A ‘happy and relaxed’ Melania Trump is enjoying life after leaving the White House, report says

melania trump donald trump
Donald Trump and Melania Trump exit Air Force One at the Palm Beach International Airport on the way to Mar-a-Lago Club on January 20.

  • Melania Trump has stayed out of politics and the limelight since leaving the White House.
  • The former first lady sometimes enjoys spa treatments twice a day at Mar-a-Lago, CNN reports.
  • Sources close to the family say Melania appears “happy and relaxed.”
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Unlike her husband, Melania Trump has stayed out of politics since she left the White House in January.

The former first lady has not made any public appearances, and is even laying low at the couple’s residence, the Mar-a-Lago resort in West Palm Beach, Florida, according to a CNN report on Wednesday.

“She’s not a presence at Mar-a-Lago at all,” a source close to the former first family told CNN. “She’s not mingling with people and rarely interacts with her husband’s staff.”

Instead, Trump fills her days with regular visits to the on-site spa, occasionally getting treatments twice a day, a source told CNN. She also spends her time with the couple’s 15-year-old son, Barron, as well as with her parents, who sometimes spend weeks at the resort in their own personal suite.

Former President Donald Trump, on the other hand, has kept up his appearances, hosting lavish dinners and fundraisers for Republican groups and allies at his club.

Sources close to the family told CNN that Melania seems “happy and relaxed” when they do see her at dinner, and smiles and waves to guests as she arrives at the dining area with Trump.

The change of pace for the former first lady has been a long time coming. As CNN reported in December, Melania had grown eager to leave the White House and was privately planning her future. “She just wants to go home,” a source familiar with her thinking told CNN at the time.

The outlet also reported in January that Melania was looking for office space in Florida to continue the “Be Best” initiative she launched in 2018, a campaign focused on children’s wellbeing and cyberbullying.

Melania has set up her own office at the club, but little has come out of it so far, besides an embellished logo that resembles a presidential seal, CNN reported. She also has not yet announced plans for a memoir, a typical move for first ladies once they exit the White House.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Ivanka Trump breaks Twitter silence to posts photos of herself getting a COVID-19 vaccine

trump ivanka florida house
Former President Donald Trump and Ivanka Trump.

  • Ivanka Trump posted photos of herself receiving a COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday.
  • Trump is the first member of her immediate family to publicize her vaccination.
  • Republican voters and Trump loyalists are disproportionately hesitant or unwilling to get vaccinated.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Ivanka Trump, former President Donald Trump’s eldest daughter, broke her months-long silence on Twitter to post photos of herself getting a COVID-19 vaccination on Wednesday.

“Today, I got the shot!!! I hope that you do too!” Trump tweeted. “Thank you Nurse Torres!!!”

Trump, who hasn’t tweeted in almost three months, is the first member of her immediate family to publicize her vaccination. The former president and first lady didn’t tell the public that they were vaccinated. The news that they privately received immunizations in January was first reported by The New York Times in March.

Trump’s enthusiastic post about the COVID-19 vaccine is potentially significant because Republican voters and Trump loyalists are disproportionately hesitant or unwilling to get vaccinated.

About 25% of Trump voters told pollster Frank Luntz that they “definitely will not” get vaccinated and another 21% said they would wait for over a year to get the shot. Younger Republican women, those who live in rural areas, and those who don’t have a college degrees, are particularly concerned about getting a vaccine.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Trump reportedly granted Secret Service protections to all his adult children and 3 top officials before he left the White House. It will cost US taxpayers millions.

trump leaving white house final time
Outgoing US President Donald Trump waves as he boards Marine One at the White House in Washington, DC, on January 20, 2021

  • Former President Donald Trump granted extended Secret Service protections to his four adult children and their spouses before he left the White House, The Washington Post reported.
  • Former Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, former Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, and former National Security Advisor Robert C. O’Brien will also receive the expensive, full-time security detail.
  • The extended security detail could cost taxpayers millions of dollars, especially given the amount of traveling that the Trump children do related to the family company.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Former President Donald Trump extended Secret Service protections for all of his adult children and their spouses, as well as three top administration officials, just before leaving the White House, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.

The taxpayer-funded security will be extended to Trump’s four adult children and their spouses – Ivanka Trump and husband Jared Kushner, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and wife Lara Trump, and Tiffany Trump, three people familiar with the president’s request told The Post. Trump’s grandchildren will also be included in the protections deriving from that of their parents.

Former Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, and former National Security Advisor Robert C. O’Brien were also granted Secret Service protections by the president, according to The Post report.

The extended security detail could cost taxpayers millions of dollars, The Post reported, especially given the amount of traveling that the Trump children do related to the family company, the Trump Organization.

“From 2017 to 2019, government records show, Trump family members took more than 4,500 trips that required the Secret Service to travel alongside them, costing taxpayers tens of millions of dollars,” according to The Post report.

Read more: Biden’s inauguration is unlike any before. Photos show how his ceremony compares to those of previous presidents.

Typically, Trump and his wife Melania are automatically granted the expensive 24-hour protection for their lifetimes, and their 14-year-old son Barron will receive such protections until the age of 16. Former Vice President Mike Pence and his wife Karen Pence are also entitled to full-time security detail post-administration for the next six months.

Trump isn’t the first president to extend Secret Service protections to those who aren’t automatically entitled to receive them. Former presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush granted security details to their college-age daughters for a period of time following their terms. Former President Barack Obama extended protections to his daughters Sasha and Malia after he left office, who were in high school and college respectively.

The news of the security detail extension comes on the heels of President Joe Biden being inaugurated as the 46th president of the United States just before noon on Wednesday. Just hours before, Trump and former First Lady Melania Trump left the White House aboard Marine One to Palm Beach, Florida.

The Secret Service is also prepping to grant protections to Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris and their families, including Biden’s two adult children and Harris’ two stepchildren.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Doctor who criticized Trump’s actions during COVID-19 hospital stay removed from Walter Reed schedule: report

trump walter reed
A car with US President Trump drives past supporters in a motorcade outside of Walter Reed Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland on October 4, 2020.

  • Dr. James Phillips has been removed from the schedule at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center beginning in January, according to CBS News.
  • Phillips criticized President Donald Trump for his decision to greet supporters while he was being treated for COVID-19 in October.
  • During an October 5 interview on “Today,” Phillips said that Trump’s actions were “a dangerous move” and the “wrong message to be sending.”
  • Walter Reed officials told CBS News that the hospital “provides requirements for contract positions,” and stated that “schedules are determined by the contractor.”
  • The president was treated at Walter Reed for four days before being released.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Dr. James Phillips, the emergency room physician who called out President Donald Trump for his decision to greet supporters while he was being treated for the coronavirus in October, has been removed from the schedule at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center beginning in January, according to CBS News.

On October 4, Trump rode in a motorcade with attending Secret Service agents while still being infected with COVID-19. Phillips, the chief of disaster and operational medicine at George Washington University and an attending physician at Walter Reed, harshly criticized the president’s actions at the time.

In a tweet that has since been deleted, Phillips wrote: “Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential ‘drive-by’ just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die. For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity.”

He added in another tweet that has also been deleted: “That Presidential SUV is not only bulletproof, but hermetically sealed against chemical attack. The risk of COVID-19 transmission inside is as high as it gets outside of medical procedures. The irresponsibility is astounding. My thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play.”

During an October 5 interview on “Today,” Phillips said that Trump’s actions were “a dangerous move” and the “wrong message to be sending.”

Officials at Walter Reed told CBS News that the hospital “provides requirements for contract positions,” and stated that “schedules are determined by the contractor.”

They added: “There was no decision made by anyone at WRNMMC to remove Dr. Phillips from the schedule.”

This decision comes more than two months after Phillips’ initial criticism and a month after President-elect Joe Biden defeated Trump in the November general election.

“Colleagues of Dr. Phillips were surprised that a disaster medicine specialist would be eliminated from the schedule at a busy military hospital at a time when Maryland is nearing a record high for COVID-19 hospitalizations,” according to CBS News.

Trump, who revealed his COVID-19 diagnosis on October 2, stayed at the Walter Reed facility in Bethesda, Maryland for four days before being released. The first lady, Melania Trump, and their son, Barron, were also infected with the virus but recuperated at the White House.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residency is being spruced up while Melania checks out schools for Barron as the family eyes move to Florida, sources say

baron melania donald trump
President Donald Trump returns to the White House with First Lady Melania Trump (R) and their son Baron (L) after a weekend in Bedminster on August 16, 2020 in Washington, DC.

  • President Trump has asked for renovations to be made to his Mar-a-Lago residence as the first family considers moving to Florida after leaving the White House, People reported this week.
  • The White House has not made any official announcement about Trump’s post-presidency plans, but sources say the family’s private residence at the resort in Palm Beach “will be expanded and spruced up.”
  • First Lady Melania Trump is reportedly also looking for schools around the Palm Beach area and neighboring Broward County for 14-year-old Barron.
  • Despite being a lifelong New Yorker, Trump has always enjoyed spending time in Florida and even listed it as its primary residence in October last year.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Builders are making renovations to President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and First Lady Melania Trump is inspecting schools as the first family considers Florida as their next home, People reported this week.

While the White House has yet to make any official announcement about Trump’s post-presidency plans, sources close to the president told People that the 2,000-square-foot private residence at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach “will be expanded and spruced up.”

“They are definitely renovating his apartment within the Mar-a-Lago Club to make it larger, more modern, and comfortable for his use,” the source said, according to People.

“Mar-a-Lago is iconic, a building he took great pride in renovating when he bought it,” the source added. “It makes sense that he wants to be there and will make the mansion his home.”

Mar A Lago
President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida.

Melania Trump is also planning and has reportedly been looking for schools in the area for 14-year-old Barron to attend.

“They have looked all over Palm Beach County and neighboring Broward County for just the right place,” another source close to the first lady told People. “There are several options, and they will decide soon.”

Despite being a lifelong New Yorker, Trump has always enjoyed spending time in Florida, a state which voted for him in the 2016 and 2020 presidential election.

“No matter what else is happening in the world, he is treated like royalty at Mar-a-Lago. He loves to be here,” one source previously said, according to the Sun.

In October last year, the first family even changed their primary address from Fifth Avenue’s Trump Tower to the ocean-side resort club. The┬ápresident likes to spend a significant amount of time playing golf.

This isn’t to say that Trump will not be going to New York at all.

A White House source told People that the Trump family “has many homes and they will be traveling between them.” His properties include his club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and Trump Tower in New York City.

Meanwhile, Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, and son-in-law Jared Kushner seem to be steering away from New York City, where they were once prominent Manhattan socialites.

Last month, the couple – who have three children – were drawing up plans to expand their property in New Jersey and were reportedly planning on turning to other endeavors beyond real estate.

Trump is set to move out of the White House on January 20, after losing the election to President-elect Joe Biden last month.

Read the original article on Business Insider