If you buy through our links, we may earn money from affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Now is the worst time to buy a new Apple MacBook laptop.
- Apple is rumored to launch new MacBook Pro and Air models in the coming months.
- Plus, we may see deals on current MacBook laptops during Amazon Prime Day and over the summer.
- Check out our guide to the best MacBooks for more Apple laptop buying advice.
Thinking about buying a new MacBook? It’s probably in your best interest to hold off.
Unless you’re in immediate need of a new laptop, there are a few reasons why it’s a good idea to wait before purchasing a new Apple laptop. For one, Apple is expected to announce redesigned MacBook Pro models in the coming months that will come with more powerful processors among other improvements, according to Bloomberg.
The biggest reason to wait on upgrading is simply because newer MacBook Pro laptops may be launching in the coming months.
Here’s a look at what’s in Apple’s pipeline according to Bloomberg.
- New high-end MacBook Pro (14-inch and 16-inch): Redesigned versions of the MacBook Pro with faster new chips, more ports, and MagSafe charging could debut as early as the summer, the report says. These new MacBook Pros would come in 14-inch and 16-inch variants, making it the first time since 2019 that Apple has introduced a new size option and updated its larger-sized MacBook Pro. The new Apple processor in these laptops is also expected to bring noteworthy gains in performance. The upgraded processor will reportedly come with a new 10-core design with the option for 16 or 32 graphics cores, the report says. That’s compared to today’s Apple M1, which includes eight computing cores and eight graphics cores.
- New MacBook Air: The MacBook Air could get an upgrade toward the end of 2021, according to Bloomberg. This laptop will reportedly come with a different new Apple processor that’s meant to be a direct successor to the M1. It’s also said to come with a refreshed design that’s likely similar to the new look we’re expecting to see on the updated MacBook Pro.
- New MacBook Pro (13-inch): There’s also another smaller new MacBook Pro in the works that will be powered by the same processor as the MacBook Air, says Bloomberg. It’s unclear when this model could launch.
There might be deals on Amazon Prime Day.
Amazon’s Prime Day sale is expected to kick off soon, and that usually means big discounts on electronics — including Apple’s MacBooks.
Last year, for example, the early 2020 MacBook Air was available at a $150 discount on Amazon Prime Day. So, even if you’re content with buying a current generation MacBook rather than waiting for the next update, it’s still best to hold off and see what deals might be available.
Amazon hasn’t announced when Prime Day will take place in 2021, but it’s expected to happen sometime in June. Prime Day typically happens in July, with 2020 (and now possibly 2021) being the exception.
Back-to-school season usually means laptop sales, too.
Apple offers discounted pricing for students and teachers year-round, but it usually runs a special back-to-school promotion in the summer.
Product pricing doesn’t usually change, but Apple will typically throw in a free pair of headphones with your Mac purchase during the promotional period. For last year’s promotion, which started in mid-June, Apple threw in a free pair of AirPods with a Mac purchase for qualifying customers.
Although it’s not technically a new discount, waiting a bit longer before upgrading your Mac could mean you’ll get freebies that wouldn’t otherwise be available if you’re a student.
Regardless, other retailers like Best Buy typically offer back-to-school discounts on laptops over the summer, so it’s worth waiting to see if any MacBooks go on sale.