Bitmoji allows users to create and share personalized avatars, which can be used in messaging apps, email, social media, and more. Users can customize their Bitmoji in a thousands of ways to make it look like them or someone completely different.
The Bitmoji Chrome extension brings the user-created avatars from your phone to your computer. With it, you can access all your Bitmoji stickers and then paste them into emails, social media posts, blogs – any text field that allows images.
Here’s how to download and use the Google Chrome Bitmoji extension.
3. Click “Add extension.” You’ll be brought to page where you need to log in with your Snapchat or Bitmoji account.
Once added, the Bitmoji icon will appear next to your other extensions in the top toolbar. If you don’t see it, try clicking the puzzle piece icon.
Now, to use the extension:
1. Click the Bitmoji icon in your top toolbar. It’ll load, and you’ll be shown a variety of different Bitmoji pictures.
2. When you find the Bitmoji picture you want to use, right-click it and then select Copy Image.
3. Find someplace you can paste images – in an email, or when writing a tweet – and paste the image in. You can do this by right-clicking and selecting Paste, or by pressing the keyboard command for paste – Ctrl + V on a PC, or Command + V on a Mac.
Like most web browsers, Google Chrome lets you “bookmark” pages so you can easily find them again later. And if you have Chrome linked to your Google account, you can access those bookmarks on any device also running Chrome.
But if you need to move your bookmarks to another browser – or onto a device where you can’t log into your Google account – Chrome offers an easy way to save, export, and import your bookmarks.
How to export your Chrome bookmarks
If you want to save your bookmarks to make them transferable and accessible later, Google Chrome lets you put them into an HTML document.
1. Open Chrome. In the top-right corner next to the address bar, click the three vertical dots (…).
2. Hover your mouse over Bookmarks, revealing another drop-down list. Click Bookmark Manager, which will open another browser tab with your bookmark list.
3. Click the vertical three dots (…) in the top-right corner.
4. Click Export bookmarks.
5. A floating window will appear, asking where you want to save the HTML file. Edit the file’s name and save it somewhere you can find it.
How to import your Chrome bookmarks
Importing bookmarks into Chrome or another browser is easy too.
Importing bookmarks into Chrome
1. Open Chrome. In the top-right corner, click the three vertical dots (…).
2. Hover your mouse over Bookmarks, revealing another drop-down list. Click Import Bookmarks and Settings.
4. Another browser tab with your bookmark list will open. Choose Bookmarks HTML File from the drop-down list.
5. Click Choose File to find and select a file saved on your computer.
6. Click Open and all your bookmarks will be imported.
Importing bookmarks into Microsoft Edge
In Microsoft Edge, bookmarks are called Favorites. But they work the same way.
1. Open Edge and click the three dots in the top-right corner, and then Favorites.
2. In the pop-up that opens, click the three dots at the top and then Import Favorites.
3. A menu will appear asking where you want to import the favorites from. Select Favorites or Bookmarks HTML File from the drop-down menu, then Choose File to pick the HTML file from your computer.
Mac computers come with Apple’s Safari web browser pre-set as the default browser. This means that Safari will open automatically when you click certain links, even if you don’t want it to.
While Safari is a fast web browser and works well for most web needs, there are drawbacks to using it. One of these drawbacks is that for some websites, other browsers can be faster – for example, Google Apps work better in Google’s own browser, Chrome. Other websites might not work with Safari at all.
You can change your Mac’s default web browser through System Preferences or through the browser itself – here’s how to do both.
How to change the default browser on Mac from System Preferences
1. Open System Preferences by clicking the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen and selecting SystemPreferences in the drop-down.
2. In System Preferences, click General in the top-left corner.
3. On the General page, click the drop-down next to Default Web Browser.
4. All web browsers downloaded on your computer will appear in the drop-down list. Choose one to set it as your default. Now, whenever you click on a link to open it, it will automatically appear in your chosen browser.
How to change your default browser on Mac from the browser’s settings
There are dozens of different web browsers you could be using, and the exact method for setting them as your default browser is slightly different for each. Here, we’ll use Google Chrome as an example.
1. Open Chrome.
2. In the toolbar at the very top of your screen, click Chrome and select Preferences in the drop-down.
3. Scroll down to the Defaultbrowser section and click Make default.
4. A window will pop up asking if you want to Keep [browser] as your default or UseChrome. Choose Use Chrome.
QR codes – or “Quick Response” codes – are square-shaped barcodes that can be scanned by mobile devices. They are used for a variety of applications, from pulling up a restaurant menu to directing people to a podcast.
QR codes can also be used in wedding invitations to direct guests to the wedding website, where they can RSVP and find information on the venue, hotel options, and the registry.
Creating a QR code is a relatively straightforward process, and it can be done on a computer or on your smartphone. Here’s how it’s done.
How to create a QR code with QR Code Generator
There are many QR code generators to choose from. Here’s a step-by-step guide using a website called QR Code Generator.
2. Enter the URL of the website you want the QR code to send people to. Alternatively, you can also enter text or upload a file (perhaps to a flyer you designed or to a restaurant menu).
3. Optional: You can also select a frame, change the shape and color, or add a logo to customize your QR code.
4. When you’re finished, click Download to save your custom QR code.
5. After you hit Download, a pop-up will appear asking you to create a free account, but you don’t have to create an account. Just wait for the QR code to finish generating and it will appear in your downloads momentarily.
Even though Google is the most popular search engine, some web browsers still don’t automatically set it as the default. If you want to make sure all your web searches are done through Google, you can adjust your search settings no matter what browser you use.
2. On an iPhone or iPad, tap the icon of three horizontal dots at the bottom-right of the screen. On an Android, tap the icon of three vertical dots in the upper-right corner. Choose Settings in the pop-up.
3. Tap Search engine and select Google on the next screen. Your default search engine should now be changed.
How to make Google the default search engine in Firefox
On a computer:
1. Open your Firefox browser.
2. Click the icon of three horizontal lines at the top-right of the screen and then click Settings in the drop-down.
3. In the sidebar menu on the left, click the Search tab.
4. In the Default Search Engine section, click the drop-down and choose Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
2. On an iPhone or iPad, tap the icon of three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner. On an Android, tap the icon of three vertical dots in the bottom-right corner. Select Settings in the pop-up.
3. In the General section, tap Search.
4. Under Default Search Engine, select Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
How to make Google the default search engine in Safari
On a Mac:
1. Open the Safari browser.
2. Click in the search bar and then, in the left corner, click the magnifying glass.
3. In the drop-down, choose Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
On an iPhone or iPad:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Scroll down to Safari and tap it.
3. Tap Search Engine and select Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
How to make Google the default search engine in Microsoft Edge
On a computer:
1. Open the Microsoft Edge web browser.
2. Click the icon of three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the window and then choose Settings at the bottom of the pop-up.
3. In the sidebar menu on the left, click the Privacy, search, and services tab.
4. Scroll down and click Address bar and search at the bottom of the page.
5. Click the drop-down next to Search engine used in the address bar, and select Google. Your default search engine should now be changed.
If you’re like most people, you probably find yourself Googling every question that comes to your mind: What’s the best recipe for lasagna? What does it mean if I wake up with a headache? Why does my dog keep staring into space and barking?
Google provides immediate answers to your weirdest queries, so it’s handy to have the search engine set as your homepage. Regardless of the web browser you’re using, making Google your homepage is a quick and simple process that will mean every time you launch your browser, you’ll immediately open Google.com.
Here’s how to do it in Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox.
How to make Google your homepage in Google Chrome
A version of Google Chrome will be set as your homepage by default when you install Google Chrome, but you’ll still need to take a few steps to get the full website.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. In the drop-down menu, click “Settings.”
3. On the Settings page, scroll down to the “Appearance” section and look for the “Show home button” section. Ensure that this option is turned on.
4. Once the “Show home button” option is enabled, you’ll see a blank box below which says “Enter custom web address.” In the box, enter the Google homepage URL, “https://www.google.com.”
Close the Settings tab and voila! Google is now your homepage. Just click the home button in the top-left (it looks like a house) to get there.
How to make Google your homepage in Safari
1. In Safari, open the Preferences menu. If you’re on a PC, you’ll have to click the gear icon in the top-right corner of your browser, then click “Preferences;” on a Mac, click “Safari” in the menu bar in the top-left, then click “Preferences.”
2. Under the “General” tab, look for the section marked “Homepage” with a URL listed next to it.
3. Remove the URL currently in the Homepage bar and replace it with “https://www.google.com.” Additionally, you can use the drop-down menus above this to change which page loads when you open a new tab or window.
4. Close the Preferences menu, which will launch an additional message asking you to confirm that you want to change your homepage. Click “Change homepage” to confirm, and you’re all set.
How to make Google your homepage in Microsoft Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge and click the three horizontal dots icon in the top-right corner of the Edge screen.
2. Click the “Settings” option at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
3. After opening the Settings menu, click “Appearance” in the left sidebar.
4. Under “Customize toolbar,” enable “Show home button” by clicking the switch next to it.
5. Under this you’ll see two options: “New tab page” or a blank text field. Double-click the text field and type “https://www.google.com” into it, then click “Save.”
Now, when you click the house icon in the top toolbar, you’ll be brought to Google.
How to make Google your homepage in Firefox
1. Open Firefox and click the three stacked lines in the top-right corner of the screen, then select “Preferences.”
2. In the left sidebar, click “Home.” This will open a page where you can set a new homepage.
3. Click on the box next to “Homepage and new windows” to reveal a dropdown menu. Scroll down and click on “Custom URLs.”
Cookies are small text files used by websites to save information about you and your visit. If cookies are disabled in your Google Chrome app, web browsing is probably a bit harder for you than it needs to be.
Cookies can customize your browsing experience, helping sites keep you logged in, know who you are, and remember your preferences. They can also remember what’s in your cart on shopping sites and display articles you’re interested in on news sites.
If you or someone else has disabled cookies in your Google Chrome web browser on a computer or mobile device, you can enable them again with just a few clicks.
Google Chrome is one of the most popular web browsers because of its fast performance, stability, efficiency, and top-notch security. And if you use Gmail, Chrome makes the transition from checking your email to surfing the web seamless.
Unlike Chromebooks and Android phones – which use a Google operating system and feature Google Chrome as the default browser – most other devices don’t come equipped with Chrome. Therefore, you have to download and install it yourself. Here’s how to get started on Mac, PC, and iPhone.
Incognito mode – also known as “private browsing mode” – is a sneakier way to use the internet.
When you browse the internet with incognito mode on, you won’t leave any trace on the device you’re using. Your browser won’t save your browsing or search engine history, and won’t remember what sites you’ve logged into – or even what your username and password is.
It’s great if you share your computer or phone with other people, since no one else will be able to see what you’ve done once you close the window.
Nonetheless, incognito mode is great for enforcing privacy on a busy or shared device. Here’s how to turn on incognito mode on your computer or phone.
How to activate incognito mode or private browsing on your Mac or PC
Incognito mode is a feature in every major browser, although each browser tends to give it a different name. When you activate a private session, a new window will open – this is your incognito window.
When you’re done, just close the window to exit incognito mode.
How to activate incognito mode or private browsing on your phone or tablet
The browser on your phone also comes with private browsing options. We’ll explain how to activate it using the default browsers for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.
If you tend to keep a lot of tabs open in your Chrome browser, you know the challenges of working with many websites at once: your tab bar is cluttered and it’s often hard to find a page you know is open – somewhere – in your browser. Organizing your tabs into groups can streamline your browsing experience and make web pages easier to find and organize.
How to group tabs in Google Chrome
1. Right-click any tab in Chrome. In the dropdown menu, click “Add tab to new group.”
2. A new group will appear. Type a name for the group and select a color.
3. There are several ways to add new tabs to the group. Use whichever method is most convenient:
Click an existing tab and drag it into the group – you’ll know it’s in the group when it is outlined in the same color as the group you’ve created.
Right-click the tab group name and choose “New tab in group.”
Right-click any tab in the current group and click “New tab to the right.”
After you create your first tab, if you right-click a new tab, you will have the option to add it to the existing group or to make a new group. There are only eight colors to choose from, but there’s no practical limit to how many tab groups you can create in Chrome.
Once your group is created, you can minimize the group and move it around to better organize your web pages.
To minimize the tabs, click the group title. All the tabs will “collapse” under the group title. This is a handy way to get a lot of related tabs out of the way while you are browsing.
To move a group of tabs around, click the group title and drag it to the left or right – all the tabs will move with it. You can do this when the group is minimized or expanded.
How to remove a tab from a group
If you want to remove a tab from a group, just click and drag the tab to the left or right. It’s out of the group when you see the colored outline disappear from the selected group.
How to delete a group
If you want to close all the tabs in a group at once, right-click the group title and choose “Close group.” All the tabs will close right away.
If you simply want to eliminate the group title but keep the tabs open, right-click and choose “Ungroup.”