Like most web browsers, Google Chrome lets you “bookmark” pages so you can easily find them again later. And if you have Chrome linked to your Google account, you can access those bookmarks on any device also running Chrome.
But if you need to move your bookmarks to another browser – or onto a device where you can’t log into your Google account – Chrome offers an easy way to save, export, and import your bookmarks.
How to export your Chrome bookmarks
If you want to save your bookmarks to make them transferable and accessible later, Google Chrome lets you put them into an HTML document.
1. Open Chrome. In the top-right corner next to the address bar, click the three vertical dots (…).
2. Hover your mouse over Bookmarks, revealing another drop-down list. Click Bookmark Manager, which will open another browser tab with your bookmark list.
3. Click the vertical three dots (…) in the top-right corner.
4. Click Export bookmarks.
5. A floating window will appear, asking where you want to save the HTML file. Edit the file’s name and save it somewhere you can find it.
How to import your Chrome bookmarks
Importing bookmarks into Chrome or another browser is easy too.
Importing bookmarks into Chrome
1. Open Chrome. In the top-right corner, click the three vertical dots (…).
2. Hover your mouse over Bookmarks, revealing another drop-down list. Click Import Bookmarks and Settings.
4. Another browser tab with your bookmark list will open. Choose Bookmarks HTML File from the drop-down list.
5. Click Choose File to find and select a file saved on your computer.
6. Click Open and all your bookmarks will be imported.
Importing bookmarks into Microsoft Edge
In Microsoft Edge, bookmarks are called Favorites. But they work the same way.
1. Open Edge and click the three dots in the top-right corner, and then Favorites.
2. In the pop-up that opens, click the three dots at the top and then Import Favorites.
3. A menu will appear asking where you want to import the favorites from. Select Favorites or Bookmarks HTML File from the drop-down menu, then Choose File to pick the HTML file from your computer.
Even though Google is the most popular search engine, some web browsers still don’t automatically set it as the default. If you want to make sure all your web searches are done through Google, you can adjust your search settings no matter what browser you use.
2. On an iPhone or iPad, tap the icon of three horizontal dots at the bottom-right of the screen. On an Android, tap the icon of three vertical dots in the upper-right corner. Choose Settings in the pop-up.
3. Tap Search engine and select Google on the next screen. Your default search engine should now be changed.
How to make Google the default search engine in Firefox
On a computer:
1. Open your Firefox browser.
2. Click the icon of three horizontal lines at the top-right of the screen and then click Settings in the drop-down.
3. In the sidebar menu on the left, click the Search tab.
4. In the Default Search Engine section, click the drop-down and choose Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
2. On an iPhone or iPad, tap the icon of three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner. On an Android, tap the icon of three vertical dots in the bottom-right corner. Select Settings in the pop-up.
3. In the General section, tap Search.
4. Under Default Search Engine, select Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
How to make Google the default search engine in Safari
On a Mac:
1. Open the Safari browser.
2. Click in the search bar and then, in the left corner, click the magnifying glass.
3. In the drop-down, choose Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
On an iPhone or iPad:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Scroll down to Safari and tap it.
3. Tap Search Engine and select Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
How to make Google the default search engine in Microsoft Edge
On a computer:
1. Open the Microsoft Edge web browser.
2. Click the icon of three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the window and then choose Settings at the bottom of the pop-up.
3. In the sidebar menu on the left, click the Privacy, search, and services tab.
4. Scroll down and click Address bar and search at the bottom of the page.
5. Click the drop-down next to Search engine used in the address bar, and select Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
If you’re like most people, you probably find yourself Googling every question that comes to your mind: What’s the best recipe for lasagna? What does it mean if I wake up with a headache? Why does my dog keep staring into space and barking?
Google provides immediate answers to your weirdest queries, so it’s handy to have the search engine set as your homepage. Regardless of the web browser you’re using, making Google your homepage is a quick and simple process that will mean every time you launch your browser, you’ll immediately open Google.com.
Here’s how to do it in Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox.
How to make Google your homepage in Google Chrome
A version of Google Chrome will be set as your homepage by default when you install Google Chrome, but you’ll still need to take a few steps to get the full website.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. In the drop-down menu, click “Settings.”
3. On the Settings page, scroll down to the “Appearance” section and look for the “Show home button” section. Ensure that this option is turned on.
4. Once the “Show home button” option is enabled, you’ll see a blank box below which says “Enter custom web address.” In the box, enter the Google homepage URL, “https://www.google.com.”
Close the Settings tab and voila! Google is now your homepage. Just click the home button in the top-left (it looks like a house) to get there.
How to make Google your homepage in Safari
1. In Safari, open the Preferences menu. If you’re on a PC, you’ll have to click the gear icon in the top-right corner of your browser, then click “Preferences;” on a Mac, click “Safari” in the menu bar in the top-left, then click “Preferences.”
2. Under the “General” tab, look for the section marked “Homepage” with a URL listed next to it.
3. Remove the URL currently in the Homepage bar and replace it with “https://www.google.com.” Additionally, you can use the drop-down menus above this to change which page loads when you open a new tab or window.
4. Close the Preferences menu, which will launch an additional message asking you to confirm that you want to change your homepage. Click “Change homepage” to confirm, and you’re all set.
How to make Google your homepage in Microsoft Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge and click the three horizontal dots icon in the top-right corner of the Edge screen.
2. Click the “Settings” option at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
3. After opening the Settings menu, click “Appearance” in the left sidebar.
4. Under “Customize toolbar,” enable “Show home button” by clicking the switch next to it.
5. Under this you’ll see two options: “New tab page” or a blank text field. Double-click the text field and type “https://www.google.com” into it, then click “Save.”
Now, when you click the house icon in the top toolbar, you’ll be brought to Google.
How to make Google your homepage in Firefox
1. Open Firefox and click the three stacked lines in the top-right corner of the screen, then select “Preferences.”
2. In the left sidebar, click “Home.” This will open a page where you can set a new homepage.
3. Click on the box next to “Homepage and new windows” to reveal a dropdown menu. Scroll down and click on “Custom URLs.”
Microsoft Family Safety is more or less just what the name implies: It’s Microsoft’s family safety and parental controls app that you can use to manage your kid’s screen time and device usage.
To use the service, you need to install the Microsoft Family Safety app on each mobile device you want to manage, and every family member you want to track needs a Microsoft account.
What to know about Microsoft Family Safety
Once configured, Microsoft Family Safety monitors the screen time and time spent with specific games and apps on phones, tablets, and Xbox. Parents can do more than just monitor usage as well: You can turn on screen time limits and schedules, and filter specific apps and web browsing. The app also tracks locations using mobile device GPS, so you can see where your family members are.
Most of these features are free, though some premium features are only available if you have a subscription to Microsoft 365 Family, most notably location alerts and drive safety features.
How to get started with Microsoft Family Safety
To use Microsoft Family Safety, you’ll need to install the app on each of your family member’s devices. You can install Microsoft Family Safety for Android or for iOS. Start by installing it on your mobile device as a parent and sign in to your Microsoft account.
Unless you’ve already created a family group, you’ll initially be the only member of your family. Tap “Add a family member” and enter their email address associated with their Microsoft account. If your child doesn’t yet have a Microsoft account, tap “Create a child account” and follow the instructions to create one for them. They will get an invitation to join your family group; if needed, help them accept the invitation and get started with Family Safety.
Be sure to install the Microsoft Family Safety app on each of your kids’ devices, signing them into their own Microsoft accounts.
Using the map and tracking your family’s location
Microsoft Family Safety displays the location of your family members on a map, as long as you’ve enabled that feature in Settings.
To see the map, start Microsoft Family Safety and tap “Map” at the top of the screen. You should see pins for each family member.
If you want to, you can add saved locations to the map, which Microsoft calls “places.” When someone goes to that location, you’ll see it displayed on the family member’s card on the home page, so you can tell at a glance where they are.
Incognito mode – also known as “private browsing mode” – is a sneakier way to use the internet.
When you browse the internet with incognito mode on, you won’t leave any trace on the device you’re using. Your browser won’t save your browsing or search engine history, and won’t remember what sites you’ve logged into – or even what your username and password is.
It’s great if you share your computer or phone with other people, since no one else will be able to see what you’ve done once you close the window.
Nonetheless, incognito mode is great for enforcing privacy on a busy or shared device. Here’s how to turn on incognito mode on your computer or phone.
How to activate incognito mode or private browsing on your Mac or PC
Incognito mode is a feature in every major browser, although each browser tends to give it a different name. When you activate a private session, a new window will open – this is your incognito window.
When you’re done, just close the window to exit incognito mode.
How to activate incognito mode or private browsing on your phone or tablet
The browser on your phone also comes with private browsing options. We’ll explain how to activate it using the default browsers for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.