Taking screenshots isn’t only easy – it’s incredibly useful. From forwarding text message conversations to saving receipts, saving photos on your iPad routinely comes in handy.
There are two ways to take screenshots on an iPad: using the physical buttons, or using the digital AssistiveTouch function. Here’s how to do both on any iPad.
How to take a screenshot on an iPad
To take a screenshot on your iPad, press the Home button and Power button at the same time.
If your iPad doesn’t have a Home button, press the Power button and the Volume Up button. Only a few iPad generations lack a Home button: the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pros, and the 2020 iPad Air.
When you take a screenshot on your iPad, the screen will flash and a preview of your screenshot will appear in the bottom corner. Once the preview slides away, your screenshot will be saved. You can find it in the Photos app.
Take a screenshot on your iPad without pressing buttons
If you don’t want to take a screenshot by pressing two buttons at once, you might want to try AssistiveTouch. This accessibility feature puts a button on your screen that you can use to perform multiple tasks, like taking screenshots.
To turn on AssistiveTouch, open your iPad’s Settings app and tap “Accessibility.” On the Accessibility page, tap “Touch” and then “AssistiveTouch.”
Turn AssistiveTouch on by flipping its switch at the top of the screen. Now, you’ll want to set up the screenshot function.
On the AssistiveTouch page, tap “Double-Tap.” You’ll be shown a list of functions that double-tapping can perform, from which you should select “Screenshot.”
Now, when you double-tap the gray AssistiveTouch button, you’ll take a screenshot.
Maya Kachroo-Levine contributed to a previous version of this article.
Taking a screenshot – a single still image of your iPhone’s screen – is pretty easy. And luckily, taking a screen recording – a video of your iPhone’s screen – is just as easy, once you know how to enable it.
Here’s how to screen record on your iPhone, and then find the video once it’s saved.
Enabling screen recordings on your iPhone
Before you can record your screen, you’ll need to turn on the screen recording feature.
1. Open the Settings app and then tap “Control Center.” Tap “Customize Controls.”
2. Find “Screen Recording.” If it isn’t already in the section labeled “Include,” tap the green plus sign next to it. You should see it move to the “Include” section.
If you ever want to disable screen recording again, just return to this screen and tap the red minus sign next to it.
How to screen record on your iPhone
Once you’ve turned the feature on, taking a screen recording is as easy as pressing a button.
1. Open your iPhone’s Control Center by swiping down from the top-right corner of the screen – or, if you have an iPhone with a home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap the “Record” button.
3. After a three second countdown, the Record button will turn red and it will record everything you do, even if you close the Control Center. You’ll know you’re still recording because the time, shown in the upper left corner, will be red.
5. To stop recording, tap the red time indicator at the top left of the screen and then tap “Stop.” You can also open the Control Center and tap the record button again.
Finding and editing your iPhone screen recording
Your new recording will appear in the Camera Roll. To see it, open the Photos app and it should be the newest item. From here, you can share or edit it like any other photo or video.
If you’re a perfectionist, you might want to trim the start or end of your video. You can edit the video and save it as a new clip – it won’t affect the original video, but will give you an edited version you can share.
1. Find the video in the Photos app and tap it.
2. Tap “Edit.”
3. At the bottom of the screen, tap and drag the arrow at the very start of the video to the right. It will become a yellow frame.
4. Size the frame to trim the video down to just the part you want to keep. You can press play at any time to ensure you like the edit.
One of the iPhone’s greatest assets is its connectivity. Built into Apple products are several ways to share what you’re viewing or working on from your iPhone to a Mac.
This can be useful if you want to display a photo album or app on your computer, or play video content directly from iPhone apps like Hulu.
The drawback to mirroring your iPhone to your Mac, however, is that you have to either use the QuickTime app on your Mac, which requires a wired connection, or download a third-party app, like Reflector, which uses AirPlay. Here’s how to do both.
How to mirror your iPhone to a Mac with QuickTime
1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac using your Lightning to USB cable.
2. Open QuickTime on your Mac.
3. Click on “File” in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
4. Click “New Movie Recording.”
5. Next to the red record button (bottom middle), click on the down arrow. Select your iPhone from the list of available devices. If it’s not there, try disconnecting and reconnecting your iPhone.
6. Your phone should now be fully mirrored on your computer, in the exact shape of your iPhone screen.
How to mirror your iPhone to a Mac with AirPlay
AirPlay is an Apple feature that lets you wirelessly stream content from one device to another. It’s designed for streaming from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to an Apple TV or AirPlay-compatible smart TV.
There’s no direct way to AirPlay, or screen mirror, from an iPhone to a Mac, but you can work around that by downloading a third-party app like Reflector, and connecting both devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
To mirror your iPhone to Mac, first download Reflector on Mac. Then open the Control Center on your iPhone, click AirPlay, and select the Mac you want to mirror to.
Here’s a full step-by-step guide.
1. Download the Reflector app on your Mac, and open it.
2. You can either AirPlay content directly from an app that allows for AirPlay like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or the NFL app, in this example. Or, you can AirPlay your entire iPhone screen by opening the Control Center.
3. If you’re AirPlaying from within an app, start playing content, like a show or movie, and hit the AirPlay symbol (it’s a rectangle with a solid triangle at the bottom) in the upper-right corner of the video.
If you’re AirPlaying from the Control Center, select the “Screen Mirroring” tile.
4. Once you’ve selected either the AirPlay symbol from within an app or “Screen Mirroring” from the Control Center, a pop-up will ask you to select a device – tap the name of your Mac.
5. Your iPhone will ask for an AirPlay Code, which will be displayed on your Mac. Type the code into the text box on your iPhone. Your iPhone content will now show up on the Reflector program on your Mac.
One of the advantages of having a large computer monitor is being able to see two or more windows side by side on the same screen.
In Windows 10, splitting your screen makes it easier to copy and paste between windows, see information from multiple sources at once, or just generally multitask. You can divide your screen with two, three, or four windows. Here’s how to do it.
How to split screen on Windows 10
To split screen in Windows 10, simply drag a window all the way to one side of the screen until it snaps into place. Then select another window to fill the other half of your screen.
Here’s a full step-by-step guide with keyboard shortcuts.
Split screen between two windows
1. Drag one of the windows by its title bar to the left or right side of the screen. You’ll see an outline of the window appear – release your mouse and the window will snap into that outlined position.
2. You should now see all your other open programs appear in thumbnails on the opposite side of the screen.
3. Click one of the other program windows. It will snap to the other side of the screen, so you’ll have two windows side by side.
Split screen between four windows
If you have a larger display, you can snap up to four windows to the screen – one in each corner. The process is similar to snapping a window to either side of the screen:
1. Drag one of the windows by its title bar to a corner of the screen. As the cursor reaches the corner, the screen will flash and you’ll see an outline of where the window will appear. Let go of the mouse button to snap the window into place.
2. Drag the next window to another corner in the same way. Again, let go of the mouse to snap it into place.
3. In the empty space of your screen, you should see thumbnails of your remaining open windows. Click the program you want and, if you want it to take up a third of the screen, snap it to the entire remaining side of the screen. If you want to pin four windows, drag it by the title bar to snap it into one of the remaining corners, and then select another window to pin to the final corner.
At any time, you can “unsnap” a window by dragging it by the title bar away from the edge or corner.
Intuit’sQuickBooks has been arguably the gold standard in accounting software since it first came out, following Intuit’s successful Quicken.
Intuit has applied several decades of experience to a product that seems to have thought of everything you could want to organize and control your finances.
To get the most out of your QuickBooks software, you need to know all the ins and outs of using the program, from creating invoices to paying your taxes.
How to use QuickBooks
QuickBooks makes it easy to perform a variety of financial management tasks, like creating an invoice, organizing transactions, adding expenses, adding and paying bills, managing employees, creating reports, and managing taxes. Here’s how to do it all.
However, there’s no denying that leaning back with a controller in your hand is much more relaxing than crouching over a mouse and keyboard.
Fortunately, just like you can connect your mouse and keyboard to a PS4, you can likewise connect your PS4 controller to a PC.
Here are three different ways to connect your PS4 controller to a Windows 10 PC.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with USB
If you want to connect the controller with a micro-USB cable (the same cable you use to charge the controller), you have two options.
Connect via Steam
If you’re a PC gamer, chances are that you have a Steam account. Luckily, Steam makes connecting new controllers easy.
1. Open Steam and click the “Big Picture Mode” icon in the top-right – it looks like a square with two arrows pointing out.
2. Once in Big Picture Mode, select the gear icon at the top-right to navigate to Settings.
3. Under the “Controller” tab, click “Controller Settings.”
4. Check the box for “PlayStation Configuration Support.”
5. Plug the PS4 controller into your PC using the micro-USB cable. Make sure the backlight on the controller glows to indicate there’s a connection.
6. Steam should automatically detect and configure your controller. Click it when it appears at the bottom of the page.
Connect via DS4 Windows Utility
If you want to use the wired controller with a non-Steam game, this is another option.
1. In a web browser on your PC, go to DS4Windows.com. Click “Download Now.”
2. You’ll be redirected to Github. Find and click the DS4Windows.zip file, and then download it onto your computer.
3. Find the downloaded .zip file on your computer and open it, and then double-click “DS4Updater” and click “Extract All.”
4. Pick a location for the files to be extracted to – it should be a location that you can find easily.
5. Once extracted, open the location you picked and double-click “DS4Windows.” If you’re asked to confirm that you want to run the program, click “Run.”
6. You’ll be asked where you want to save the program’s files. If you don’t care where they go, pick “Appdata” – if you want to be able to move them around, pick “Program Folder” and select a location.
7. Once you’ve picked a spot to save the files, click “Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver” and let the program install its files. If you’re asked whether you’d like to install the software, click “Install.”
You can now use the PS4 controller on your PC with a micro-USB cable, although you may need to restart your computer first.
How to connect PS4 controllerto PC with Bluetooth
If your PC supports Bluetooth – and if it was made in the last ten years, chances are it does – you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
This method also works for the newer PS5 DualSense controller, although that controller might not be supported by every game.
1. Open your PC’s search menu (you can press the Windows key + Q to open it immediately) and search for “Bluetooth.”
2. When “Bluetooth and other devices settings” appears in the search results, click on it.
3. Make sure your computer has Bluetooth enabled by setting the switch labeled “Bluetooth” to “On.”
4. Hold down the Playstation and Share buttons on your controller until the backlight starts flashing.
5. On your PC, click “Add Bluetooth or other device,” and select “Bluetooth.”
6. You’ll see your PS4 controller listed as “Wireless Controller.” Click it to finalize the connection. If you’re asked for a passcode, enter “0000.”
Dave Johnson contributed to a previous version of this article.
OptiFine is a versatile program that many “Minecraft” players can’t imagine going without, particularly when playing on a less capable computer. It’s a “Minecraft: Java Edition” optimizer, allowing computers with less memory and less powerful graphics cards to run the game more smoothly.
OptiFine also gives you access to tons of new texture packs and HD shaders to make your game look as good as possible, as well a few useful new gameplay mechanics, including the famous “OptiFine Zoom.”
It’s different from mods in how it’s installed and runs, but is similar in that it changes how the game looks and works.
Here are two ways to install and use OptiFine, depending on whether or not you want to use it with other mods.
How to install and run OptiFine in ‘Minecraft’ without mods
1. In a web browser of your choice, navigate to the OptiFine downloads page. If you aren’t running the most current version of “Minecraft,” click “Show all versions” to find and select your version.
2. Click “Download” next to the version of OptiFine that you want. Click “Skip” in the top-right corner after a brief countdown if you’re taken to an ad break page.
3. Click “Download” when you’re redirected to the OptiFine download, and save it anywhere you can find it. You may see a warning about your download from your browser and/or computer, which you can safely disregard.
4. Navigate to the downloaded OptiFine file, which will be an executable .jar file. Double-click the file to open the installer and click “Install.” You should then see a message saying OptiFine has been successfully installed.
5. Open your Minecraft Launcher, and in the drop-down menu to the left of the “Play” button, make sure that “OptiFine” is selected. Once it is, click “Play.”
6. When “Minecraft” loads, select “Options…” from the main menu, then “Video Settings.” You’ll know that the OptiFine download was successful if you see added options like “Shaders,” “Details,” and “Animations.”
How to install and run OptiFine to work with ‘Minecraft’ mods
1. Follow the first three steps to download OptiFine as shown above. If you haven’t already, download Minecraft Forge as well. You can follow our guide here.
2. Open the Minecraft Launcher app.
3. In the drop-down menu near the green play button, select “forge” then click “Play” to launch.
4. You’ll see the “Mods” option in the Minecraft main menu. Click it, then select “Open mods folder.” Java will automatically open the mods folder created by Forge.
5. Drag and drop the .jar OptiFine file that you downloaded into this mods folder.
6. Close “Minecraft” and relaunch it, again running the Forge installation version. This time on the load screen, you should see the message “Found 2 modfiles to load” pass by, indicating that OptiFine has been incorporated into Forge.
7. You can check that it’s been installed correctly the same way as before: By going into the main menu and selecting “Options…” then “Video Settings.” If there are additional options like “Shaders,” “Details,” and “Animations,” then OptiFine is installed.
How to get started using OptiFine
OptiFine adds a lot of new options and settings to your game, so it can be a bit confusing to jump right in. Here’s some of the basic features, explained.
If you find you are no longer using Spotify, you can delete your account. However, you can only delete your Spotify account on the Spotify website through an internet browser – not on the mobile app.
Before closing your account, make sure you’re aware of the repercussions. You can also cancel your subscription without deleting your account altogether, and only use the free version of Spotify.
If you do close your account, you won’t be able to use your current username with Spotify again; you can, however, create a new account with the same email address. Additionally, you won’t have access to your playlists and followers anymore and you’ll lose all the music you’ve saved to your library.
Here’s how to close your Spotify account and erase your saved music.