If you’re like most people, apps take up more space on your Mac than any other kind of file. And in many cases, the biggest apps are ones that you barely use.
Luckily, it’s easy to uninstall apps on a Mac. You can get rid of them like any other file: Just throw them in the trash.
Here’s how to uninstall apps from your Mac.
How to uninstall apps on a Mac
1. Find the app you want to uninstall, either on your Desktop or in a Finder window. If the app is on your Dock but you can’t find it anywhere else, right-click it in the Dock and then select Options and Show in Finder.
2. Once you find the app icon, you have two options. You can:
Right-click the icon and select Move to Trash
Click and drag the app icon to the Trash app
In either case, the app icon will disappear from your Finder or Desktop, along with all or most of its data. If the app icon is still in your Dock, just click it and it should give an error message and then disappear.
And to fully delete all the data, open Trash and click Empty in the top-right corner.
If you downloaded the app you’re uninstalling from the Mac App Store, you can also uninstall it through the Launchpad.
1. Open Launchpad and scroll to find the app you want to uninstall.
2. Click and hold your mouse on the app until all the apps start to shake.
3. If the app was downloaded from the App Store, it should have an X icon in the top-right corner. Click that X, and then click Delete.
The app icon – and its data – will disappear.
Olivia Young contributed to a previous version of this article.
On an iPhone with iOS 14 or later, you can also hide an app from your home screen by saving it to your App Library – after selecting “Remove App,” choose “Remove from Home Screen” instead of “Delete App.”
The process to delete apps on an iPad is the same. But instead of first selecting “Remove App,” you’ll simply select “Delete App.” Like on iPhone, deleting an app on an iPad will also delete the data associated with the app.
To free up space in your iCloud account, go to the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, then select your name, hit “iCloud,” and “Manage Storage.” From there, go into the “Backups” section and you’ll see your list of apps, which you can then delete.
How to delete apps on a Mac
You can’t delete some of the apps on your Mac, but for the ones you can, the Launchpad is the easiest route to getting it done.
Simply open it and then click and hold the app. An “x” should appear in the top-left corner of the app icon. Click the “x” to delete the app on your Mac.
On your Watch, you can tap and hold the app icon. An “x” will appear over the icon, which you can tap to remove the app from the device. If your apps are in a list view, you can swipe to the left on an app and tap the trash can icon to delete it.
On your iPhone, open the Watch app and, on the “Watch” tab, select the app and then toggle off the option to “Show app on Apple Watch.” You can also turn off automatic app installation from there.
How to delete apps on a Chromebook
Deleting apps on a Chromebook is simple: Select and open the launcher, then right-click the desired app, and select “Uninstall” or “Remove from Chrome.”
On the other hand, if you want to delete apps from Google Chrome, go to “chrome://apps” in the browser and, like with Chromebook, right-click the desired app icon and then select “Remove from Chrome.”
But for those who can, the process is simple: Scroll to the app on your home screen, then if you have a remote with a touchpad, press down in the center of it until the apps begin to wiggle. If you don’t have the touchpad, press and hold the select button. Then hit the play/pause button to open the menu to delete the app.
If you find you are no longer using Spotify, you can delete your account. However, you can only delete your Spotify account on the Spotify website through an internet browser – not on the mobile app.
Before closing your account, make sure you’re aware of the repercussions. You can also cancel your subscription without deleting your account altogether, and only use the free version of Spotify.
If you do close your account, you won’t be able to use your current username with Spotify again; you can, however, create a new account with the same email address. Additionally, you won’t have access to your playlists and followers anymore and you’ll lose all the music you’ve saved to your library.
Here’s how to close your Spotify account and erase your saved music.
If you close your account, you won’t be able to use your current username with Spotify again; you can, however, create a new account with the same email address.
Additionally, you won’t have access to your playlists and followers anymore. You’ll also lose all the music you’ve saved to your library.
Finally, if you’re signed up for Spotify Premium with a student discount, you’ll have to wait a full year until you can apply for that discount again.
Here’s how to close your account.
How to delete your Spotify account
To begin, you’ll have to first navigate to Spotify’s “Contact Customer Support” page. Make sure you’re logged into the account that you want to delete.
This will begin the process to close your account.
1. Click “Account.”
2. Click “I want to close my account.”
3. Verify that you actually want to permanently close your account, or just cancel your paid subscription. Click the black “Close Account” option on the left side to move forward with deletion.
4. This will bring you to a page that says “We’re sad you want to leave us” and will begin the five-step process to close your account. Click the blue “Continue” button to move forward after each step.
5. Verify that you’re signed into the right account. Click the blue “Continue” button.
6. Spotify will warn you that you’ll lose your followers and playlists. Check the box confirming you understand the consequences, and click the blue “Continue” button.
7. Click “Continue” again on the next page. You’ll receive an email – sent to the account you signed up with – to confirm you still want to close your account.
8. Open the link you received and click the final “Close My Account” option. This appears as a green button, and must be clicked within 24 hours of receiving the email.