An app-cluttered home screen makes using your iPad much less pleasant when you have to comb through dozens of little icons to find the app you want.
You can delete unwanted apps from your iPad’s home screen to clean up its appearance, free up storage space, and improve your interface experience.
When you delete an app from the home screen, any data stored within the app, such as levels beaten in a game, will be lost.
If you want to delete an app and archive its data, you can instead “offload” the app in Settings. Then, when you re-download the app, your data will be recovered.
Here’s how to delete, remove, or offload apps on your iPad.
How to delete apps on an iPad
1. Press and hold your finger down on the app you want to delete on your iPad home screen.
2. Tap “Delete App” in the pop-up menu that appears.
How to offload apps on iPad to save their data
If you want to delete multiple apps at once or save an app’s data before you remove it, you can offload or delete the apps in Settings.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPad.
2. Tap the “General” tab and select “iPad Storage.”
3. Scroll down to find a list of apps and tap the one you want to offload or delete.
4. Tap “Offload App,” then confirm by hitting “Offload App” again. This will delete the app, but keep its documents and data. You can also select “Delete” instead of “Offload App” if you want to delete multiple apps this way.
5. You can also choose to let your iPad automatically offload unused apps when it’s low on storage. On the iPad Storage page, tap “Enable” beside “Offload Unused Apps.”
In Microsoft Word, you can insert section breaks to divide your document into sections and apply formatting to specific blocks of text. For example, you can have a section with different margin sizes, sections with different headers and footers, and more. Section breaks differ from page breaks, which move the content after a page break to the beginning of the next page.
Below, you’ll find step-by-step instructions for how to remove a section break in Word on Windows and Mac Office programs. When you delete a section break, the text before and after the break combines into one section, which takes on the formatting of the latter section.
Here’s how to remove section breaks from your Word document.
“Among Us” is one of the most popular multiplayer video games available right now. Although it was originally only available for iOS and Android mobile devices, the game has expanded to other platforms, allowing even more players to join the crew.
Yes, ‘Among Us’ is a cross-platform game
“Among Us” is a multiplayer game available for Android and iOS mobile devices, Windows computers, and the Nintendo Switch. And unlike some other games that can be played on multiple systems, “Among Us” is fully cross-platform.
Related Article Module: ‘Among Us’ is the biggest game of 2020, but don’t play it on the Nintendo Switch
To say that a video game is “cross-platform” means that multiple people can play the game together regardless of what platform they’re using. Here, for example, it means that “Among Us” players on an iPhone can host or join games with PC or Switch players. As long as you are on the same server and the regional versions of the game don’t conflict with each other, you can play together online.
To play “Among Us” across different devices, all players will need to be logged into the same server, which is determined by geographical location: North America, Europe, or Asia. This means that players in North America won’t be able to play with friends in Asia or Europe unless they change their location in-game.
One of the iPhone’s greatest assets is its connectivity. Built into Apple products are several ways to share what you’re viewing or working on from your iPhone to a Mac.
This can be useful if you want to display a photo album or app on your computer, or play video content directly from iPhone apps like Hulu.
The drawback to mirroring your iPhone to your Mac, however, is that you have to either use the QuickTime app on your Mac, which requires a wired connection, or download a third-party app, like Reflector, which uses AirPlay. Here’s how to do both.
How to mirror your iPhone to a Mac with QuickTime
1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac using your Lightning to USB cable.
2. Open QuickTime on your Mac.
3. Click on “File” in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
4. Click “New Movie Recording.”
5. Next to the red record button (bottom middle), click on the down arrow. Select your iPhone from the list of available devices. If it’s not there, try disconnecting and reconnecting your iPhone.
6. Your phone should now be fully mirrored on your computer, in the exact shape of your iPhone screen.
How to mirror your iPhone to a Mac with AirPlay
AirPlay is an Apple feature that lets you wirelessly stream content from one device to another. It’s designed for streaming from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to an Apple TV or AirPlay-compatible smart TV.
There’s no direct way to AirPlay, or screen mirror, from an iPhone to a Mac, but you can work around that by downloading a third-party app like Reflector, and connecting both devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
To mirror your iPhone to Mac, first download Reflector on Mac. Then open the Control Center on your iPhone, click AirPlay, and select the Mac you want to mirror to.
Here’s a full step-by-step guide.
1. Download the Reflector app on your Mac, and open it.
2. You can either AirPlay content directly from an app that allows for AirPlay like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or the NFL app, in this example. Or, you can AirPlay your entire iPhone screen by opening the Control Center.
3. If you’re AirPlaying from within an app, start playing content, like a show or movie, and hit the AirPlay symbol (it’s a rectangle with a solid triangle at the bottom) in the upper-right corner of the video.
If you’re AirPlaying from the Control Center, select the “Screen Mirroring” tile.
4. Once you’ve selected either the AirPlay symbol from within an app or “Screen Mirroring” from the Control Center, a pop-up will ask you to select a device – tap the name of your Mac.
5. Your iPhone will ask for an AirPlay Code, which will be displayed on your Mac. Type the code into the text box on your iPhone. Your iPhone content will now show up on the Reflector program on your Mac.
If it came with your Galaxy device, you won’t need to connect it, but there are still a few steps needed to use it. And the newer your device, the more features you’ll have access to with the S Pen.
How to use S Pen on Samsung Galaxy
You can start using the S Pen by pressing on the end of it to release it from your Galaxy device. Your Galaxy will vibrate to let you know that it recognizes you’ve released it.
Your S Pen should start working immediately. If it doesn’t, hover the S Pen over the screen and quickly double-press the button in the middle of the stylus.
Ways to use the S Pen
You can use the S Pen to do anything that you could normally do with your finger. And depending on the Galaxy Note or Tab model you have, you may be able to use some or all of the following useful features. Test them all out and see which ones you like.
Take notes on the lock screen. Simply take out your S Pen and write on the locked screen.
Customize the pen button. Press and hold the pen button. Go into your settings’ advanced features section for the S Pen and select “S Pen remote” or “Air actions.” Then tap “Hold down Pen button to” and select the desired option.
Annotate a PDF. Open the desired PDF file in the Samsung Notes app and write your notes on it with the S Pen as you read.
Automatically change your handwriting to text. Turn on your S Pen and open the Samsung Notes app. Create your handwritten note and hit save, then tap the handwriting-to-text icon in the lower toolbar.
Turn your stylus into a remote. Go into your settings, then select “Advanced Features,” and then “S Pen,” followed by “Air Actions.” Then tap the toggle to turn on the “S Pen remote” option.
Remotely take photos and videos. Follow the steps above to use the stylus as a remote. Then, when you have the camera open and ready, simply tap the end of the stylus once to take a photo or begin a video. Tapping twice will switch between the front and rear cameras. This works when the stylus is less than 10 meters away from the device.
Control your music and other media with the S Pen. Once you’ve set up your S Pen as a remote, you’ll also have the ability to start and stop your media by tapping the end of the stylus while watching a video or listening to music.
Customize air actions. Swipe down on your device, and on the notification panel, select “S Pen air actions.” Under “App actions,” select the app you want to customize. Tap the item you want to customize and select either “Pen button” or “Gestures.”
Use direct pen input. This is turned on by default and allows you to write in text boxes, like in the Messages, Internet, or Phone app, and also converts your handwriting to text.
Advance through a slide deck. Open a presentation on your phone, then pull down your notification menu and choose to use your phone as a touchpad. Go into presentation mode and click your pen once to go to the next slide, or twice to go back a slide.
One of the advantages of having a large computer monitor is being able to see two or more windows side by side on the same screen.
In Windows 10, splitting your screen makes it easier to copy and paste between windows, see information from multiple sources at once, or just generally multitask. You can divide your screen with two, three, or four windows. Here’s how to do it.
How to split screen on Windows 10
To split screen in Windows 10, simply drag a window all the way to one side of the screen until it snaps into place. Then select another window to fill the other half of your screen.
Here’s a full step-by-step guide with keyboard shortcuts.
Split screen between two windows
1. Drag one of the windows by its title bar to the left or right side of the screen. You’ll see an outline of the window appear – release your mouse and the window will snap into that outlined position.
2. You should now see all your other open programs appear in thumbnails on the opposite side of the screen.
3. Click one of the other program windows. It will snap to the other side of the screen, so you’ll have two windows side by side.
Split screen between four windows
If you have a larger display, you can snap up to four windows to the screen – one in each corner. The process is similar to snapping a window to either side of the screen:
1. Drag one of the windows by its title bar to a corner of the screen. As the cursor reaches the corner, the screen will flash and you’ll see an outline of where the window will appear. Let go of the mouse button to snap the window into place.
2. Drag the next window to another corner in the same way. Again, let go of the mouse to snap it into place.
3. In the empty space of your screen, you should see thumbnails of your remaining open windows. Click the program you want and, if you want it to take up a third of the screen, snap it to the entire remaining side of the screen. If you want to pin four windows, drag it by the title bar to snap it into one of the remaining corners, and then select another window to pin to the final corner.
At any time, you can “unsnap” a window by dragging it by the title bar away from the edge or corner.
However, there’s no denying that leaning back with a controller in your hand is much more relaxing than crouching over a mouse and keyboard.
Fortunately, just like you can connect your mouse and keyboard to a PS4, you can likewise connect your PS4 controller to a PC.
Here are three different ways to connect your PS4 controller to a Windows 10 PC.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with USB
If you want to connect the controller with a micro-USB cable (the same cable you use to charge the controller), you have two options.
Connect via Steam
If you’re a PC gamer, chances are that you have a Steam account. Luckily, Steam makes connecting new controllers easy.
1. Open Steam and click the “Big Picture Mode” icon in the top-right – it looks like a square with two arrows pointing out.
2. Once in Big Picture Mode, select the gear icon at the top-right to navigate to Settings.
3. Under the “Controller” tab, click “Controller Settings.”
4. Check the box for “PlayStation Configuration Support.”
5. Plug the PS4 controller into your PC using the micro-USB cable. Make sure the backlight on the controller glows to indicate there’s a connection.
6. Steam should automatically detect and configure your controller. Click it when it appears at the bottom of the page.
Connect via DS4 Windows Utility
If you want to use the wired controller with a non-Steam game, this is another option.
1. In a web browser on your PC, go to DS4Windows.com. Click “Download Now.”
2. You’ll be redirected to Github. Find and click the DS4Windows.zip file, and then download it onto your computer.
3. Find the downloaded .zip file on your computer and open it, and then double-click “DS4Updater” and click “Extract All.”
4. Pick a location for the files to be extracted to – it should be a location that you can find easily.
5. Once extracted, open the location you picked and double-click “DS4Windows.” If you’re asked to confirm that you want to run the program, click “Run.”
6. You’ll be asked where you want to save the program’s files. If you don’t care where they go, pick “Appdata” – if you want to be able to move them around, pick “Program Folder” and select a location.
7. Once you’ve picked a spot to save the files, click “Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver” and let the program install its files. If you’re asked whether you’d like to install the software, click “Install.”
You can now use the PS4 controller on your PC with a micro-USB cable, although you may need to restart your computer first.
How to connect PS4 controllerto PC with Bluetooth
If your PC supports Bluetooth – and if it was made in the last ten years, chances are it does – you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
This method also works for the newer PS5 DualSense controller, although that controller might not be supported by every game.
1. Open your PC’s search menu (you can press the Windows key + Q to open it immediately) and search for “Bluetooth.”
2. When “Bluetooth and other devices settings” appears in the search results, click on it.
3. Make sure your computer has Bluetooth enabled by setting the switch labeled “Bluetooth” to “On.”
4. Hold down the Playstation and Share buttons on your controller until the backlight starts flashing.
5. On your PC, click “Add Bluetooth or other device,” and select “Bluetooth.”
6. You’ll see your PS4 controller listed as “Wireless Controller.” Click it to finalize the connection. If you’re asked for a passcode, enter “0000.”
Dave Johnson contributed to a previous version of this article.
Related Article Module: Emulators can turn your PC into a Mac, let you play games from any era, and more – here’s what you should know about the potential benefits and risks of using one
Like any emulator, BlueStacks creates a virtual version of an Android device that runs in a window on your computer. It doesn’t look exactly like an Android device, but it resembles a phone’s screen well enough that even a first-time user should have no trouble using it.
BlueStacks is free to download, install, and use. While you can use BlueStacks to run almost any Android app (it’s compatible with about 97% of the apps in the Google Play Store), the app has found its largest audience with Android users who want to play mobile games on their desktop computer.
The app is optimized for gamers, but gives direct access to the Google Play Store, and any app can be downloaded using your Google account, just like on an Android device.
BlueStacks is a safe and trustworthy app
BlueStacks is a legitimate app that’s developed and produced by a major company. As long as you install the program from BlueStacks’ website, it’s safe to install and use – installing it from a third-party site might be more risky.
Even so, some anti-malware utilities might block the installation of the program even from the Bluestack website. As long as you’re installing the official program from Bluestack, it’s safe to proceed.
It’s also completely legal – although some companies try to argue otherwise, emulators are protected by US law, and can be run like any other app.
BlueStacks’ main features and capabilities
The BlueStacks home screen doesn’t replicate any particular version of Android or phone screen, but it should be easy for any Android user to find their way around.
The home screen includes an icon for the Google Play Store as well as a collection of system apps (including Settings). A toolbar on the side of the window gives you access to the programs’ various modes and features, as well as lets you adjust the volume, take screenshots, rotate the display, and more.
There’s also a separate settings icon for adjusting BlueStacks’ settings – this is different from adjusting the virtual Android device’s settings.
You can navigate around using the Back, Home, and Recent Apps icons at the bottom-right of the toolbar.
BlueStacks’ most popular features
Easy app installation: You can install Android apps directly from the Google Play Store within BlueStacks in the same way you’d install any app on your phone. If you have an app’s .APK file (the executable app file) you can install it from the BlueStacks toolbar.
Integration with PC devices: BlueStacks integrates seamlessly with your computer’s devices and peripherals, including the mouse, keyboard, webcam, and more. These devices will work as if they were built into your Android device, and Android apps will be able to take advantage of them automatically.
Game controls: Most Android games have a set of default controls that make the best use of the computer’s mouse and keyboard, though you can modify and customize these controls within BlueStacks.
Multi-instance support: BlueStacks allows you to open the same game in multiple windows, playing it with two or more accounts at once. You can use this to play multiple games at the same time, to play the same game from several accounts, or even to play multiplayer games with yourself.
Macros: BlueStacks includes a robust macro editor to automate tasks with keyboard shortcuts.