- Google search’s dark mode gives you the option to darken the appearance of your searches on a desktop or mobile device.
- It works through Google’s search feature, so you don’t have to use the Chrome browser to access it.
- Dark mode searches are still in beta, so you may not have access yet.
- If dark mode is available for you, you will be notified you have access to it on the Google homepage or search results page.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Sometimes you just need to give your eyes a break, even if you can’t get away from your various screens.
To help with this problem, many devices and services have provided a dark mode, which turns your background black and inverts or otherwise changes the color of text so there’s less overall brightness, and you may now be able to access a dark mode specific to Google searches.
Google search’s dark mode, explained
The Google search dark mode, currently in beta testing, is a display setting that lets you apply the new look to the Google homepage and your search results when using the desktop or mobile version of the site.
Since the feature is still in beta, you may not have access to it quite yet. But when you do, you should see a pop-up notification to that effect on Google search pages.
How to enable Google search’s dark mode on desktop or mobile
If your device is able to use Google search’s dark mode, you’ll see a notification stating Dark Theme is now available above the search field on Google’s homepage; on a mobile browser, it may also appear as a Dark Theme is available notification beneath the search field on a search results page. Select Turn on to enable the feature.
Once enabled, your search results page will switch to a dark theme, as depicted here on an iPhone’s Safari browser.
If that notification has come and gone, you might be able to turn on the feature through your desktop or mobile browser’s Google search settings.
1. Go to Google.com.
2. Select Settings, located in the bottom-right area of the screen on desktop or bottom of your screen on mobile.
3. Select Search Settings.
4. Select Appearance and select the option for Dark theme.
5. Click or tap Save.