Solving a murder mystery is a lot harder when you can’t talk to anyone else. But if you can hear your partners – only for their voices to be taken away right when you need them most – you’ve got the makings of a high-stakes drama.
That’s where CrewLink, the proximity chat mod for “Among Us,” comes in. Here’s what you need to know about the mod, including how to install and use it.
‘Among Us’ proximity chat, explained
The CrewLink mod in “Among Us” allows you to verbally communicate with players who are close to you in-game. So you’ll be able to hear everyone in the waiting lobby, but everyone’s sound level will change as the game begins – the closer another player is to you, the louder they’ll be, even through walls. If they’re further away, their voice will be quieter, if audible at all.
This adds a definite sense of suspense and drama to the game as your friends’ voices suddenly go silent when they’re killed, or as you yell for help while being chased. It also makes emergency meetings incredibly chaotic, as players rush to be heard.
How to install the proximity chat mod in ‘Among Us’
You’ll need to download the latest version of CrewLink from GitHub. To do that, go to the “Installation Instructions” section of the mod page and click “releases.” The latest version will appear at the top of the page. Then, under “Assets,” click the first link (it should be a .exe file) and the download will begin.
Save the .exe file somewhere you can find it. Once it’s saved, double-click to open it – you may see antivirus warnings, in which case select the option that allows it to continue. After it’s finished installing, which should only take a few seconds, it should automatically open. You should then be able to use the mod in a game.
Once installed, you can turn on the mod by launching the game and joining a lobby. From the menu, go into the game settings and check the box next to “Voice Activity.”
When you go back into the main menu page, you should see a green ring around your character while you’re talking. Other players in your lobby will appear below yours. If they also have the mod and are talking, you should also see the green ring around their avatars. Otherwise, they’ll show up with a red ring.
Once you’ve enabled the mod, you can switch over to push-to-talk mode in the settings, if you prefer.
OptiFine is a versatile program that many “Minecraft” players can’t imagine going without, particularly when playing on a less capable computer. It’s a “Minecraft: Java Edition” optimizer, allowing computers with less memory and less powerful graphics cards to run the game more smoothly.
OptiFine also gives you access to tons of new texture packs and HD shaders to make your game look as good as possible, as well a few useful new gameplay mechanics, including the famous “OptiFine Zoom.”
It’s different from mods in how it’s installed and runs, but is similar in that it changes how the game looks and works.
Here are two ways to install and use OptiFine, depending on whether or not you want to use it with other mods.
How to install and run OptiFine in ‘Minecraft’ without mods
1. In a web browser of your choice, navigate to the OptiFine downloads page. If you aren’t running the most current version of “Minecraft,” click “Show all versions” to find and select your version.
2. Click “Download” next to the version of OptiFine that you want. Click “Skip” in the top-right corner after a brief countdown if you’re taken to an ad break page.
3. Click “Download” when you’re redirected to the OptiFine download, and save it anywhere you can find it. You may see a warning about your download from your browser and/or computer, which you can safely disregard.
4. Navigate to the downloaded OptiFine file, which will be an executable .jar file. Double-click the file to open the installer and click “Install.” You should then see a message saying OptiFine has been successfully installed.
5. Open your Minecraft Launcher, and in the drop-down menu to the left of the “Play” button, make sure that “OptiFine” is selected. Once it is, click “Play.”
6. When “Minecraft” loads, select “Options…” from the main menu, then “Video Settings.” You’ll know that the OptiFine download was successful if you see added options like “Shaders,” “Details,” and “Animations.”
How to install and run OptiFine to work with ‘Minecraft’ mods
1. Follow the first three steps to download OptiFine as shown above. If you haven’t already, download Minecraft Forge as well. You can follow our guide here.
2. Open the Minecraft Launcher app.
3. In the drop-down menu near the green play button, select “forge” then click “Play” to launch.
4. You’ll see the “Mods” option in the Minecraft main menu. Click it, then select “Open mods folder.” Java will automatically open the mods folder created by Forge.
5. Drag and drop the .jar OptiFine file that you downloaded into this mods folder.
6. Close “Minecraft” and relaunch it, again running the Forge installation version. This time on the load screen, you should see the message “Found 2 modfiles to load” pass by, indicating that OptiFine has been incorporated into Forge.
7. You can check that it’s been installed correctly the same way as before: By going into the main menu and selecting “Options…” then “Video Settings.” If there are additional options like “Shaders,” “Details,” and “Animations,” then OptiFine is installed.
How to get started using OptiFine
OptiFine adds a lot of new options and settings to your game, so it can be a bit confusing to jump right in. Here’s some of the basic features, explained.
“Minecraft” is famous for how many mods it has, and how easy they are to install. These mods can be practical – like creating a new item – or they can add fun thematic elements to your game, such as new game modes.
To install these mods, you’ll need to use a free add-on called Minecraft Forge. This will let you customize “Minecraft: Java Edition” with mods.
Here’s how to install Minecraft Forge, and use it to install mods.
How to add a mod to Minecraft
Forge won’t come with mods built into it, so you’ll need to find them yourself. You can find all sorts of “Minecraft” mods through Google, and websites like minecraftmods.com.
Once you’ve found one that’s appealing, save the file to your newly-created Forge mods folder. The address on your PC will be: C:Users[your username]AppDataRoaming.minecraftmods
On a Mac, it’ll be: [your computer’s name] > Macintosh HD > Users > [your username] > Library > Application Support > minecraft > mods
In place of [your username], insert the name of the account you’re using on your computer.
Once you’ve done that, you can check that the mod is enabled by clicking the “Mods” tab on the “Minecraft” main menu (see above), then confirming that the mod is listed in the left column beneath the “Minecraft” version you’re running.