- You can make Google your homepage in every major web browser on both Mac and PC.
- To make Google your homepage, open your browser’s Settings or Preferences menu.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you’re like most people, you probably find yourself Googling every question that comes to your mind: What’s the best recipe for lasagna? What does it mean if I wake up with a headache? Why does my dog keep staring into space and barking?
Google provides immediate answers to your weirdest queries, so it’s handy to have the search engine set as your homepage. Regardless of the web browser you’re using, making Google your homepage is a quick and simple process that will mean every time you launch your browser, you’ll immediately open Google.com.
Here’s how to do it in Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox.
How to make Google your homepage in Google Chrome
A version of Google Chrome will be set as your homepage by default when you install Google Chrome, but you’ll still need to take a few steps to get the full website.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. In the drop-down menu, click “Settings.”
3. On the Settings page, scroll down to the “Appearance” section and look for the “Show home button” section. Ensure that this option is turned on.
4. Once the “Show home button” option is enabled, you’ll see a blank box below which says “Enter custom web address.” In the box, enter the Google homepage URL, “https://www.google.com.”
Close the Settings tab and voila! Google is now your homepage. Just click the home button in the top-left (it looks like a house) to get there.
How to make Google your homepage in Safari
1. In Safari, open the Preferences menu. If you’re on a PC, you’ll have to click the gear icon in the top-right corner of your browser, then click “Preferences;” on a Mac, click “Safari” in the menu bar in the top-left, then click “Preferences.”
2. Under the “General” tab, look for the section marked “Homepage” with a URL listed next to it.
3. Remove the URL currently in the Homepage bar and replace it with “https://www.google.com.” Additionally, you can use the drop-down menus above this to change which page loads when you open a new tab or window.
4. Close the Preferences menu, which will launch an additional message asking you to confirm that you want to change your homepage. Click “Change homepage” to confirm, and you’re all set.
How to make Google your homepage in Microsoft Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge and click the three horizontal dots icon in the top-right corner of the Edge screen.
2. Click the “Settings” option at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
3. After opening the Settings menu, click “Appearance” in the left sidebar.
4. Under “Customize toolbar,” enable “Show home button” by clicking the switch next to it.
5. Under this you’ll see two options: “New tab page” or a blank text field. Double-click the text field and type “https://www.google.com” into it, then click “Save.”
Now, when you click the house icon in the top toolbar, you’ll be brought to Google.
How to make Google your homepage in Firefox
1. Open Firefox and click the three stacked lines in the top-right corner of the screen, then select “Preferences.”
2. In the left sidebar, click “Home.” This will open a page where you can set a new homepage.
3. Click on the box next to “Homepage and new windows” to reveal a dropdown menu. Scroll down and click on “Custom URLs.”
4. In the box that appears beneath “Custom URLs,” enter “https://www.google.com.”
You can then close out this tab and proceed as normal – Google is now your Firefox homepage.