Snap’s stock fell almost 22% to $58.75 at the market open Friday, after the social media company said changes to Apple’s privacy tracking settings had hit its digital advertising business.
The Snapchat parent also cited the global supply-chain crisis and the labor shortage as negative factors for the future in its third-quarter earnings.
Snap was last trading more than 23% lower at $57.86 per share, on track for its biggest one-day fall since its market debut.
The company reported over $1 billion in revenue in the third quarter, but posted a $72 million net loss, according to its earnings report. Evan Spiegel, Snap chief executive, said the company missed the lower end of its guidance by $3 million in an earnings call on Thursday. He cited two factors that weighed on its bottom line.
“We missed the lower end of our guidance by $3 million due to a few key factors, including changes to advertising tracking on iOS and macro-economic factors that have impacted our advertising partners,” Spiegel said.
Changes were made to Apple’s iOS ad tracking that were broadly rolled out in June and July, Spiegel said. Apple started requiring all its apps to get permission from its users first to be tracked for ads, but device users only allowed this 25% of the time, according to Bloomberg.
“While we anticipated some degree of business disruption, the new Apple provided measurement solution to not scale as we had expected, making it more difficult for our advertising partners to measure and manage their ad campaigns for iOS,” Spiegel continued.
The impact of the pandemic on the global supply chain and labor supply affected Snap’s ability to generate additional customer demand, Spiegel said.
“At a time when their businesses are already supply constrained, the ongoing magnitude and duration of these global supply and labour disruptions are inherently unpredictable, and in the meantime we are focused on supporting our partners in this uncertain environment,” Spiegel said.
Snap’s downbeat outlook affected stock in other technology companies. Google parent Alphabet fell 2%, while Facebook dropped 5%.
In an exciting announcement on Wednesday, the FDA authorized booster shots for Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine to people at high risk for severe disease and older adults. People in these categories can get booster shots 6 months after their second Moderna shot.
At the same time, the FDA authorized a second dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine for anyone who got a single dose of the vaccine at least 2 months ago. Andrew and I covered the big news.
When a meeting would be too much, but an email chain would be too disorganized, a form can work wonders. If you use Google Drive, you can use Google Forms to create and send forms to your friends and colleagues. With Google Forms, you can collect all answers all in one place. You can even embed the form directly into your email.
Here’s what you need to know about making and using Google Forms.
How to create a Google Form
There are a few ways you can make a Google Form: via the Forms website, from your Google Drive, via Google Sheets, or on your mobile device.
If you need to update your form, you have several options. For example, you can make changes to the questions, add images or videos, add titles or sections, and change the form settings.
Add and edit questions:
1. Open your form.
2. To edit a question, click into it to open the editing options and make the desired changes.
3. To add a question, click the plus + sign in the menu on the right side of the form, then select the type of question you want to add and create the new question.
Add images and videos:
1. Open your form. Select that question or section you want to add the media to.
2. To add an image, click the image icon in the menu on the right side of the screen, then choose your image and click Select.
3. To add a video, click the video icon in the menu on the right side of the screen, then choose your video and hit Select.
Add titles and sections:
1. Go into your form.
2. To add a title, click the Title“Tt” button in the menu on the right side of the form.
3. To add a section, choose Add Section in the sidebar.
Change form settings:
You can click Settings at the top of the form to further customize your form. Here are a few options included within the settings section:
Collect email addresses from those who will out your form.
Choose whether or not to give respondents the option to get a copy of their responses (or send it automatically).
Give people the option to edit their responses after submitting.
Add a progress bar.
Change the confirmation message.
When you click Send in the top-right corner of the form, you will also have the option to add the following settings:
Subject line (if you don’t like the form-title default)
Message (again, if you don’t like the default option)
Form in email (you can have the message link out or include it within the email)
How to share a Google Form
1. Go into your form.
2. Click Send.
3. You’ll then have the option to add collaborators, get the form link and HTML embed code, and share it via Twitter or Facebook.
How to view and save form responses
Once you’ve sent your form, you can view responses by going into the form and clicking Responses in the top toolbar. From there, you’ll be able to see a summary of all responses, as well as answers to specific questions and answers by each responder.
As you browse on the web, cache and cookies get stored on your computer. It’s unavoidable, and much of it is to improve your browsing experience.
Cookies are files created by browsers (like Google Chrome) and stored on your computer when a website requests them. Cookies store information like what’s in your shopping cart and authentication information. A cache, on the other hand, stores images and text from websites you visit so that the page loads faster if you visit the same page again.
Over time, cache and cookies can accumulate and slow down your browser. Therefore, it’s a good idea to clear them every once in a while to ensure your browser continues running smoothly.
How to clear cache on Google Chrome
Clearing your cache on Google Chrome can be done on both desktop and mobile in just a few steps.
1. Open Google Chrome. Click the More icon (it looks like three dots) at the top-right of the screen.
2. In the drop-down menu, click More Tools, then Clear Browsing Data.
3. In the pop-up menu, choose a time range. Options range from the last hour to all time.
4. Make sure the boxes next to Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files are checked.
5. Click Clear data.
1. Open the Google Chrome app for iPhone, iPad, or Android. Tap the More icon (it looks like three dots) at the top-right of the screen for Android devices, and bottom-right of the screen for Apple devices.
2. Tap History, then Clear Browsing Data.
3. Choose a time range. Options range from the last hour to all time.
4. Make sure the boxes for Cookies and site data and Cached images and files are checked.
5. Tap Clear data on Android devices, or Clear Browsing Data on Apple devices.
Why you should clear your Chrome cache
In general, clearing your cache in Google Chrome should lead to a faster, more efficient browsing experience -particularly if you notice that pages are loading slower than usual or websites aren’t displaying the most up-to-date information.
It can also fix formatting issues on websites. In clearing your cache, you’ll ensure that when visiting websites, Chrome will save the most current files. Additionally, regularly clearing your Chrome cache can help keep your browsing data private.
Anyone who has had to write an English paper has heard of MLA format. MLA – short for Modern Library Association – is a standardized method for writing academic papers. It lays down specific rules for what the page should look like, which font you use, how you cite your sources, and more.
If you’re writing a paper in MLA format, consider using Google Docs. It lets you customize your documents in dozens of ways, making it a great choice for MLA writing.
Here’s how to set up MLA format in Google Docs, either manually or with a template.
How to set up MLA format in Google Docs
MLA format has a variety of different rules and guidelines. Here are the most important ones, along with tips on how to follow those rules in Google Docs.
The font needs to be size 12, and written in a “readable” font.
Contrary to popular belief, MLA doesn’t require you to use Times New Roman, just a “readable” or “legible” font. That said, Times New Roman is a great choice for this, and comes installed in Google Docs by default.
You can find it in the font menu at the top of the screen, and you can change the font size with the menu next to it.
Every page needs to have one-inch margins on all sides.
You probably don’t need to worry about this one – new Google Docs documents have one-inch margins by default.
The paper’s title should be centered one line above your first paragraph.
Google Docs has four alignment options, which you can find in the toolbar above your document. Click the second option – Center align – to move your cursor to the center of the screen.
Your full name, your instructor’s name, the name of the class, and the current date should be written in the top-left corner of the first page, each on a separate line.
Left align is the default alignment setting, so you shouldn’t have to do anything special to write in the top-left. But if you’ve changed the alignment, you can change it back using the alignment options in the toolbar.
Body paragraphs all begin with a half-inch indent.
Google Docs has a feature that lets you automatically indent paragraphs – but it’s probably easier to just hit the Tab key on your keyboard at the start of every paragraph.
Your paper should end with a Works Cited page, and each entry should be written with a hanging indent.
Once you’ve finished writing your paper and want to move onto the Works Cited, make sure to create a new page. The Works Cited needs to be on its own page (or pages, depending on the length).
The words Works Cited should be centered on the very first line of the page. You can center the words using the alignment options mentioned above.
It’s a good idea to add your most common contacts to your Gmail account – not only is it easier to send them emails, but their messages are automatically “whitelisted,” meaning they’ll never be sent to Gmail’s spam folder by mistake.
You can also use contacts to store additional information about people you care about, like phone numbers, birthdays, and other personal information. And anyone you add to your contacts is immediately available on all your devices where you use Gmail, including your computer, phone, and tablet.
Here’s an overview of all the most important ways to use contacts in Gmail, including how to add, edit, and delete them.
2. Click the Google apps button (it’s shaped like a grid) at the top-right, next to your account icon.
3. Click Contacts.
4. Contacts will now launch, and you can use it to add, find, edit, and manage your contacts.
The first time you look for the Contacts app, you might need to scroll down to find it. By default, the Contacts app is stored in the seventh row. If you use Contacts frequently, you might want to click and drag it closer to the top of the list.
How to add new contacts in Gmail
If you get an email from someone whom you’d like to add as a contact, Gmail lets you do that with just a few clicks.
1. Open Gmail on your Mac or PC in a web browser and click the email message from the recipient you want to add to your contacts list.
2. Hover your cursor over the contact’s name. You can do this either in the message list or the reading pane.
3. In the pop-up contact details, click the Add to contacts button to the right of the person’s name.
After a moment, the Add to contacts icon turns into a pencil-shaped Edit contacts button, which you can use to add details to or otherwise change the contact entry.
How to add new contacts in Google Contacts
You don’t have to add contacts from Gmail; if you’re using a web browser or an Android device, you can use the Contacts app to add contacts manually. (There is no Contacts app for iOS.)
2. Click the Google apps button at the top-right, next to your account icon.
3. Click Contacts.
4. At the top-left of the screen, click Create contact, then click Create acontact.
5. Enter the details for this contact. At a minimum, you’ll want to type the name and email address, though you can add phone numbers, notes, mailing address, and other details. (Click Show more to see additional options.)
6. When you’re done, click Save.
If you have several contacts to add at once, there’s another technique you can use: You can add names or email addresses as a batch and then edit each entry with any additional information you like.
1. In Gmail Contacts on desktop, click Create contact, then click Create multiple contacts.
2. In the Create Multiple Contacts window, enter names or email addresses separated by commas.
3. When you’re done, press Tab and then click Create.
If you entered just the name, Contacts will create a mostly empty contact with just the name; if you entered an email address, Contacts will create an entry with the email address in both the name and email fields. You can now find and edit those entries as needed.
The Gmail Contacts app is only available on Android, not on iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap the plus + sign at the bottom-right of the screen.
3. Enter the details for this contact. At a minimum, you’ll want to type the name and email address, though you can add phone numbers, notes, mailing address, and other details. (Tap More fields to see additional options.)
4. When you’re done, tap Save at the top of the screen.
How to edit Gmail contacts
One of the chief advantages of keeping your most important contacts in Google’s contacts list is that they’re easy to edit and keep up to date. Plus, you can store personal information so birthdays and addresses are always easily accessible. Here’s how to edit a contact:
1. Open Gmail Contacts on your desktop using the steps explained earlier in this article, or you can go directly to contacts.google.com in your browser.
2. Find the contact you want to edit. You can search for it using the Search field at the top of the page or browse the list below.
3. When you find the contact, there are two ways to start editing:
Hover over a contact and then click the pencil-shaped Edit contact icon that appears on the right side of the screen.
Click the contact and, on the contact’s details page, click Edit.
4. Make any changes you want to the contact’s information. You can add or revise personal details – to see all your options, click Show more.
5. To add a label to your contact, click the Label button at the top of the page and choose the labels to add (or create new ones). You can use these labels to easily send a group email to everyone with the same label.
6. When you’re done, click Save.
How to delete Gmail contacts
It only takes a moment to delete contacts from Gmail, as long as you know where to look. To start, open the Contacts app on your desktop using the steps explained earlier in this article, or you can go directly to contacts.google.com in your browser. There are two ways to delete contacts:
If you only want to delete a single contact, hover the mouse pointer over the contact and then click the three-dot icon at the far right side of the screen. In the drop-down menu, click Delete and then confirm the deletion by clicking Delete again.
If you want to delete multiple contacts at once, hover your cursor over the contact and then click the checkbox on the left side of the screen. Check all the contacts you want to delete. Then click the three-dot icon at the top of the screen and choose Delete. Confirm the deletion by clicking Delete again.
The technique to delete contacts on an Android device is similar. In the Contacts app, tap and hold the contacts you want to delete until you see a check mark indicating that they’re selected, then tap the Trash icon at the top of the screen.
If you have an iPhone, you need to delete contacts in a browser.
There are millions of individual businesses, roads, and points of interest available on Google Maps. But with all these spots highlighted on the map, it can be easy to lose track of the most important location: your house.
That’s why Google Maps lets you save a Home location to your account. Your Home will always appear on the map, no matter how zoomed out you are. And when you tap the search bar or start looking for directions, Home will always appear as one of the first suggestions.
Here’s how to set or change your Home on Google Maps, using the mobile app and website.
How to set or change your Home on Google Maps
In the mobile app
1. In the Google Maps iPhone or Android app, tap Saved at the bottom-center of the screen.
2. In the menu that appears, tap Labeled. A screen will appear with at least two options: Home and Work.
3. Tap Home to set it, or if you’ve already got a Home location, tap the three dots next to it and then Edit home.
4. The search bar will appear. Use it to find a new location, tap Choose on map to drop a pin directly onto the map, or (if available) tap Choose from Contacts to select a location you have saved in your contacts.
On the website
1. Find the location you want to set as your Home address on the map. You can search for it or just click it.
2. In the information panel that opens, scroll down and click Add a label.
3. A text field will appear. Type Home, and then click Home | Set your home address under the text field.
From live traffic reports to high-quality satellite images, Google Maps has dozens of features that change and update regularly.
But updating every map every day would take trillions of dollars by itself – this means that while some users will notice new updates often, other users might have to wait years for new content.
Insider reached out to Google to ask how often they update five major Google Maps features: Street View, satellite images, street names and routes, business names and information, and traffic and road closures.
Here’s everything to know about how often Google updates, including what it might mean if you’re not seeing updates near you.
How often does Google Maps update?
There’s one general rule to Google Maps’ updates: Places where more people live get updated more often. In a Maps 101 blog, Google Maps’ Technical Program Manager Matt Manolides says that “Overall [their] goal is to keep densely populated places refreshed on a regular basis.”
In other words, while New York City might receive updates every week, the deep forests of northern Maine might go years without.
But as we’ll go over below, individual users have a surprising amount of influence over the maps in their area.
Street View – the feature that lets you see actual on-the-ground photos of nearly any location in the US and beyond – is possibly Google Maps’ most famous feature. According to Google, it’s also one of the most difficult features to keep up-to-date.
In general, Google tries to take new Street View photos in major cities once every year. Less populated areas can probably expect new photos every three years or so – but don’t be surprised if it takes even longer.
Just be aware that the dates they give are broad estimates – don’t expect an exact day and time. And even if Google takes new photos of your town, they might not use them if the old ones are still accurate.
Although it’s not active by default, you can set Google Maps to show you real overhead imagery of any location on Earth.
These pictures are taken by both satellites and airplanes flying overhead, and are then “stitched together” to make maps. This process takes a massive amount of time and work from humans and machines alike.
And of course, Google doesn’t update the entire world in one go. They generally release new satellite data every month, adding whichever images they have ready to go.
Occasionally, Google will release new satellite imagery ahead of schedule to mark special occasions. For example, they uploaded new photos of London right at the start of the London 2012 Summer Olympics that showed off the new arenas.
Since the majority of Google’s overhead images come from third-party sources – “state agencies, geological survey organizations, and commercial imagery providers,” as Google communications director Peter Schottenfels wrote in a recent blog – there’s no exact schedule for when the updates go live.
Street names and routes
Google Maps is built to show you all the streets nearby and give accurate directions from one place to another. But with thousands of cities across the world and even more roads, making sure everything stays up-to-date is a big job.
Google receives data about streets and roads from a variety of sources. These are mostly government agencies like the United States Geological Survey. But they also accept data from local governments, housing developers, and more. When they visit cities to take pictures, the Street View team also makes note of when real life doesn’t match what they have on the map.
This means there’s not an easy way to predict when streets and roads will be updated. If these third-party agencies are on top of things, new roads and street names should appear quickly. But it’s largely up to them to report the changes to Google.
If you find that a street doesn’t match what Google Maps is showing – maybe it’s got the wrong name, or doesn’t have the right shape – you can report it to Google yourself. On the website, you can use the Edit the map feature to report misdrawn, misnamed, or even missing roads. You can also right-click the offending road and select Report a data problem.
When you open Google Maps, chances are you’ll immediately see the names of dozens of nearby businesses. Select one of them, and you’ll probably see what it sells, its hours of operation, and reviews.
Unlike other pieces of data, Google rarely updates this information themselves. Instead, they rely on the businesses to upload their own information. If you’re the owner of a new business or location, you should sign up for a Google Business account and give them your information to put on the map.
But like with street names and routes, any user can report an error. When you find a business with the wrong information, click or tap the Suggest an edit button to submit the right info. Google will review it and update the map if you’re right.
Once an error is reported, Google usually corrects it within a week.
This all updates in real-time, faster than any other feature. And to do this, Google collects data from a wealth of different sources.
Whenever you have Google Maps (or Waze, another Google navigation app) open, unless you’ve specifically disabled the feature, you’re sending anonymous location data to Google. The more people with Google Maps open in one place, the busier Google knows it is.
This is also how they calculate traffic: If a hundred phones with Google Maps open are traveling 60 miles per hour and then suddenly stop all at once, Google knows there’s a traffic jam.
And once enough data is collected, Google can use machine learning to predict patterns. For example, Google doesn’t need new data to tell you that the Brooklyn Bridge gets crammed with traffic at rush hour – it’s happened thousands of times before, so they can predict it’ll happen again.
Users contribute information actively, too. If you’ve ridden the New York City subway enough, you’re probably used to Google Maps asking you how crowded it is – they do this so they can report the info to other users.
Local governments generally report long-term road closures to Google themselves. But Google also learns from user reports, either on Google Maps or Waze.
If you’re in a high-population area, you should expect Google’s real-time traffic stats to be incredibly accurate.
The policy will affect advertisers, publishers, and YouTube creators.
Google is pulling the plug on climate deniers on its platform, banning content that contradicts well-established research from the scientific community, the company announced on Thursday.
The tech giant is taking a two-pronged approach, applying to advertisers and publishing partners in Google-served ads that try to promote climate change misinformation on pages and videos, as well YouTube Partner Program creators who try to monetize their climate change misinformation videos, according to a company blog post.
The new rule specifically targets claims that climate change is a “hoax or a scam”, claims that deny long-term environmental trends, and claims ignoring significant factors to climate change, like greenhouse gas emissions or humanity’s contributions to climate change. Google will continue to allow ads and monetization on climate-related topics, such as informed debates on climate change and verifiable research.
“We’ll look carefully at the context in which claims are made, differentiating between content that states a false claim as fact, versus content that reports on or discusses that claim,” the company said in the statement.
Google Maps has become an essential part of any road trip. After all, it’s a GPS, business directory, and reviews platform all-in-one.
But if you spend some time with it, you can integrate Google Maps even more seamlessly into your next vacation. Google Maps has a variety of features you can use to plan your trip and save any interesting spots you find on the way.
Here’s how to make Google Maps your trip planner, using the Places feature, My Map, and more.
How to use Google Maps as a trip planner
Use the ‘Places’ feature to save points of interest
Let’s say you’re traveling, and happen to stumble upon the cutest coffee shop you’ve ever seen. You want to visit, but don’t have time right now – what’s the best way to remember it?
Google Maps’ Places feature can help you out. Both the Google Maps website and app let you save any location on the map to a list, which you can then easily find later.
1. Open Google Maps and click, tap, or search for the location that you want to save.
2. Find the Save icon, which has the icon of a bookmark. You’ll find it right under the location’s name, but you might need to swipe to find it in the mobile app.
3. Pick where you want to save the location to. You’ve got three lists to start with – Favorites, Starred places, and Want to go – but you can make a new one by tapping New list.
4. Once you’ve saved the location, you can find it again by opening the list. In the mobile app, tap Saved at the bottom of the screen; on the website, click the three stacked lines in the top-left and then Your places.
Tap on a location in your list to have the map jump straight to it.
Look at Google Reviews to find the best shops
Nearly every point of interest on Google Maps has a section for user reviews. Similar to sites like Yelp, these reviews can be a great way to see which stops are must-sees and which you can pass.
To check out reviews:
1. Open Google Maps and find the location that you’re interested in.
2. At the top of its information page should be a star rating and a number, showing how many people have left reviews.
3. Scroll down until you hit the Reviews section, and you’ll find reviews from other users who’ve visited the location. They’ll include a star rating, a date, and occasionally a picture.
2. You’ll be given a world map. In the menu in the top-left, click the Untitled map name to give your map a name.
3. Use the search bar at the top of the page to find any location, then click Add to map to save it. You can add as many points of interest as you like.
4. You can also save multiple separate lists of locations to the same map; just click Add layer in the top-left menu.
5. To save directions between multiple locations, click the Add directions icon that looks like a curved arrow. It’ll add a new layer that you can use to plot a path.
6. When you’re done, click Share or Preview in the top-left window.
Add multiple stops to one trip
Driving from one city to another is simple. But if you want to make stops along the way – lunch, the beach, a mall – things get complicated.
Luckily, you don’t need to start a new Google Maps route for every stop. You can create one navigation route that includes every stop from the start, giving you a clear way to see how long it’ll all take.
1. Open the Google Maps app and start navigating to another location.
2. On the screen that lets you pick your starting and ending location, tap the three dot icon.
3. Select Add stop.
4. A third waypoint – labeled “B” – will appear. Tap it to choose your second destination, or drag it to reorder the waypoints.
On a computer
1. On the Google Maps app website, find a location and start getting directions to it.
2. Underneath the menu that lets you pick your starting and ending location, click Add destination.
3. A new field will appear. Enter your third waypoint.
4. Once you pick a new waypoint, you’ll be able to click Add destination again and pick another one, as well as reorder them.
You can add up to nine destinations on both the website and mobile app.