- You can screen record on your iPad, but first you’ll need to enable the feature.
- Once you enable iPad screen recording in Settings, just tap the record button in Control Center.
- Your screen recordings will be saved to Photos and can be edited or shared like any other video.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Just like the iPhone, every iPad lets you take a screen recording. This is great if you’re making a video tutorial demonstrating how to use an app, documenting a bug for tech support, or showing your winning move in a game.
To screen record on your iPad, you’ll first need to enable it, and then tap the record button in the Control Center. After that, you can start and stop the video at any time.
Enabling screen recording on your iPad
1. Start the Settings app, and scroll down to tap “Control Center.”
2. Tap “Customize Controls.”
3. You’ll be shown a list of Control Center features. If “Screen Recording” has a green plus sign next to it, tap that plus sign. If it’s got a red minus sign instead, just leave it alone – this means it’s already enabled.
How to screen record on an iPad
1. When you’re ready to record, open the Control Center by swiping down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. Tap the record button, which is a circle with a dot inside it. You should see the circle change into a three-second countdown, and then turn red to indicate it’s recording. You can use the countdown time to close the Control Center.
After the recording starts, you’ll see a small recording indicator at the top of the screen (and yes, this will also appear in the recording).
If you press and hold the record button, you can also turn on your microphone to narrate the screen recording, or choose an app to automatically send the video to once it’s done.
3. When you’re ready to stop recording, tap the recording indicator and then tap “Stop.” You can also open the Control Center and tap the record button again.
Finding and editing your iPad screen recordings
When you’re done, your iPad screen recording will appear in your camera roll. To see it, open the Photos app and it should be the most recent item.
You can share the video like any other, or edit it – for example, you might want to trim the start and ending so people don’t see you in the Control Center.
1. Tap the video in the Photos app to open it, and then select “Edit.”
2. At the bottom of the screen in the video timeline, tap the arrow at the leftmost edge and drag it towards the right until you’ve cut out enough footage. As it shrinks, the entire frame will become yellow.
3. Repeat this for the end of the video, dragging the arrow at the left side of the video’s timeline toward the right. You can press play at any time to ensure you like the edit.
4. Tap “Done” and then tap “Save as New Clip,” or just “Save Video” to overwrite the original.