Kodak deletes Instagram post by photographer who called out Chinese oppression of Uyghurs

kodak
The Kodak headquarters in Rochester, New York.

  • Kodak deleted an Instagram post featuring the work of a photographer who criticized Uyghur suppression.
  • Patrick Wack’s images of Xinjiang, China, were deleted after blowback from Beijing supporters.
  • Kodak apologized on WeChat, saying: “We will continue to respect the Chinese government.”
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Kodak deleted an Instagram post featuring photos from the Xinjiang region of China, where the government has been accused of human rights violations against the majority-Muslim Uyghur people, after blowback from Beijing supporters, according to The New York Times.

The post featured the work of French photographer Patrick Wack, who is releasing a book of images from his multiple trips to Xinjiang between 2016 and 2019.

In the deleted post, Wack described his images as a visual narrative of Xinjiang’s “abrupt descent into an Orwellian dystopia,” The Times reports.

China has been accused of cracking down on the Uyghur people by forcing them into re-education camps, surveilling them, controlling birth rates, destroying mosques and shrines, and supporting settlement in Xinjiang of China’s majority race, the Han.

A post shared by Kodak (@kodak)

After receiving backlash from Chinese social media users, the post was taken down by Kodak, which subsequently released an apology on the site, The Times reports.

The company said that the content of the post “was not authored by Kodak” and its views “do not represent those of Kodak and are not endorsed by Kodak.”

“Kodak’s Instagram page is intended to enable creativity by providing a platform for promoting the medium of film … We apologize for any misunderstanding or offense the post may have caused,” the post says.

According to Hong Kong Free Press, Kodak also apologized on its WeChat page, a popular social media website in China, blaming the post on “management loopholes.”

A post shared by Patrick Wack (@patwack)

A post shared by Patrick Wack (@patwack)

A post shared by Patrick Wack (@patwack)

“For a long time, Kodak has maintained a good relationship with the Chinese government and has been in close cooperation with various government departments. We will continue to respect the Chinese government and the Chinese law,” the statement read, according to Hong Kong Free Press.

“We will keep ourselves in check and correct ourselves, taking this as an example of the need for caution.”

Neither Kodak nor Wack immediately responded to Insider’s request for comment on Thursday.

Wack told The Times that a Kodak social media manager was the first to reach out to him, taking an interest in his work.

He said that this manager reached out to him after the post was taken down to apologize, saying the decision had been made by upper management, The Times reports.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Kodak stock surges 88% after federal watchdog finds no problems with halted $765 million government loan

kodak

  • Kodak stock surged as much as 88% on Monday, boosting its market capitalization to north of $1 billion.
  • A federal watchdog found no wrongdoing in the creation of the $765 million government loan earmarked to fund the camera maker’s shift toward manufacturing COVID-19 drug ingredients earlier this year, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • When news of the loan broke in late July, Kodak shares skyrocketed as much as 2,190% in two days.
  • However, the launch of congressional probes and a SEC investigation meant the funding was swiftly put on ice.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Kodak shares soared as much as 88% on Monday after a government watchdog found no problems with the process that created a $765 million federal loan to finance the camera company’s pivot toward making COVID-19 drug ingredients earlier this year.

The inspector general of the US International Development Finance Corporation, the agency behind the loan, delivered the results of his investigation to Sen. Elizabeth Warren in late November, The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday. His assessment found no evidence of conflicts of interest or misconduct among the agency’s employees.

Read More: Goldman Sachs says buy these 19 beaten-down stocks on its ‘holiday shopping list’ that are poised to break out in the 1st quarter of 2021

The DFC signed a letter of interest on July 28 to provide the $765 million loan to Kodak under the Defense Production Act, which requires companies to accept and prioritize government contracts for national security and other reasons.

Kodak said it would use the funding to launch a pharmaceutical division that would make generic-drug ingredients in critically short supply. Trump described the agreement as “one of the most important deals in the history of US pharmaceutical industries.”

Read More: Billionaire investor Ray Dalio breaks down how US debt and money-printing binges have formed a ‘classic toxic mix’ that could set it on a downward spiral towards revolution and civil war

News of the deal sent Kodak’s stock price up as much as 2,190% in two days, briefly boosting its market capitalization to north of $4.6 billion.

However, it plummeted within days after the Securities and Exchange Commission launched an investigation and Democratic politicians including Warren expressed concerns about the loan.

Kodak’s market cap rebounded to north of $1 billion on Monday.

Read the original article on Business Insider