If you buy through our links, we may earn money from affiliate partners. Learn more.
If you’ve been on the fence about trying out a bed-in-a-box, Amazon Prime Day 2021 offers lucrative discounts to help you take the plunge. This year’s Prime Day event runs from tomorrow, June 21 to June 22 and it’s a perfect time to buy a mattress.
Not only do the deals on Amazon offer great savings for Prime members, but you can expect other retailers – including direct-to-consumer brands like Casper, Leesa, and Dreamcloud – to offer their own sales to compete with the event. No matter what mattress you’re in the market for, it’s likely you’ll find savings of a couple hundred dollars during Amazon Prime Day.
If you haven’t quite settled on what mattress is best for you yet, we’ve outlined picks in our mattress buying guide for every type of sleeper. We also have dedicated guides for the best mattresses for side sleepers, the best foam mattresses, and best mattresses for back pain.
With Prime Day starting tomorrow, we’ll continue to update this guide with the best deals. For now, check out our coverage of the best mattress deals happening now for the most up-to-date information on mattress deals.
Early Prime Day mattress deals from Amazon
Other mattress deals and sales
In addition to the savings you can find on Amazon, most mattress companies are running their own sales right now. Here are all the major mattress sales happening now, plus some exclusive deals for Insider readers.
Exclusive mattress sales for Insider readers:
- Casper: Use code INSIDER to save $100 on the Original mattress or $200 on the Nova or Wave mattresses
- Cocoon by Sealy: Use code INSIDER36 for 36% off sitewide
- DreamCloud: Get $200 off a mattress and $399 in free accessories with code INSIDER
- Leesa: Save an additional 20% off Hybrid and Legend mattresses with code INSIDER
- Nectar: Use code INSIDER to save (discount increases with mattress size)
- Tempur-Pedic: Use code BI30 to get 30% off Tempur-Cloud mattresses
The best mattress sales happening right now:
- Avocado: Save $250 on the Organic Luxury Plush Mattress with code LIBERTY, Save $100 on Latex Mattresses with code SLEEPFREE, save $100 on Green and Vegan Hybrid Mattresses with code SLEEPFREE
- Awara: $300 off mattresses + $499 in free accessories
- Bear: 25% off all mattresses + $250 free gift set with code CHILL
- Big Fig Mattress: $200 off The Big Fig Mattress with code DADSDAY
- Birch: $200 off mattresses + 2 free pillows with code MEMORIALDAY200
- Brooklyn Bedding: 20% off mattresses with code SUMMER20
- Casper: Save 15% off mattress, 10% off pillows, sheets, and more
- Cocoon by Sealy: 35% off chill mattresses + free pillows and sheets with every purchase
- DreamCloud: $200 off mattresses + $399 in free accessories
- Emma: Up to 35% off all mattresses
- GhostBed: 30% of mattresses + 2 free pillows
- Helix: Save $200 off on orders of $1,750 or more with code MEMORIALDAY200, $150 off orders of $1,250 or more with code MEMORIALDAY150, or $100 off orders of $600 or more with code MEMORIALDAY100, + 2 free pillows
- Leesa: Up to $400 off mattresses and 15% off bundles
- Nectar: $399 of accessories with every mattress purchase
- Nolah: Up to $800 off mattresses + 2 free pillows
- Purple: Free sheets + pillow with select mattress purchases
- Saatva: $200 off mattress purchases of $950 or more
- Sleep Number: Save up to $1,000 on select Sleep Number 360 smart beds,
- Tempur-Pedic: Save $500 on Tempur-Breeze mattresses, + $300 instant gift with mattress set purchase; save 30% on the Tempur-Cloud mattress; buy one, get one free on Tempur pillows.
- Tuft & Needle: Up to 20% off sitewide
- Wayfair: Mattresses starting at $130 with sales on big names like Sealy, Casper, Serta, and Simmons
What mattress deals can I expect during Prime Day?
What’s the best mattress to buy?
When shopping for a mattress, you’ll want to consider any medical conditions you may have, your ideal sleep position, body size, and preference. Side sleepers tend to prefer a softer mattress, while back sleepers, stomach sleepers, heavy people, and those with back pain need the support of a firmer mattress to bring their spine into proper alignment. If you share a bed with someone who has wildly different sleep preferences than you, you may benefit from a Split King mattress or an adjustable air bed like the Sleep Number 360 i8 Smart Bed.
We’ve tested dozens of mattresses over the years, so much so that we put together a comprehensive guide to the best mattresses. If you’re looking for a budget mattress available on Amazon, we love the Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress. Other plush favorites include brands like Dreamcloud, Tempur-Pedic, and Leesa.
The best way to find out if a mattress is right for you is to sleep on it for several nights. This makes a long risk-free sleep trial important. Fortunately, most bed-in-a-box brands offer trials of 90 nights or more whether you purchase your mattress from the company’s website or from Amazon.
What size mattress should you buy?
In general, Twin, Twin XL, and Full-size beds are for individuals sleeping alone, while Queen, King, and California King mattresses are for couples. If you’re a smaller person who sleeps alone, a Twin should be big enough. If you’re a little taller, go with Twin XL. And, if you’re a bigger, go with a Full.
Most couples will be happy with a Queen, the most popular mattress size. Taller people should consider the Cal King. And, larger sleeping partners will benefit from a King. You may also want a larger mattress if you share a bed with pets.
How much should I spend on a mattress?
Price doesn’t take center stage as much as comfort and preference. Here’s our breakdown on what you can expect to spend on a new mattress:
|Type of mattress||Budget||Mid-priced||Luxury|
|Foam mattress||$450 or less||From $1,000||From $1,300|
|Innerspring mattress||$600 or less||From $1,000||From $1,200|
|Hybrid mattress||$1,100 or less||From $1,500||From $2,200|
|Latex mattress||$1,200 or less||From $2,000||From $2,500|
Based on rigorous testing and research, our favorite mattress, the Dreamcloud Premier Hybrid Mattress, is just under $1,400. But, our best budget option, Zinus, is often available on Amazon for less than $350.
In our testing, we’ve found that you generally get what you pay for when you invest in a mattress. Also, keep in mind that this is an item that you’ll spend a third of your life on for the next decade or more. Your comfort is worth spending a few extra cents per night to get the mattress that is right for you.
Where to buy a mattress: online or in store?
You may find peace of mind in going to a store to lay down on a mattress before you buy, but in our experience it takes several nights of sleeping on a mattress to know if it’s right for you. Online retailers can deliver mattresses right to your door and offer lengthy risk-free trial periods so you can give your bed a realistic shake before committing.
Other Amazon Prime Day 2021 FAQs
What is Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon Prime Day is an exclusive shopping event where everything from mattresses to coffee machines go on sale. This one-day event grew in popularity and is now a 48-hour online deal-dash, so be sure to have Amazon as your prime (no pun intended) tab in June if you plan on shopping the deals.
When is Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon Prime Day 2021 will run from midnight PDT on June 21 through June 22. Competing retailers like Walmart (now through June 23) and Target (now through June 22) will also be holding their own sales during that time. We will keep you updated with all of the online deals across the web during this sales event.
Do I have to be a Prime Member?
Yes, you have to have Prime-member status in order to qualify for the various deals, but if you’re not ready to commit to a full membership, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial to shop the sale. Sign up below so you don’t miss out.