If you’ve spent a lot of time in “Minecraft” visiting and trading with a single village, you might grow attached to the NPCs in the town. Luckily, there’s a great way to both make your NPCs feel special, and help them stand out from other similar characters.
Here’s everything to know about Name Tags, rare “Minecraft” items that can help personalize your game – including where to find them and how to use them.
How Name Tags work in ‘Minecraft’
Name Tags are items that, when placed on an NPC, give them a unique name. The name you give will be displayed above their head whenever you get close and look at them.
Naming an NPC also makes it so they’ll never despawn. This means that if you rename a random zombie in a cave, for instance, that zombie will remain there forever, even if you leave and never come back. However, renamed NPCs can still die, at which point you’ll lose the Name Tag.
Every NPC can be renamed except for the Ender Dragon. You can’t rename other players.
Unlike most things in “Minecraft,” you can’t actually craft a Name Tag. You’ll have to find or trade for this one. This can take awhile if you don’t know where to look.
Fortunately, there’s a few reliable locations to loot a Tag, one surefire way to trade for them, and even a method involving fishing – although you’ll need to be lucky.
How to find a Name Tag in ‘Minecraft’
Here’s three different ways you get a Name Tag.
How to use your Name Tag in ‘Minecraft’
Giving the Name Tag a name
Before you can assign a name to a mob creature, you need to write the name you want onto the Name Tag. Luckily, you can do this with a simple anvil.
1. Place your anvil and use it, which will open a menu.
2. Drag your Name Tag into one of the left two slots near the top, and type in its new name in the text box at the top.
3. When you’re ready, drag the completed Name Tag on the right back into your inventory.
Naming a Name Tag will cost one experience level. If you don’t have enough experience, go out and kill mobs until you level up.
Use the Name Tag on an NPC
You’re now ready to use the Name Tag to rename an NPC.
1. Find the NPC you want to rename. Again, this can be any NPC except for the Ender Dragon.
2. Put the Name Tag into one of your inventory’s nine hotbar slots and hold it.
3. Use the Name Tag on the NPC. This will default to double-clicking on a mouse, or the left trigger on a controller.
Your Name Tag will disappear, and a name will appear above the NPC’s head.
Although a creature won’t despawn anymore once given a Name Tag, they can still be killed. Once a renamed NPC dies, their name will disappear.
If you’re not sure what you want to name an NPC, check out some of the easter eggs below.