Kayleigh McEnany said Trump finds it ‘kind of freeing’ to be off Twitter since he was banned

Kayleigh McEnany
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany takes off her face covering before speaking with reporters outside the West Wing of the White House on October 2, 2020 in Washington, DC.

  • When Donald Trump got banned from Twitter, he went “ballistic,” according to a Politico report.
  • But now, two months later, he finds it “kind of freeing,” former press aide Kayleigh McEnany said.
  • At the time of his ban in January, Trump tried tweeting from other White House–affiliated accounts and threatened to establish his own social media platform.
  • Visit the Business section of Insider for more stories.

Ex-White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Friday said former President Donald Trump is “doing just fine” without Twitter, a stark contrast to his behavior after initially learning he was banned.

Trump was banned from Twitter in January because of his potential to incite further violence following the deadly siege on the US Capitol, the platform said. 

At the time, the former president was infuriated by the move. A senior administration official told Politico that Trump went “ballistic.”

Trump even tried to tweet from different avenues.

Shortly after Twitter removed his @realDonaldTrump account, the president tweeted from the official @POTUS and @TeamTrump handles. But Twitter immediately deleted those posts as well. 

One of his now-deleted tweets said the former president had begun “negotiating with various other sites” and hinted at a big announcement. His team would “look at the possibilities of building our own platform in the near future,” he said.

His frustration spread to other Republicans, who attempted to start a movement to get people off Twitter.

Immediately following his permanent suspension, many high-level and prominent Republicans expressed solidarity with the former president, urging their followers to flock elsewhere. They began sharing their Parler accounts on Twitter.

Parler is a social media app used prominently by Republican and conservative figures, who’ve dubbed it the “free speech” platform.

Despite all the commotion, Trump finds it liberating to be off Twitter these days, said McEnany, now a contributor for Fox News.

“He said it was kind of freeing not to have Twitter,” she said. “He had a lot of time on his hands. So I think he’s doing just fine without social media.”

Twitter banned Trump after insurrectionists stormed the US Capitol building on January 6, leading to five people dead. His tweets, the platform said, violated Twitter policies of civic integrity. 

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company said in a tweet.

Leading up to the days of the riot, Trump frequently used his Twitter account to espouse and spread false information about the 2020 elections to millions of his followers. 

Read the original article on Business Insider

Former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany joins Fox News

Kayleigh McEnany
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a press briefing at the White House, Friday, May 1, 2020, in Washington.

  • Former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany will join Fox News as an on-air commentator.
  • McEnany gave her first public interview on Tuesday since leaving the White House.
  • She previously worked at Fox News and CNN.
  • Visit the Business section of Insider for more stories.

Former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany will join Fox News, the network announced Tuesday.

Fox News host Harris Faulkner shared the news with viewers during her show and welcomed McEnany to the team.

“It is my distinct pleasure today to welcome Kayleigh McEnany to the Fox family,” Faulkner said. “We will be seeing much more of her in the future.”

A Fox News spokesperson told Insider that McEnany will serve as an on-air commentator. 

McEnany’s first public interview since leaving the White House aired on Fox News on Tuesday. The former press secretary discussed the Capitol riot on January 6 and said that she was in “disbelief” over the scene.

“We had been to hundreds of rallies – I’ve probably been to hundreds at this point, certainly many dozens – and they were nothing but peaceful events, and we expected that day to be the same,” McEnany said. “And then as those events transpired, it was disbelief, shock, somber, sad, horrified by the violence, and it was a very hard, difficult day in the White House, there is no doubt.”

McEnany held her last press conference at the Trump administration the day after the deadly insurrection. She delivered a two-minute statement denouncing the violence “in the strongest possible terms” and then walked out of the White House briefing room without taking any questions from reporters. McEnany packed up her bags and left the White House on January 15, five days before former President Donald Trump’s term ended. She’d served in her role since April 2020.

McEnany is not new to the media world. Early in her career, she was a production assistant at Fox News and later became a commentator for CNN.

In 2017, McEnany served as the national spokesperson for the Republican National Committee. She then worked on Trump’s campaign as a national press secretary before joining his administration.

McEnany frequently blurred the lines between her government job and as a personal advisor to Trump. She made several appearances on Fox News and at campaign rallies on behalf of the former president during her last months as press secretary.

 

Read the original article on Business Insider

Former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany says she was shocked that Trump’s January 6 rally turned violent

kayleigh mcenany
Kayleigh McEnany, the former White House press secretary, on Fox News.

The former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said she was shocked that the pro-Trump “Stop the Steal” rally on January 6 turned violent.

In her first interview since leaving the White House, McEnany told Fox News that she had expected the rally for then-President Donald Trump to be peaceful. Those events have a history of violence, and law-enforcement agencies had issued warnings about the rally.

“I think that at the beginning of the day, before everyone went to the rally, everyone was expecting peace,” McEnany said. “We had been to hundreds of rallies – I’ve probably been to hundreds at this point, certainly many dozens – and they were nothing but peaceful events, and we expected that day to be the same.

“And then as those events transpired, it was disbelief, shock, somber, sad, horrified by the violence, and it was a very hard, difficult day in the White House, there is no doubt.”

McEnany said the mood in the White House was a “synonymous feeling” of horror when the Trump supporters stormed the Capitol in an attack that resulted in five deaths, including the Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick.

McEnany said “everyone” was “just completely condemning the actions of that day.”

While multiple White House staffers and Cabinet members resigned after the riot, Trump was said to have been pleased with the violence. One former aide told CNN in early February that Trump was “loving watching the Capitol mob,” while officials told The New York Times that Trump was initially pleased with the violence and ignored aides’ attempts to get him to intervene.

McEnany’s final White House press conference was a two-minute affair held the day after the riot. She condemned the violence, calling it “appalling, reprehensible, and antithetical to the American way.”

She packed up her office a week later and reportedly finished out her days on the job working remotely from her home in Florida.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Forbes editor issues warning to companies intending to hire Trump officials: ‘We’ll assume everything you talk about is a lie’

trump former press secretaries
Pictured: Sean Spicer, Kayleigh McEnany, and Kellyanne Conway

  • The editor of Forbes — Randall Lane — has warned companies that choose to hire officials from President Donald Trump’s administration that they will be heavily scrutinized, he wrote in an article.
  • Lane wrote that, following Wednesday’s attempted coup, there should be a “truth reckoning.”
  • The editor said that, as part of that reckoning, there would be “repercussions” for those who have lied on behalf of Trump.
  • Lane name-called Trump’s former press secretaries and said that companies that employ them could be viewed as a “potential funnel of disinformation” by the magazine.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

In the wake of Wednesday’s attempted coup, Forbes – the American business magazine – has issued a warning to companies hoping to hire former officials from President Donald Trump’s administration.

Businesses that choose to hire Trump administration alumni will, the editor said, be held to account.

“Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie,” the magazine’s editor Randall Lane wrote.  “We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet,” Lane added.

In the article titled ‘A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable,’ Lane reflected on the lies that spurred rioters to ransack the US Capitol building.

The easiest way for American democracy to recover from the insurrection, he wrote, is to “create repercussions for those who don’t follow the civic norms.”

In the Forbes article, Lane name-called Trump’s press secretaries and a former senior counselor to the president – Sean Spicer, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Stephanie Grisham, Kayleigh McEnany, and Kellyanne Conway – and referred to the group as “Trump’s fellow fabulists.”

This ultimatum follows the news that some White House staff are worried about securing their next job, according to Politico.

Administration officials told the media outlet that they fear Wednesday’s events will damage their reputations, finances, and future careers.

Lower-level Trump staffers are also “trying to save face for future employment,” a source told Politico.

In recent days, several high-profile Trump officials have resigned to distance themselves from the president.

On Thursday, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos resigned as did Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and former White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

On Wednesday, Melania Trump’s chief of staff, Stephanie Grisham, Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Matthews, and Deputy National Security Adviser Matthew Pottinger all resigned.

Read the original article on Business Insider