If you own and use Apple devices, you may want to sync your files and data to iCloud so that you can back them up and access them regardless of where you are and which device you have handy.
By syncing through the service, your files stay up to date across all your devices, so you never have to worry about accidental deletion or not being able to access something you uploaded via your iPhone on your Windows PC, for instance.
iCloud for Windows lets PC users store their files without taking up any space on their computer. It also makes the iCloud files easily shareable with colleagues, friends, or family through File Explorer.
How to download iCloud for Windows
If you want to use iCloud’s features on your Windows PC, downloading and installing the software is a relatively simple and quick process that will get you up and running within a few minutes.
You can download iCloud for Windows directly from the Microsoft Store by clicking Get followed by Install and following the on-screen instructions as the installation progresses. You may need to wait a few minutes for the download to complete before you can proceed.
If you would like to install the iCloud program for Windows manually rather than through the Microsoft Store, you can also download the file directly from Apple. When prompted, follow these instructions.
1. Click Save File and when the download completes, open the file by double-clicking it.
2. Read through the terms and conditions and then select I accept, followed by Install.
3. After installation is complete, click Finish.
Note that you may need to restart your computer for the installation to complete. Once you have done so, you’ll be able to enter your iCloud username and password to begin using the program.
While Wi-Fi may be the more easily available option for connecting to the internet these days, many homes and businesses still rely on Ethernet to create networks between devices as well as between those devices and the online world.
What is Ethernet?
Ethernet is the most common type of local area network (LAN) technology, and it involves a hardwired connection to the internet through Ethernet cables. These cables – such as Cat5, Cat6, and so on – are used to tether a device to an internet router and transfer data.
Ethernet has the benefit of being faster than Wi-Fi thanks to its use of cables for a wired connection and its lack of reliance on radio waves; it also happens to be more stable and secure for the same reasons.
Ethernet functions on a local area network (LAN) basis, connecting a series of computers over a distance of up to about 10 kilometers, typically in a school or workplace setting within the same building.
While Ethernet might seem slightly outdated in the age of wireless connection, it remains highly useful for particular, intensive tasks, such as video streaming and virtual communication.
Stability: By the same token, Ethernet tends to make for a more stable connection to the internet than Wi-Fi, as its tethered cables provide a stability that a dependency on wireless frequencies can’t consistently offer.
Security: Ethernet connections are also more secure since you can control who has access to the LAN; if someone isn’t connected to the LAN, they have no access to its data and devices.
Disadvantages of Ethernet
Accessibility: It’s more difficult to add users to an Ethernet network as doing so requires empty router ports and cables, and many devices such as tablets and mobile phones don’t have built-in Ethernet ports.
Transportability: The hardwired, physical connection of Ethernet isn’t easily transportable from one location to another or even from one device to another.
Cost: Because Ethernet connections require equipment to facilitate, they can be expensive to expand and take a considerable amount of time and energy. While a single home office may be relatively simple to outfit, expanding it throughout a house, office building, or campus takes some effort. Professionals may even be required if additional wiring is needed.
Ease: It’s simple to implement and often takes only a basic level of knowledge to utilize.
If you’re like most users, you’ve probably got more data stored in iCloud than you realize. Photos, contact information, notes – even your Health app information is stored in the cloud by default.
But it isn’t always obvious how to access iCloud, or how to manage what data it stores. Luckily, it’s easy to do both.
How to access iCloud through the website
As long as you have a computer or phone that’s connected to the internet, you can access iCloud.
1. Head to icloud.com and enter the email address linked to your Apple ID account.
2. Click the arrow icon, and then enter your password.
3. If you have two-factor authentication set up on your Apple ID account, a code will be sent to all your devices. Enter this code on the iCloud website to gain access.
You’ll be shown a list of icons and options – more icons will be available on the desktop version of the site than the smartphone version. Click any of these icons to see the data stored in your iCloud account. From there you can delete, move, or download nearly anything you’ve saved.
How to access iCloud on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac
Alternatively, you can go through the Apple ID menu. This menu is at the top of the Settings app on every device.
On an iPhone or iPad, open Settings and then tap your name at the top of all the options.
On a Mac, click the Apple logo in the top-left corner and select System Preferences, and then Apple ID.
Once you’ve reached this page, tap or click the iCloud option.
You’ll be shown how much storage space you have in iCloud, and what kind of data it’s currently holding. Selecting the Manage option shows you exactly how much data each app takes, and lets you upgrade your iCloud storage plan.
You’ll also find an Apps Using iCloud section. Here, select which apps are allowed to save data to iCloud, and which ones have to keep their data stored only on your device. Turning off an option will erase its data from iCloud immediately.
App Tracking Transparency (ATT) requires apps to ask permission to track your activity across other apps and websites. This is especially important since the combination of these apps and websites create a strikingly detailed profile of how you spend your time online, and how you use your smartphone.
Now that Apple has included ATT in iOS 14.5 and the corresponding generational updates for other Apple devices, you can keep track of which apps and companies are tracking you.
How to enable App Tracking Transparency
Once your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV has been updated to iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, or tvOS 14.5 or later, you should automatically have App Tracking Transparency turned on.
Once enabled, ATT has a pop-up appear when you first use an app. The pop-up will ask if you want the app to track your activity across other apps or websites.
If you get tired of the apps letting you know who’s tracking you or asking for permissions, you can turn off ATT.
1. Open the Settings app on your device.
2. Scroll down and select Privacy. On tvOS devices, select General before Privacy.
3. Tap on Tracking, toward the top.
4. Tap the button switch next to Allow Apps to Request to Track to turn the feature on or off – when it’s on, the switch will be green.
5. The apps that have asked your permission to track you will also show up on this screen. You can turn on or off which apps track your activities by tapping the button next to each.
How to check what data your apps collect
You can find out what data your apps are collecting through an app’s page in the App Store. When you find the app you want to check out, click on it and scroll down. Toward the bottom you will find App Privacy, which shows what data that app collects. Some apps might surprise you with how much of your personal information they track.
Why turning off tracking for some apps might be disabled
Sometimes the App Tracking Transparency option may be grayed out, meaning you can’t turn it on. There are three situations in which this will be the case.
If you created your Apple ID in the last three days, the option to toggle ATT will be grayed out.
If a child with a child account or under the age of 18 is signed in on the device, the toggle will be grayed out.
If your Apple ID uses a profile that limits tracking or is managed by an educational institution, the toggle will be grayed out.
Sometimes you just need to give your eyes a break, even if you can’t get away from your various screens.
To help with this problem, many devices and services have provided a dark mode, which turns your background black and inverts or otherwise changes the color of text so there’s less overall brightness, and you may now be able to access a dark mode specific to Google searches.
Google search’s dark mode, explained
The Google search dark mode, currently in beta testing, is a display setting that lets you apply the new look to the Google homepage and your search results when using the desktop or mobile version of the site.
Since the feature is still in beta, you may not have access to it quite yet. But when you do, you should see a pop-up notification to that effect on Google search pages.
How to enable Google search’s dark mode on desktop or mobile
If your device is able to use Google search’s dark mode, you’ll see a notification stating Dark Theme is now available above the search field on Google’s homepage; on a mobile browser, it may also appear as a Dark Theme is available notification beneath the search field on a search results page. Select Turn on to enable the feature.
Once enabled, your search results page will switch to a dark theme, as depicted here on an iPhone’s Safari browser.
If that notification has come and gone, you might be able to turn on the feature through your desktop or mobile browser’s Google search settings.
The 280-character limit on Twitter can sometimes be limiting. That’s why it’s helpful to know how to post a video on Twitter.
You can record yourself sharing a long message and tweet the video with a bit of text, effectively increasing the amount of content you share. Or you can upload that amazing video of your cat or your panoramic sweep of the scenery at Machu Picchu.
You can also directly embed videos from platforms like YouTube into a tweet simply by copying and pasting URLs. Here’s how to do it all.
2. Click the What’s happening? text box beside your profile photo to compose a new tweet.
3. At the bottom-left of the tweet window, hit the Media icon, which looks like a pair of mountains.
4. In the pop-up window, select the video you wish to upload from your device.
5. Add any text you want to tweet with the video, and hit Tweet.
How to post videos on Twitter from your mobile device
1. Open the Twitter mobile app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android and log in to your account, if necessary.
2. Tap the quill icon in the bottom-left corner of the screen to compose a tweet.
3. On the next page, hit the Mediaicon, which looks like a pair of mountains, at the bottom-left of the text window.
4. Record a video or select one from your phone. You may need to enable Twitter’s access to your Camera or Photos app, which you can do via the Twitter tab on the main page of your phone’s Settings app.
5. Add text, then hit Tweet.
How to embed videos in a tweet
1. Copy and paste the URL of the video from the platform that’s hosting the video, like YouTube.
2. Paste the URL into a tweet – watch the character limit, as an incomplete link won’t work. You should see an embedded video preview appear in the tweet text box.
Adding your business to Google – whether it’s a restaurant open to the public or a hair salon run out of your home – is an important step to reach customers, make connections, and ultimately grow a successful business.
It also gives your business an air of legitimacy, and makes it searchable via Google Maps.
Here’s how to add your business to Google, and customize your business page.
How to add a business to Google
Note that the exact sequence of steps may differ depending on which selections you make on each page, and what kind of business page you’re creating.
1. Go to Google’s My Business site and log into your business account. Or, create a Google account for your business by visiting the Google sign-in page and selecting Create account.
2. From the My Business homepage, click Manage now and on the next screen, enter your business’ name into the search bar. In the drop-down under the search bar, select Create a business with this name.
3. On the next page, enter your Business name and Business category (such as restaurant, retail, barber shop, etc.). Then, select Next. You’ll be able to add additional categories later on.
4. Next you’ll need to choose whether you want your business’ location to appear on Google Maps. If you’re adding a restaurant or other business that’s open to the public, being on Google Maps is incredibly useful. But if you’re just adding a small business run out of your house, keeping that location private might be a good idea. Select Yes or No and hit Next.
5. If you chose to add your business to Google Maps, the next screen will ask you to enter your business address. If you chose to keep your exact location private, then the next screen will ask you to enter your service area(s). Fill out the relevant information and select Next.
6. Enter the phone number and website associated with your business and click Next.
7. On the next page, choose whether or not you want Google Business to send you updates and recommendations for your business, and hit Next.
8. If you chose not to provide a business address, you’ll need to enter your personal mailing address to verify your business. This address will not be visible to the public. Enter your address and hit Next, or choose Verify later.
9. Click the drop-down to select a method to verify your business. Depending on your type of business, only some verification methods may be available to you. For example, you may see Postcard by mail listed as the only available method.
Here are all the ways that you can verify your identity to Google:
By mail. Google will send a physical postcard that includes a verification pin, which you’ll then use to verify online.
By phone. Google will call you, and provide a verification code over the phone. This is only available for certain businesses.
By email. Google will send you the code over email. Again, this is only available for certain businesses.
Bulk verification. If your business has over 10 locations, you’ll have to submit an extra form to have them all verified at once. To do this, when you click “Get verified,” click “Chain” afterwards and enter all your info. Google will then take up to a week to process the request.
Instantly. If you have a Google Search Console account, and your business’ website is verified through Search Console, you can verify your account instantly. Some business categories aren’t allowed to do this.
10. Next, you’ll be taken through a series of prompts to set up your Google My Business page. You can add your services and business hours, set messaging permissions, write a business description, upload photos, and claim a $100 advertising credit through Google Ads.
11. Once you’ve entered all the essential information to set up your business, you’ll be taken to your Google My Business account page where you can add additional information, like a business logo and co-managers.
A table of contents adds a degree of formality and professionalism to any document, whether it’s a book report or a client proposal.
By organizing your document by its headings and content, you not only allow the person reading it to get a summary of your major points, you also allow people to jump right to the text they want to read.
You can easily add a table of contents in Microsoft Word from the Word desktop app or web client.
How to add a table of contents in Word on the desktop app
1. Note that the table of contents automatically generates based on headlines. When you write headlines, make sure to click on a headline style: Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc. If you already wrote your article, highlight each heading manually in your document and click on the heading types under Styles.
2. Click your cursor where you want to insert the table of contents.
3. In the toolbar at the top of the document, click on the References tab.
4. On the left side of the References toolbar, click on Table of Contents.
5. Click on the automatically generated table of contents type you want.
6. The table of contents is now in your document.
How to add a table of contents using the Word for the web
1. Open the document in your OneDrive on Word for the web. If it is not already in there, click on Upload in OneDrive to add your document to your OneDrive.
2. Place your cursor where you want to insert the table of contents.
3. In the toolbar at the top of the document, click the References tab.
4. Click on Table of Contents.
5. In the drop-down, click on Insert Table of Contents. This will function similarly to how it works in Word.
6. You can also edit the table of contents by clicking on References and then Table of Contents. This will also allow you to delete the table of contents.
How to remove a table of contents in Word
1. In the Word desktop program, click on the table of contents you want to remove.
2. Click on the Table of Contents submenu in the References tab.
3. Scroll down to and click on Remove Table of Contents.
Sometimes, you really need to know that your tech won’t fail you.
Whether you’re gearing up for a video job interview, making an important presentation to your team from home, or having some other important virtual interaction, a test meeting on Zoom is probably a good idea. It lets you make sure that your audio and video is working beforehand.
Here’s what you’ll need to do to get it done.
How to start a Zoom test meeting on a computer
For this method, you’ll have to have downloaded the Zoom app on your computer, and you need to be logged in to your account.
3. Select Open Zoom.us – this will prompt your Zoom app to open.
4. You’ll see a pop-up preview of your webcam. You have the option to select a camera if you have multiple to choose from. If everything looks good, click the desired button to join with or without video.
5. Next is the audio test: If you hear the ringtone (which will play automatically when the Zoom meeting opens), click Yes – otherwise click No and select a different microphone in the drop-down menu and re-do the test to make sure it works and when it does, select Yes.
6. Next, when prompted, speak aloud or make noise for a few seconds. If everything works, you’ll hear a recording of the noise or speech play back for you (if so, click Yes to move on) – otherwise select No and select a different microphone, then do the test again to make sure it works, then click Yes.
7. Click Join with Computer Audio twice as prompted.
8. Select Leave to end the test meeting.
How to start a Zoom test meeting on a mobile device
You should already be logged in to your account to speed up this process.
3. If you already have the app, select Launch Meeting, otherwise download it for your iPhone or Android device.
4. When prompted, confirm your choice to open the test meeting by selecting Open.
5. If necessary, give the app permission to use your camera and/or microphone.
6. If everything looks good, you’ll see your test results pop up on the screen with green check marks. Tap Done.
Note that the test results are only available on iPhone. Android users can enable their video and audio by clicking on the Start Video and Join Audio icons in the bottom-left. If your camera is working, you’ll see yourself in the video. Your microphone is enabled if it’s not crossed off with a red line in the Participants tab.
7. On an iPhone, if there’s a problem, you’ll see a pop-up explaining what isn’t working and how to fix it. Tap OK. (You’ll also see a yellow exclamation point next to the issue on your results.)
On an iPhone, exit the window, but leave the test open (rather than ending it), and follow the directions from the pop-up to allow the app to have the necessary access to your device. Then enter the test window again and will update with your new results. If it’s all clear, tap Done to end the test. Android users can hit Leave to exit the meeting since there isn’t a test result pop-up.