Peloton is recalling all its treadmills after reports of injuries and one death

A Peloton Tread+.
A Peloton Tread+.

  • Peloton is recalling all its treadmills after a child died in an accident and users reported injuries.
  • Shares of the company fell sharply in trading Wednesday after the announcement.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Peloton is recalling all its treadmills after one child died in an accident with one and users reported injuries, the company said in a joint statement with the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday.

Federal regulators pressured the company last month to recall its $4,295 Tread+ treadmill after the product fatally injured a child in March.

Some customers reported injuries and malfunctions with the treadmill as early as 2019, Insider previously reported.

Read more: Some Peloton customers reported treadmill malfunctions, injuries, and safety concerns as early as 2019 – and said Peloton’s response was sluggish

“I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s request that we recall the Tread+,” CEO John Foley said in the release. “We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize.”

Shares of the fitness company, known for its bike, treadmill, and standalone subscription models, fell as much as 7% in trading following the announcement.

Peloton instructed customers to immediately stop using the treadmill and contact the company for a full refund or “other qualified remedy,” the statement said. Peloton has also stopped the sale and distribution of the Tread+.

“The agreement between CPSC and Peloton is the result of weeks of intense negotiation and effort, culminating in a cooperative agreement that I believe serves the best interests of Peloton and of consumers,” Robert S. Adler, acting chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. “Today we have taken steps to prevent further harm from these two products.”

Read the original article on Business Insider

Bentley recalls one (1) brand-new, $259,000 Flying Spur for potentially defective fuel tank

Bentley Flying Spur W12
Pictured: a Bentley Flying Spur W12.

Sometimes, recalls can affect thousands to millions of cars. Other times, they can affect just one car. This is one of those times.

Bentley is recalling one (1) 2020 Flying Spur W12 over a potentially faulty fuel tank, according to a recall document filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The filing said the long-term durability of the tank “cannot be guaranteed.”

“During the production process at the fuel tank supplier, a welding process of the fuel tank may not have been performed according to specifications,” the document read. “If the plastic weld of the fuel tank fails, this may be perceived initially by an odor of fuel. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, can lead to a vehicle fire.”

Thankfully, nothing of the sort happened before Bentley identified the problem and sought to remedy it. The automaker will replace the fuel tank for free.

“The isolated incident and car in question has not shown any signs of fuel leak,” a Bentley spokesperson told Bloomberg in a statement. “The customer has been contacted as per NHTSA regulations.” 

It’s not clear where this particular Flying Spur W12 is located.

The Bentley Flying Spur W12 is a 12-cylinder sedan that produces a claimed 626 horsepower. Bloomberg prices the car at $259,000.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Nestle recalls more than 760,000 pounds of Hot Pockets because they might contain bits of plastic and glass

Nestle
Nestlé recalled over 760,000 pounds of its hot pocket products on Friday.

  • Nestlé Prepared Foods recalled over 760,000 Hot Pocket that might contain bits of glass and plastic.
  • Four people complained to Nestlé of “extraneous material” in their Hot Pockets. One person suffered minor mouth injuries. 
  • The recall is for not-ready-to-eat pepperoni Hot Pockets that were made between November 13, 2020 and November 16, 2020.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Nestlé Prepared Foods is recalling about 762,615 pepperoni Hot Pocket products because they may contain “pieces of glass and hard plastic,” the USDA said. 

The problem was discovered when Nestle received four consumer complaints of “extraneous material in the pepperoni hot pocket product,” the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said. One person suffered a minor mouth injury from eating the contaminated Hot Pocket, the agency said. 

The agency has deemed the recall a “Class I”, the highest level among the three kinds of recalls, because of the high health risk associated with the consumption of glass or plastic. 

“This is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death,” the agency said.

The recall is specifically for not-ready-to-eat pepperoni Hot Pockets that were made between November 1 3, 2020 and November 16, 2020.

Nestlé USA said that this recall is not for all of its Hot Pocket products. The specific ones recalled and not included can be found on the company’s website in a recent press release.

Read more: Grubhub’s new head of corporate affairs lays out how she plans to set the delivery app apart from rivals Uber and DoorDash

“The quality, safety and integrity of Nestlé USA and Hot Pockets products remain our number one priority. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this action represents to both our consumers and retail customers,” Nestlé USA wrote in a press release on Friday

People concerned about whether they previously bought this product can look at a PDF file from the news release that shares images of what this item looks like. This item has “‘EST. 7721A’ inside the USDA mark of inspection” and a best before date of February 2022, per the news release. Photos are also in the Nestlé USA press release.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Tesla asked to recall 158,000 Model S and Model X vehicles over a safety defect involving failing touchscreens

Tesla Model S
  • Tesla was asked by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall around 158,000 vehicles over faulty touchscreens, the agency said in a letter to the company Wednesday.
  • The NHTSA said the media control units on certain Tesla vehicles failed after their memory ran out, causing issues with the backup camera, defogging and defrosting settings, Autopilot system, and turn signals.
  • The issue impacted certain 2012-2018 Model S vehicles and 2016-2018 Model X vehicles, which used the NVIDIA flash memory devices that failed — after just five to six years on average.
  • Vice News first reported on the issue in October 2019, prompting the NHTSA to open an investigation in June 2020.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration sent a letter to Tesla on Wednesday asking the company to recall around 158,000 vehicles over faulty touchscreen hardware.

The agency said it was “investigating a potential safety-related defect concerning incidents of media control unit (“MCU”) failures” that had resulted in problems with the backup camera, defogging and defrosting settings, Autopilot, and turn signals.

The issue, which stemmed from the MCUs failing after exceeding their storage capacity, impacted certain 2012-2018 Model S and 2016-2018 Tesla Model X vehicles.

The touchscreens on those models are powered by an NVIDIA processor which stores data in an attached “flash memory device.” But those devices have a finite amount of storage capacity, and according to the NHTSA’s investigation, once they filled up – which happened after just 5 to 6 years, on average – they shut down, causing the MCUs to fail and creating other safety issues.

The MCU failures resulted in the rearview/backup camera screen going “black,” an inability to control defogging and defrosting settings, and the loss of some Autopilot alerts and turn signal functionality, which the agency said could “increase the risk of crash.”

The NHTSA said its Office of Defects Investigation had “tentatively concluded that the failure of the media control unit (MCU) constitutes a defect related to motor vehicle safety.” While the letter doesn’t formally require Tesla to order a recall, the automaker must submit additional justification if it decides not to, and the NHTSA can still take further action if it isn’t satisfied with Tesla’s response.

Vice News originally reported on the issue in October 2019, citing a Tesla repair expert who said: “When this burns out, you wake up to a black screen [in the car’s center console.] There’s nothing there. No climate control. You can generally drive the car, but it won’t charge.”

The NHTSA said it opened its own investigation on June 22, 2020.

Read more: How Tesla bounced back from worst mistake Elon Musk ever made and became the world’s most valuable car company

Read the original article on Business Insider