows from its partner services for free any time. Many people like Tubi because, in spite of the fact that it’s not a paid streaming service, it’s a free and safe way to watch content you like whenever and wherever you want.
Tubi is a completely free streaming app
Yes! Tubi is free to download, free to use, and doesn’t offer any paid upgrades or put certain content behind paywalls.
There is a catch, of course, but it’s just that there are ads. Tubi takes breaks at 12 to 15 minute intervals for ads, and these ads pay for the content – so it’s kind of like regular TV, but where you get to choose what’s on.
Tubi is safe to use
Tubi is a completely safe, above-board streaming service. It’s not like other sites that post a few – often dubious – links for a limited number of movies and TV episodes. It’s legal, and it won’t show pop-up ads or security warnings, and won’t redirect you anywhere.
Tubi offers a wide range of TV and movies
On the “Browse” tab of its website and apps, Tubi offers programming from a number of partner studios, like MGM, Lionsgate, Paramount, and Full Moon Pictures. Some of their most noteworthy inclusions are movies like “The Pursuit of Happyness,” “Dinner For Schmucks,” “Major League,” “Girl Interrupted,” and “Kung Fu Panda.” There are also TV shows, like “Hell’s Kitchen,” “Daredevil,” “Dance Moms,” “The Masked Singer,” and “Forensic Files.” They even have a separate section of content just for kids.
Etsy was founded in 2005 to connect small, indie artists, creators, and collectors with customers looking for gifts, collectibles, and goods with a more personalized touch.
Just two years after the site launched, it already had nearly half a million users and $26 million in sales, VentureBeat reported. By 2018, the e-commerce company had racked up some 2 million sellers and 50 million products, according to Yahoo.
It achieved this rapid and continued success not through warehouses but its web of independent sellers. It’s a community of online shop owners that for years has been composed of mostly women – 87% of Etsy sellers identified as women in 2019, the platform self-reported.
Here’s everything you need to know before buying and selling on the Etsy platform.
What is Etsy?
Etsy is an online marketplace where independent artists and crafters can sell their goods. Etsy is primarily associated with handmade toys, collectibles, art, home goods, vintage furniture, jewelry, clothing, and holiday items, in addition to crafts and craft supplies.
Unlike Amazon and Walmart, everything on the site is made, collected, curated, and sold by its sellers. These independent business owners not only produce their goods but manage their orders and inventory, too. Etsy acts as the middle-man, giving smaller, independent creators a platform to find and attract customers.
What you need to know about buying on Etsy
The retail platform sorts its offerings by categories to help customers narrow down their search queries, in addition to offering recommendations for items and sellers based on their browsing history. If you are looking for a specific item, you can use the search bar at the top of the page to find it. But if you prefer to browse based on keywords or item type, Etsy links to various buying categories directly below the search feature.
Anyone can purchase items on the site, whether you have an Etsy account or want to checkout as a guest. The purchasing process is much like other online retailers, allowing you to add items to a digital car before checking out. The e-commerce retailer accepts credit cards, debit cards, Etsy gift cards and credit, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and some bank transfer services and PayPal where the option is available. As a global retailer, some buyers can even pay through country-specific installment methods.
Because all Etsy shop owners manage their inventory, they’re also responsible for their shipping. Most sellers on Etsy ship globally and allow you to choose from various shipping methods, with some even offering a free option. Because each seller chooses their shipping method, ordering from multiple sellers means you’ll likely receive packages from different carriers at different times, even if you ordered them all at once. Luckily, if a shipping issue occurs, Etsy offers a tool to check your order number and shipping confirmation alongside a chat app that will put you in direct contact with your seller to resolve the issue.
What you need to know about selling on Etsy
Those interested in opening up a shop on Etsy will be joining a network of millions of independent sellers. There are guidelines for selling any item on the site. But if you’re specifically interested in selling “vintage” pieces, Etsy has a verification process that begins with you confirming whether the piece is at least 20 years old.
Regardless of what you’re selling, there is no fee to set up your account, but there are fees for when you list, sell and ship your products. To set up a shop, you need to list the following information:
How you want to get paid by buyers
Your bank information to pay Etsy fees
Once you’ve got all this information collected, you can create your first listing. It costs $0.20 to list an item for sale on Etsy. Each item you list has a four-month shelf life before it is sold or deleted. Etsy takes 5% of the sale price of the item and 3% if you accept Etsy Payments, which includes a $0.25 processing fee. And suppose you want to advertise or promote your products on the Etsy homepage. In that case, it will also cost you a specific percentage of your sales or an upfront cost, depending on the duration of the advertising.
As you build out your shop, it’s digital appearance and prices will be essential factors to consider in building a signature brand customers will trust and return to. Many successful creators try to pick out unique usernames, themes, include high-quality images, and practice search engine optimization (SEO) techniques to find potential customers.
Discord messaging has improved with the addition of a Reply function.
The feature lets you reply to other Discord users’ comments directly, instead of having to send your reply like any other message. Your reply will even include a link back to the comment you’re responding to, making it easy for anyone to follow the conversation.
You’ll also have the option to tag and notify the person you’re replying to, which is great if you’re responding to a message sent some time ago.
Here’s how to reply to messages on Discord, using the desktop or mobile versions of the app.
How to reply on Discord for desktop
This method works for both the internet browser version of Discord and the desktop app version.
1. With Discord open, locate the comment you want to reply to.
2. Hover your cursor over the comment so a bar of icons appears to the right of the message. In this bar, click the arrow icon – or if the arrow isn’t there, like if you’re replying to your own comment, click the ellipsis icon, and then the “Reply” option.
3. Type your reply. By default, if you’re replying to another user, there will be a blue @ sign labeled “On” above the text box – if you keep this set to “On,” the person you’re responding to will be tagged and notified. Click it to turn this off.
4. When you’ve finished, press the Enter or Return key to send your message. You can also click the “X” icon above the text box to cancel the reply.
If done successfully, your reply will appear in the channel, with the message you’re replying to above it.
How to reply on Discord for mobile
The mobile version of Discord lets you reply to other users in a similar fashion to the desktop version; you’ll just be tapping instead of clicking.
1. With the Discord app open, locate the comment you want to reply to.
2. Tap and hold on the comment. A menu will appear with more options available.
3. In the menu that appears, tap “Reply.”
4. Type your reply. If there’s a blue @ sign that says “On” above your message, the person you’re responding to will be notified. If you tap this @ sign, this will be turned off, and the user won’t be notified.
5. When you’re ready, send the message, or tap the “X” icon above your message to discard the reply.
If done successfully, your reply will appear in the server.
In days past, if you wanted to share a tweet to Snapchat, you needed to screenshot it and then share your screenshot.
But now, there’s a better, more integrated option: iOS users can share tweets to Snapchat directly with a few taps, allowing their followers to navigate to the tweet and see the replies (or share it themselves).
Here’s how iOS users can get started sharing tweets to Snapchat.
How to add a tweet to Snapchat
1. Open Twitter and navigate to the tweet you want to share. The tweet must be from an account that’s public – if the tweeter’s username has a lock icon next to it, the tweet can’t be shared.
2. Tap the tweet’s sharing icon, which looks like an arrow pointing upwards out of a box. It’ll be in the bottom-right corner of the tweet.
3. You’ll see “Snap Camera” as a share option. Tap it. If you don’t see this option, it means that either Twitter or Snapchat needs to be updated, or you don’t have Snapchat installed and set up.
4. Snapchat will open, with your tweet inserted on the screen. Don’t worry about the placement of the tweet – you can adjust this after you’ve recorded the snap.
5. Take your snap – it can be a picture or video. Add any text, effects, or filters you’d like, and then move the tweet to where you want it. You can also rotate and resize it freely.
6. Tap the send button in the bottom-right corner of the screen and select your recipients, then tap the blue arrow in the bottom-right to send it.
To open the tweet you sent so they can see the replies or share it, your recipient will need to swipe up on your snap.
When you’re selling, donating, or recycling a computer, it’s critical that you ensure you’re not accidentally giving someone else access to your personal and private data stored on the computer. One way to do that is to thoroughly wipe (not simply erase) your old hard drive – for details on how to do that, see our article on fully wiping your computer’s hard drive.
You can go further, though. For the ultimate personal security, you can remove the hard drive from your computer before you give it away and destroy the drive. That’s not as hard as it sounds, and ensures your old data is completely inaccessible to anyone ever again.
The tools you’ll need to remove and destroy a hard drive
You don’t need much to disassemble and ruin a hard drive:
A Torx screwdriver to open the case
A flathead screwdriver to pry open the case
How to find and remove the hard drive from your computer
Start by removing the hard drive from your PC. If you have a desktop or tower PC, unplug it and remove the cover or side panel (some cases are toolless and you only need to loosen some restraints, while others might require a screwdriver to remove screws).
Look for the hard drive, which will be inserted in a drive bay or screwed to the side of the chassis. In most cases, you can simply disconnect the power and data cables and slide the drive out of the computer, but it might be screwed in place, in which case you’ll need to use a Philips head screwdriver to get it out of the PC.
If you have a laptop, you might need to refer to your user guide or contact the laptop’s customer support for information on how to remove the hard drive – the access panel might be on the bottom of the case or you might need to remove the keyboard to reach the hard drive.
How to destroy a hard drive the fast way
If you’re in a hurry, you can damage it in a way that only a dedicated hacker will be able to recover any data.
1. Flip the hard drive over so you can see the main circuit board.
2. Use a Torx driver to unscrew the circuit board using the four Torx screws.
3. Remove the board, break it in half, and discard it.
4. Now you can recycle the hard drive knowing that someone can’t simply connect the drive to another PC to read its data, so it’s safe from casual users.
How to destroy a hard drive the thorough way
If you are going to take the time to get your Torx driver and remove the circuit board, you might as well be thorough, since it only takes another five minutes to completely destroy the drive.
1. Remove the Torx screws around the outside edge of the top plate on the hard drive case.
2. There will usually be one additional “hidden” Torx screw under the paper label. Feel around with your finger for a depression and then use a flathead screwdriver to tear the label away. Then use the Torx driver to remove the final screw.
3. Pull the top plate off. You’ll probably need to pry it off with the flathead screwdriver. If it’s extremely hard to remove, make sure there isn’t an additional screw holding it together.
4. Now you can see the hard drive platters – there might be several of them stacked atop one another, each with its own read/write head which looks sort of like a phonograph’s tone arm.
5. Continue to disassemble the internal components by removing the tone arm and the platters themselves. There will probably be about three Torx screws on the spindle holding the platters in place.
6. At this point, the very act of exposing the platters to air and handling them with unprotected fingers has almost certainly destroyed the data on the drive. To be thorough, use a flathead screwdriver to scratch the surface of each platter. Now anyone would be hard-pressed to recover anything of value from this drive.
Acorn TV is a streaming video subscription service that specializes in television programs from the UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, and a handful of other countries.
What Acorn TV offers
Acorn TV offers a broad range of content from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and Spain, and the service offers a large number of exclusive mysteries, dramas, comedies, and documentaries. Acorn continuously expands its offerings, but currently licenses shows from BBC Studios, ITV, All3Media, and others.
The service offers many programs that will be familiar to people who have spent time in Acorn’s various focus countries, such as “Doc Martin,” “Murdoch Mysteries,” and “A Place to Call Home” – but Acorn also creates its own original content. Some exclusive shows the service has premiered include “Queens of Mystery,” “Agatha Raisin,” “Loch Ness,” “Striking Out,” and “Detectorists.”
How much Acorn TV costs
You can start an Acorn TV subscription for $5.99 per month or you can pay for an annual subscription of $59.99 per year, which saves you $12 per year. If you are a new subscriber, you can also get a seven-day free trial.
How to subscribe to and watch Acorn TV
You can subscribe to Acorn TV directly by visiting the Acorn TV website. With a subscription, you can watch Acorn TV in a web browser, in a mobile app on your phone or tablet, as well as on streaming media players like Roku and Fire TV. After subscribing, you can sign into Acorn TV via its app in the streaming device of your choice. Here are the most common Acorn TV apps:
If you don’t own a device that has an Acorn TV app, you can also subscribe to Acorn via Amazon Prime. If you are an Amazon Prime or an Amazon Video subscriber, the cost to subscribe to Acorn is the same, but Acorn TV appears within your Amazon Video channels list.