The PlayStation 4’s Safe Mode is a great option for troubleshooting problems you might have with your console.
Starting your PS4 in Safe Mode can help you resolve an issue or troubleshoot a bug the device may be having. The Safe Mode menu includes options to change your console’s resolution, rebuild its storage database, and restore the device to factory settings.
How to put PS4 in Safe Mode
1. Turn off your console by holding the power button for 3 seconds. After blinking a few times, your PS4 will power off.
2. Press and hold the power button, releasing your finger only after the second beep sound. This should take about 7 seconds.
3. Your PS4 will start in Safe Mode. Make sure your controller is connected to the console, and press the PS button.
How to get PS4 out of Safe Mode
If your PS4 is stuck on Safe Mode, you may be dealing with a Safe Mode loop that makes it difficult to resume playing.
In these cases, there are a few things you can try to get your PS4 out of Safe Mode. Most of these involve the Safe Mode menu, which appears when you first boot your console into Safe Mode.
Here are four troubleshooting methods you can use.
Method 1: Restart your PS4
First, try restarting your PS4 using option 1 in the Safe Mode menu. Press “X” on your controller to select this option.
Method 2: Make sure there are no power issues
If the first method fails, check to make sure all of the cables, including your USB and HDMI connections, are working properly.
You can also try unplugging your PS4’s power cord and plugging it back in. Also, unplug the HDMI cord and switch which end is plugged into the TV and which end is plugged into the PS4.
If one of the cables or connections is broken or failing, try replacing it.
If the second method fails, the problem might be caused by a corrupted file.
Select option 5 on the Safe Mode menu, “Rebuild Database,” and press “X.” This will build a new database for your PS4 without affecting any save data. It will take a while for your PS4 to rebuild — when it’s done, restart your PS4.
Method 4: Update your PS4’s software
Try updating your PS4’s system software from the Safe Mode menu.
Press “X” to select elect option 3 on the menu, “Update System Software.” Then, press “X” to select “Update Using Internet.” From there, follow the instructions on the screen.
If nothing else works, select option 7, “Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software),” and press “X.” Follow the instructions on the screen.
If your Roku streaming device is experiencing glitches or not performing the way it’s supposed to, you can reset it in a few different ways.
First, you should try restarting your Roku, as this soft reset does not erase any of your settings or log you out of your channels. In many cases, this will fix channels or apps that are repeatedly freezing or crashing.
Then, if the problem persists, you can perform a factory reset, which is a more holistic solution that restores your device to its original settings.
Here’s how to restart your Roku, or perform a factory reset.
How to restart a Roku device
You can restart your Roku from the Settings menu, or do a forced reboot by pressing a series of buttons on your Roku remote or unplugging the Roku power cord.
To restart your Roku from Settings:
1. From the “Home” menu, scroll down to the “Settings” menu.
2. Select the “Settings” menu by pressing “OK” on the remote.
3. Scroll down to select the “System” option. Press “OK” on your remote to open the menu.
4. Scroll down to the “System restart” option and press “OK” on your remote.
5. Select “Restart.” Your device will shut off, then turn on again. You will see the bouncing Roku logo while the device is booting up.
To reboot your Roku if it’s frozen:
If your Roku encounters a more serious glitch, it may freeze and block you from navigating the menus. In that case, you’ll need to press a series of buttons on your remote control to trigger a reboot.
1. Press the “Home” button five times.
2. Press the “Up” arrow once.
3. Press the “Rewind” button twice.
4. Press the “Fast Forward” button two times.
5. After pressing the buttons in this order, your Roku will eventually turn off. After a few seconds, you should see the bouncing Roku logo, and your home screen will return soon after.
If you find you need to restart your device often for it to function properly, you could be experiencing issues with one of your installed channel apps, or the device itself. You can try deleting and re-installing any newly installed channel apps. Contact Roku support if you continually experience issues with your device.
How to factory reset a Roku device
When you factory reset your Roku, it will be set back to its original state. There are two methods to reset your Roku: selecting the reset option in the Settings menu, or pressing the reset button on the back of the device.
To factory reset your Roku from Settings:
1. Use the “Home” button on your Roku remote to jump to the home screen.
2. Navigate to the Settings menu by scrolling up or down until you find it.
3. Press “Ok” on your Roku remote to select “Settings.”
4. Choose “System” from the available menu items.
5. Choose “Advanced system settings.”
6. Select “Factory reset” from the available menu items.
7. When prompted, choose “Factory reset everything” and follow the reset wizard’s on-screen instructions.
To factory reset your Roku with the hardware reset button or pinhole reset:
Every Roku device comes with a hardware reset option. Newer devices will have a hardware reset button, while older devices will have a pinhole for resetting.
1. Locate the reset option on the outside of your Roku device. It will either be a tactile button or a pinhole button.
2. Press and hold the button for 10-20 seconds. If your device has a pinhole reset, you’ll need to use an object like a paperclip or bobby pin to press and hold the button.
3. Most Roku devices have an indicator light that will blink rapidly once the reset is complete.
What happens after you reset a Roku
After your device has been reset, it should boot up to the home screen. If you’re not selling the device or returning it, but instead looking to use the device again, you’ll need to reconnect to your home network.
Once you’re connected, log in to your Roku account on your computer or from your mobile device to relink it to your account. Your Roku channels will begin downloading after the device has been added to your Roku account. You’ll need to log in to all your channel apps again.
If you’ve ever used an SD card before, you may have been prompted to “format” it before using it. But what does that mean?
Put simply, formatting an SD card erases every single file on it, including internal files that are usually hidden. This is the best way to reset or clear an SD card, and should be the first step you take when using a new card.
Here are four ways to format an SD card, depending on what sort of device you have available.
If you use a Windows desktop or laptop computer, you’ll use the File Explorer to format your SD card.
Before you get started, back up all the data you want to keep. And if you’re on a laptop, make sure it’s plugged in or has enough battery to last a little while.
1. Insert your SD card into your computer’s SD card reader or an external USB reader.
2. Once you’ve inserted the SD card, open the File Explorer (in other words, open any folder). In the column on the left-hand side, click on either “This PC” or “My Computer” – these serve the same function, but appear under different names in different versions of Windows.
3. Click on the SD card in the device list. This will open it on your computer.
4. At the top of the File Explorer window, click the tab labeled “Manage,” then click “Format.” A pop-up window will appear.
5. In the pop-up window, click on the drop-down menu underneath “File System.” Here, you’ll see a few options – if you only plan to use this card on Windows computers, pick “NFTS.” If you’re going to use it on multiple kinds of devices, click “FAT32.”
6. If you’re formatting the SD card for the very first time, make sure that the checkbox next to “Quick Format” remains unchecked. If you’ve formatted this particular SD card before, the Quick Format checkbox can remain checked.
7. When you’re ready to start formatting, click “Start.”
8. One or two more pop-up windows will appear. Click “OK” in each of these to proceed.
9. Once the process is done, you can eject the SD card and then remove it from your SD card reader.
How to format an SD card on a Mac
On a Mac, you’ll use the Finder to format your SD card. Make sure you’ve backed up and saved any data you want to keep from the card, and if you’re using a laptop, plugged it in.
1. If you haven’t already done so, insert the SD card into your Mac’s SD card slot or USB card reader and boot up the computer.
2. Open “Finder,” then click on the “Go” tab. In its sub-menu, click “Utilities.”
3. In the window that appears, double-click on “Disk Utility.” A new window will open.
4. In the left-side column, click on the SD card. It should appear underneath the “External” header.
5. In the upper portion of the window, click the button labeled “Erase.”
6. Click “Format” to open a drop-down menu. If your SD card is 64 GB or larger, pick “ExFAT.” If it’s 32 GB or smaller, pick “MS-DOS (FAT).”
7. Click “Erase” to format the SD card.
How to format an SD card on an Android device
It might come as a surprise, but many Android phones and tablets can format SD cards too. In fact, a lot of Androids come with a microSD card included.
Once you’ve backed up the data you want to save and charged your Android, here’s how to format a card.
1. With the SD card inserted into your Android device, open “Settings.”
2. Tap on “Device care.”
3. Tap on “Storage,” then tap on “Advanced.”
4. Look for your SD card underneath the “Portable storage” header. Once you locate the SD card, tap on it.
5. Tap on “Format.” In the pop-up that appears, tap on “Format SD card.”
How to format an SD card using a DSLR camera
If you have a DSLR camera, there’s a good chance that you can format the SD card directly on the camera itself. Keep in mind that the specific steps will vary depending on the type of camera you have, but this guide covers the general process.
Again, make sure the camera is charged, and that you’ve backed up any files you want to save.
1. With the camera turned off, insert the SD card into its designated slot. Once the SD card is secure, turn the camera on.
2. Using either a button or an option on your camera’s screen, open the menu.
3. From the menu, access “Setup.” Look for an option that includes the word “format.” Once you’ve located it, select this option.
4. Select “OK” to begin the formatting process. Wait patiently while it does so, because it can take a few minutes.
5. Once the SD card finishes formatting, turn the camera off to complete the process.
What to do if your SD card won’t format
When you place your SD card into the reader, there’s a chance that the device won’t read it. If this happens, there’s a good chance that the write-protect switch is flipped on.
This switch makes it so nothing on the SD card can be changed. It’s good for protecting your data, but bad if you want to format.
To turn it off, simply take the SD card out of the reader and push the switch up towards the end that’s inserted into the computer or card reader.
If you need to monitor the room temperature of your home or office – for specialty plants or exotic pets, for example – there’s a way to do so with your iPhone, but it’s not free.
To accurately check room temperature with your iPhone, you’ll need to purchase an external thermometer, which you can use with an associated iOS app to monitor current temperature, historic temperature, humidity, and more.
The Govee Temperature Monitor does more than just monitor the temperature of a room, it can also measure humidity, track temperature over time, and connect to your phone via Bluetooth.
With the Govee Home app on your iPhone, you can register up to 10 Govee Monitor devices to measure the temperature and humidity of different rooms at once. According to Amazon, the monitor is accurate to within .54 degrees, and has four stars.
The SensorPush Thermometer has all of the same capabilities as the previous thermometers — it takes temperature, reads humidity, stores history, and connects via Bluetooth — but the main difference lies in its size.
Whereas the other devices listed are around three to six inches, this thermometer is tiny and discreet, measuring about an inch and a half long on all sides and less than an inch wide. Thus, it can be placed anywhere discreetly.
SensorPush lets you set up alerts for when your temperature reaches a certain threshold, but unfortunately, because it’s connected to your iPhone app through Bluetooth rather than Wi-Fi, you need to be within the device’s range.
SensorPush is a bit more expensive than some of the other options, but it has 4.4 stars on Amazon, with many perfect five-star reviews.
One of the more expensive options, the Temp Stick does a bit more than just check temperature, track history, and monitor humidity.
With the Temp Stick app for your iPhone, you can also create custom alerts to notify up to 10 contacts when the temperature reaches a certain threshold. Instead of using Bluetooth, the Temp Stick uses Wi-Fi, which loads your data onto the app in real-time so you can monitor it even when you’re not at home. The Temp Stick app also offers unlimited data storage, unlike the SensorPush app, for example.
The Ambient Weather WS-8482-X3 device is wireless, Wi-Fi-enabled, and comes with three indoor/outdoor temperature and humidity sensors as well as a remote monitoring weather station.
The base station lets you monitor your current and historic data from each sensor without having to log into an app, though you can also check your data on AmbientWeather.net. Like the Temp Stick, because the Ambient Weather device is connected through Wi-Fi, you can monitor your data remotely in real-time from the Ambient Weather website.
The Ambient Weather device can support up to seven separate sensors, which can include thermo-hygrometers, soil moisture sensors, and water temperature sensors.
Temperature Monitor (small)Wireless Thermometer (small)Wi-Fi Temperature and Humidity Sensor (small)WS-8482-X3 (small)
One of the iPhone’s greatest assets is its connectivity. Built into Apple products are several ways to share what you’re viewing or working on from your iPhone to a Mac.
This can be useful if you want to display a photo album or app on your computer, or play video content directly from iPhone apps like Hulu.
The drawback to mirroring your iPhone to your Mac, however, is that you have to either use the QuickTime app on your Mac, which requires a wired connection, or download a third-party app, like Reflector, which uses AirPlay. Here’s how to do both.
How to mirror your iPhone to a Mac with QuickTime
1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac using your Lightning to USB cable.
2. Open QuickTime on your Mac.
3. Click on “File” in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
4. Click “New Movie Recording.”
5. Next to the red record button (bottom middle), click on the down arrow. Select your iPhone from the list of available devices. If it’s not there, try disconnecting and reconnecting your iPhone.
6. Your phone should now be fully mirrored on your computer, in the exact shape of your iPhone screen.
How to mirror your iPhone to a Mac with AirPlay
AirPlay is an Apple feature that lets you wirelessly stream content from one device to another. It’s designed for streaming from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to an Apple TV or AirPlay-compatible smart TV.
There’s no direct way to AirPlay, or screen mirror, from an iPhone to a Mac, but you can work around that by downloading a third-party app like Reflector, and connecting both devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
To mirror your iPhone to Mac, first download Reflector on Mac. Then open the Control Center on your iPhone, click AirPlay, and select the Mac you want to mirror to.
Here’s a full step-by-step guide.
1. Download the Reflector app on your Mac, and open it.
2. You can either AirPlay content directly from an app that allows for AirPlay like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or the NFL app, in this example. Or, you can AirPlay your entire iPhone screen by opening the Control Center.
3. If you’re AirPlaying from within an app, start playing content, like a show or movie, and hit the AirPlay symbol (it’s a rectangle with a solid triangle at the bottom) in the upper-right corner of the video.
If you’re AirPlaying from the Control Center, select the “Screen Mirroring” tile.
4. Once you’ve selected either the AirPlay symbol from within an app or “Screen Mirroring” from the Control Center, a pop-up will ask you to select a device – tap the name of your Mac.
5. Your iPhone will ask for an AirPlay Code, which will be displayed on your Mac. Type the code into the text box on your iPhone. Your iPhone content will now show up on the Reflector program on your Mac.
It’s a bummer if your Beats headphones break. However, depending on the issue you’re having and your coverage by warranties or AppleCare Plus, you can get your headphones repaired or replaced in just a week or two.
How to get a Beats headphones repair
Here’s what you can send in for a repair with Apple, how to make a service request, and how much it will cost.
What you can send in for repair
Apple will service a variety of issues and parts related to Beats headphones. This includes accidental damage, lost or missing items (like a Powerbeats Pro earbud or charging case), and battery failures (due to defects or wear through regular use).
To find out if your particular Beats issue qualifies for repair, you can follow the steps and prompts below to make an appointment or service request through Apple support.
Costs and time needed for Beats repair
If you send in your Beats to Apple, the company estimates that service will take 3 to 10 business days from the day you ship your product. For service through a local Apple Authorized Service Provider, you’ll need to ask for an approximate timeline.
If you have AppleCare Plus, you can request Express Replacement Service to have a replacement pair of Beats shipped to you while you return your Beats to Apple.
For out-of-warranty repairs, Apple has a support page that outlines its fees, which range from $49 to $199 depending on your device. It notes that Apple reserves the right to determine if your product is eligible for out-of-warranty repairs or replacements. Beats headphones that have broken into several pieces, for example, are not eligible for any out-of-warranty services.
If it came with your Galaxy device, you won’t need to connect it, but there are still a few steps needed to use it. And the newer your device, the more features you’ll have access to with the S Pen.
How to use S Pen on Samsung Galaxy
You can start using the S Pen by pressing on the end of it to release it from your Galaxy device. Your Galaxy will vibrate to let you know that it recognizes you’ve released it.
Your S Pen should start working immediately. If it doesn’t, hover the S Pen over the screen and quickly double-press the button in the middle of the stylus.
Ways to use the S Pen
You can use the S Pen to do anything that you could normally do with your finger. And depending on the Galaxy Note or Tab model you have, you may be able to use some or all of the following useful features. Test them all out and see which ones you like.
Take notes on the lock screen. Simply take out your S Pen and write on the locked screen.
Customize the pen button. Press and hold the pen button. Go into your settings’ advanced features section for the S Pen and select “S Pen remote” or “Air actions.” Then tap “Hold down Pen button to” and select the desired option.
Annotate a PDF. Open the desired PDF file in the Samsung Notes app and write your notes on it with the S Pen as you read.
Automatically change your handwriting to text. Turn on your S Pen and open the Samsung Notes app. Create your handwritten note and hit save, then tap the handwriting-to-text icon in the lower toolbar.
Turn your stylus into a remote. Go into your settings, then select “Advanced Features,” and then “S Pen,” followed by “Air Actions.” Then tap the toggle to turn on the “S Pen remote” option.
Remotely take photos and videos. Follow the steps above to use the stylus as a remote. Then, when you have the camera open and ready, simply tap the end of the stylus once to take a photo or begin a video. Tapping twice will switch between the front and rear cameras. This works when the stylus is less than 10 meters away from the device.
Control your music and other media with the S Pen. Once you’ve set up your S Pen as a remote, you’ll also have the ability to start and stop your media by tapping the end of the stylus while watching a video or listening to music.
Customize air actions. Swipe down on your device, and on the notification panel, select “S Pen air actions.” Under “App actions,” select the app you want to customize. Tap the item you want to customize and select either “Pen button” or “Gestures.”
Use direct pen input. This is turned on by default and allows you to write in text boxes, like in the Messages, Internet, or Phone app, and also converts your handwriting to text.
Advance through a slide deck. Open a presentation on your phone, then pull down your notification menu and choose to use your phone as a touchpad. Go into presentation mode and click your pen once to go to the next slide, or twice to go back a slide.
There are many reasons why your PS4controller may not be charging. And those reasons can range from the minor, like cable issues or dust, to more major problems, which might mean you need to buy a brand new controller.
Before you go out and replace a finicky PS4 controller, it’s always a good idea to first do some troubleshooting to see if you can get your device to charge again – which could be easier than you think.
Here are five troubleshooting tips to get you back to gaming sooner.
Plug your PS4 into your laptop or another device to charge it
Sometimes controllers have difficulty charging directly from the PS4, but testing out the controller by plugging it into another device — like your Mac, PC, or Android — can help you narrow down the reasons why it’s not charging.
If it’s not charging from another source, then you know that it’s not the PS4 itself that’s causing the problem.
Swap out the charging cable
The issue may not be with the controller itself but with the charging cable. Try a different cable or try using that cable to charge another controller.
You can also check the cable for physical signs of damage such as fraying on the cord or built-up grime in the plug.
Check out the charging port
Built-up dust or grit may be interrupting the power flow and keeping your controller from charging. A quick pass with a wooden toothpick or compressed air may help.
Reset and re-pair your controller
Go to the Settings menu on your PS4 and under “Devices,” remove all devices from the list. Then, on your controller, press something into the small hole on the underside of the controller and hold it for five seconds. A toothpick or bobby pin, for example, may do the trick.
Turn off your PS4 console and controller, and unplug the PS4’s power cord from the outlet. Wait 5 to 10 minutes, and with the PS4 still unplugged, hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain all its leftover energy. Then, plug the PS4 back in, turn it on, and see if the issue has been fixed.
If your controller still isn’t charging after troubleshooting, check if it’s still under warranty with Sony or the retailer you purchased it from.
If so, you may be able to get a replacement, or swap out some of the hardware, without having to shell out money for a brand new controller.
One of the advantages of having a large computer monitor is being able to see two or more windows side by side on the same screen.
In Windows 10, splitting your screen makes it easier to copy and paste between windows, see information from multiple sources at once, or just generally multitask. You can divide your screen with two, three, or four windows. Here’s how to do it.
How to split screen on Windows 10
To split screen in Windows 10, simply drag a window all the way to one side of the screen until it snaps into place. Then select another window to fill the other half of your screen.
Here’s a full step-by-step guide with keyboard shortcuts.
Split screen between two windows
1. Drag one of the windows by its title bar to the left or right side of the screen. You’ll see an outline of the window appear – release your mouse and the window will snap into that outlined position.
2. You should now see all your other open programs appear in thumbnails on the opposite side of the screen.
3. Click one of the other program windows. It will snap to the other side of the screen, so you’ll have two windows side by side.
Split screen between four windows
If you have a larger display, you can snap up to four windows to the screen – one in each corner. The process is similar to snapping a window to either side of the screen:
1. Drag one of the windows by its title bar to a corner of the screen. As the cursor reaches the corner, the screen will flash and you’ll see an outline of where the window will appear. Let go of the mouse button to snap the window into place.
2. Drag the next window to another corner in the same way. Again, let go of the mouse to snap it into place.
3. In the empty space of your screen, you should see thumbnails of your remaining open windows. Click the program you want and, if you want it to take up a third of the screen, snap it to the entire remaining side of the screen. If you want to pin four windows, drag it by the title bar to snap it into one of the remaining corners, and then select another window to pin to the final corner.
At any time, you can “unsnap” a window by dragging it by the title bar away from the edge or corner.
If you want to print on your iPhone or iPad, it can be easier than you might think. The simplest way to print from an iPhone is by adding a printer with AirPrint, so you can print directly with a wireless connection.
You can also print wirelessly without AirPrint by downloading your printer’s app on an iPhone or iPad, or by connecting your devices with a USB cable and adapter. Here’s how to do it all.
Most current printers with wireless capabilities have the AirPrint feature, which allows the printer to easily sync up with an iPhone or iPad and print directly.
To add a printer to your iPhone or iPad with AirPrint and use it to print:
1. Open the document, image, or webpage you wish to print. This can be located in your email, web browser, Photos app, Files app, or elsewhere.
2. Locate and hit the “Share” button, which is the square with an arrow aiming upward out of its center. If you don’t see this button, depending on the app you’re using, you may need to select the icon of three horizontal dots or the icon of an arrow pointing to the left.
3. In the pop-up, scroll down until you see an icon of a printer next to the word “Print.”
4. Tap “Print,” and on the next screen, tap “Select Printer” at the top. Find and select the name of the nearby printer you wish to use.
5. Hit the word “Print” written in blue in the top-right corner of the screen.
The AirPrint enabled printer will now be added to your list of preferred devices and will come up as an option for printing whenever in range. You can add another printer to your iPhone at any time by following the same steps with a new printer.
How to print from an iPhone or iPad without AirPrint
Not all printers have the AirPrint feature, especially if they are a bit older. But if they have a wireless capability, you should still be able to print from it wirelessly – you’ll just have to download your printer’s app on the App Store.
To set up a printer on your iPhone or iPad without AirPrint and use it to print:
1. Open your printer’s app on your device.
2. Turn on your printer’s Wi-Fi.
3. Go into your phone or tablet’s “Settings” and hit the Wi-Fi tab.
4. Locate your printer under “OTHER NETWORKS” and tap on it.
5. Pull up the document, image, or webpage you want to print, then hit the “Share” icon.
6. You should now be able to connect the printer through the app and print.
How to print from an iPhone or iPad with a USB cable
To print from an iPhone or iPad with a printer that can’t connect wirelessly, you’ll have to use a piece of hardware as the go-between. You’ll need a USB cable and a USB OTG (on-the-go) adapter that connects your iPhone to the USB cable.
To print from an iPhone or iPad with a USB cable:
1. Turn on your printer and connect one end of the USB cord to your printer and the other end to the USB OTG cord. Plug the other end of the USB OTG cord into your iPhone or iPad.
2. A pop-up should appear on your iPhone or iPad – tap “OK.”
3. Then, on your iPhone or iPad, go to the document you wish to print and tap the Share button.
4. In the Share menu, select the “Print” option.
5. The connected printer should appear next to “Printer” on the Printer Options page.