Incognito mode – also known as “private browsing mode” – is a sneakier way to use the internet.
When you browse the internet with incognito mode on, you won’t leave any trace on the device you’re using. Your browser won’t save your browsing or search engine history, and won’t remember what sites you’ve logged into – or even what your username and password is.
It’s great if you share your computer or phone with other people, since no one else will be able to see what you’ve done once you close the window.
Nonetheless, incognito mode is great for enforcing privacy on a busy or shared device. Here’s how to turn on incognito mode on your computer or phone.
How to activate incognito mode or private browsing on your Mac or PC
Incognito mode is a feature in every major browser, although each browser tends to give it a different name. When you activate a private session, a new window will open – this is your incognito window.
When you’re done, just close the window to exit incognito mode.
How to activate incognito mode or private browsing on your phone or tablet
The browser on your phone also comes with private browsing options. We’ll explain how to activate it using the default browsers for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.
If you tend to keep a lot of tabs open in your Chrome browser, you know the challenges of working with many websites at once: your tab bar is cluttered and it’s often hard to find a page you know is open – somewhere – in your browser. Organizing your tabs into groups can streamline your browsing experience and make web pages easier to find and organize.
How to group tabs in Google Chrome
1. Right-click any tab in Chrome. In the dropdown menu, click “Add tab to new group.”
2. A new group will appear. Type a name for the group and select a color.
3. There are several ways to add new tabs to the group. Use whichever method is most convenient:
Click an existing tab and drag it into the group – you’ll know it’s in the group when it is outlined in the same color as the group you’ve created.
Right-click the tab group name and choose “New tab in group.”
Right-click any tab in the current group and click “New tab to the right.”
After you create your first tab, if you right-click a new tab, you will have the option to add it to the existing group or to make a new group. There are only eight colors to choose from, but there’s no practical limit to how many tab groups you can create in Chrome.
Once your group is created, you can minimize the group and move it around to better organize your web pages.
To minimize the tabs, click the group title. All the tabs will “collapse” under the group title. This is a handy way to get a lot of related tabs out of the way while you are browsing.
To move a group of tabs around, click the group title and drag it to the left or right – all the tabs will move with it. You can do this when the group is minimized or expanded.
How to remove a tab from a group
If you want to remove a tab from a group, just click and drag the tab to the left or right. It’s out of the group when you see the colored outline disappear from the selected group.
How to delete a group
If you want to close all the tabs in a group at once, right-click the group title and choose “Close group.” All the tabs will close right away.
If you simply want to eliminate the group title but keep the tabs open, right-click and choose “Ungroup.”
Between email, social media, news sites, and work resources, it’s easy for your internet browser to become cluttered with open tabs. These can cause you to lose track of what’s most important on your screen.
For those who frequently have several tabs open at once, Google Chrome has added new in-browser features that make it easier to switch between tabs efficiently and search open tabs to find the one you need.
The ability to search and switch between your open tabs on Chrome, introduced with its Version 87 update, eliminates the frustrating guesswork of multitasking, supercharging your ability to navigate your tab clutter.
If your Chromebook or Chrome browser doesn’t have the latest version – or you don’t think these features haven’t been rolled out to you yet – you’ll need to activate these tools through the browser’s “Experimental Features” menu before you can use them.
Here’s how to search and switch your tabs on Google Chrome.
How to enable tab switch on Google Chrome
1. In the Chrome URL bar, type chrome://flags/#omnibox-tab-switch-suggestions
2. Click enter.
3. You’ll be taken to the Chrome Browser’s Experimental Features menu and a highlighted box that says, “Omnibox switch to tab suggestions.”
4. Click the drop-down box to the right of the feature and set it to “Enabled.”
5. Relaunch your browser for the changes to take effect.
How to switch tabs on Google Chrome
1. Open a Google Chrome browser window.
2. With multiple tabs open, type a title or keyword in the URL box of any existing or new tab.
3. In the drop-down suggestions, select the tab you want to switch to by clicking the “Switch to this tab” button that appears.
How to enable tab search on Google Chrome
1. In the Chrome URL bar, type chrome://flags/#enable-tab-search
2. Click enter.
3. You’ll be taken to the Chrome Browser’s Experimental Features menu and a highlighted box that says “Enable Tab Search.”
4. Click the drop-down box to the right of “Enable Tab Search” and set it to “Enabled.”
5. Relaunch your browser for the changes to take effect.
How to search tabs on Google Chrome
1. Launch a Google Chrome session.
2. With multiple tabs open, click the down arrow in the window’s top right corner.
3. In the drop-down that appears, select either a listed tab or use the search bar to find an open tab using keywords.
Stadia, Google’s new cloud-based gaming platform, was built to be “platform-agnostic.” In other words, you can play Stadia on dozens of different devices, and have largely the same experience on each one.
That said, for many newcomers to the platform, it isn’t immediately clear just which platforms can run Stadia. So aside from a solid internet connection – a must-have for any streaming setup – how can you play Stadia?
In short, Stadia is available on most popular Android phones, new iPhones and iPads, any computer with Google Chrome, and TVs with a Chromecast Ultra plugged in. And if you’re using a phone or computer, you probably won’t even need a new game controller.
Here’s a guide to the hardware you’ll need to play Stadia, so you can get started streaming your favorite games right away.
How to play Stadia on an Android phone
Stadia supports most Google Pixel phones, all new Samsung S phones, most OnePlus phones, and more. On most modern Android devices – 6.0 and later – you’ll simply need to download the Stadia app to get started playing.
Like all platforms, you won’t need to download any games from Stadia – they’re streamed to you over the internet – so don’t worry about deleting photos to make room for it.
All Stadia games played on Android support touchscreen controls, but you can also use a real gamepad, as we’ll outline in a bit.
How to play Stadia on an iPhone or iPad
Although there is a Stadia app for iPhones, you can’t actually play Stadia games through it – you can only sign up for Stadia and set up your controller. This is due to a long-running rivalry between Google and Apple.
Instead, if you want to play Stadia on your iPhone or iPad, you’ll need to play through an internet browser. Here, we’ll use Safari, the default internet app that comes installed on every Apple device.
Just note that you’ll have to be running at least iOS 14.3 or iPadOS 14.3. Any version older than that can’t support Stadia.
1. Launch Safari on your iPhone or iPad and head to the Stadia website. Once there, sign into your Stadia account or tap “Try now” to create a new one.
2. After you log in, a pop-up will appear telling you that you can play in your browser, but warning you that the iOS version of Stadia is in beta. Tap “Got It,” and you’ll be shown your games.
3. Tap the red play button under any game’s picture to start playing it, or tap “Store” at the top to browse for new games.
And although you can’t play from the official Stadia app, you can add the Stadia website to your iPhone’s homescreen as a shortcut that looks just like any other app. To do this, scroll up, and then tap the sharing icon in the middle of the toolbar at the bottom of Safari. When a menu of options appears, tap “Add to Home Screen.”
How to play Stadia on a computer
Stadia can be run through Google Chrome on Mac, PC, and Linux computers.
Once you’ve signed in, you can start playing games directly from your browser. Just note that Stadia requires most games to be played in fullscreen mode, and for some, will need access to your computer’s microphone.
You can connect a controller from within your browser by clicking the controller icon in the top-right, selecting which controller you want to use, and then following the directions.
How to play Stadia on a TV with a Chromecast Ultra
If you’re a gamer who loves to use the biggest screen in your house, this setup is the one for you.
To play Stadia on your TV, you’ll need the following: A TV with an HDMI port, a Google Chromecast Ultra device, and a Stadia Controller.
Once you’ve done that, press the Stadia logo on your controller to put it into Linking Mode.
A code should appear on your TV screen – it’ll look like a random combination of buttons on your controller.
Enter the code on your Stadia Controller and wait for your Chromecast to detect your controller. If the link is successful, Stadia will launch on your TV. If it’s unsuccessful, you’ll have to enter the code again.
If you don’t see a linking code appear on your TV, this might mean that your Chromecast isn’t set to “Ambient Mode.” To fix this:
1. Open the Google Home app on your smartphone and tap the icon for your Chromecast Ultra.
2. In the top-right corner, tap “Settings.” It may also look like a gear icon.
3. Under “Device Info,” tap “Ambient Mode.”
4. A new screen will appear. Scroll down until you find “Stadia Controller linking code” – click “Show” underneath it. The linking code will appear on your TV.
If you’re having issues connecting your Chromecast to Wi-Fi, the Google Home app can help with that too. If the controller won’t connect to Wi-Fi, you’ll need to use the Stadia app.