The BBC was accused of broadcasting too much TV coverage of Prince Philip’s death so it set up a complaints page for annoyed viewers

Prince Phillip dead BBC
HRH Prince Philip.

  • BBC launched a complaints page after broadcasting wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip’s death.
  • BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Scotland, BBC News, and BBC Alba were all streaming identical coverage.
  • Viewers that were unhappy with the approach were given the chance to make their voice heard.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

The BBC has organized a dedicated complaints page for irritated viewers, following accusations that it flooded TV channels with too much coverage of Prince Philip’s death.

A statement on the page, which allowed viewers to file their objections via email, read: “We’re receiving complaints about too much TV coverage of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.”

The BBC did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

The broadcaster’s response to the news of the prince’s death, which broke around noon local time on Friday, involved it clearing its entire program schedule up to 6 p.m.

Primetime shows including, the “MasterChef” final and “Gardener’s World” on BBC Two were withdrawn to allow for special coverage of the Duke of Edinburgh’s passing, NBC News reported.

BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Scotland, BBC News, and BBC Alba were all streaming identical coverage throughout the afternoon. This played into the night across the five channels.

The broadcaster’s radio stations took a similar approach, with frequent tributes and melancholy music played throughout the day and into the evening.

The blanket coverage prompted some social media users to express their dissatisfaction and annoyance with the BBC.

One Twitter user wrote: “Am i the only one who thinks its ridiculous that every BBC radio channel is playing the same broadcast (about prince philip). Feels like eastern europe 40 years ago.”

Others felt the BBC had taken the right approach, with one writing: “@BBCBreaking has done a fab job so far on the passing of #PrincePhilip keep up the good work.”

Former BBC News presenter, Simon McCoy, was among those questioning the broadcaster’s decisions.

He initially tweeted: “BBC1 and BBC2 showing the same thing. And presumably the News Channel too. Why? I know this is a huge event. But surely the public deserve a choice of programming?” However, in a later tweet, he wrote: “The BBC’s coverage was exemplary. Don’t misquote me.”

Read the original article on Business Insider

Turkish media outlets – including the BBC – fell for an April Fools’ news story that said the UN was planning a second Suez Canal for Egypt

ever given suez canal guardian april fool turkey egypt
A screenshot of The Guardian’s April fool article, as of 7pm March 31.

  • Turkish media appears to have fallen for an April fools prank by British newspaper The Guardian.
  • The Guardian published a spoof story claiming a second Suez Canal was in the works.
  • Several outlets, including BBC Turkey, reported – and then deleted – the story.
  • See more stories on Insider’s business page.

An ‘April Fools” news article claiming the United Nations is looking into building a second Suez Canal appears to have been taken wholly seriously by major Turkish media outlets.

On April 1, The Guardian published “‘Suez 2’? Ever Given grounding prompts plan for canal along Egypt-Israel border,” an article that rapidly gained attention given the current international interest in the canal.

The article said that the UN was studying the feasibility of a second channel along the Egypt-Israel border.

suez canal april fools guardian graphic ever given turkey
A graphic that appeared in The Guardian’s spoof, marking “Suez 2” in red along the Egypt-Israel border.

Several Turkish outlets appear to have taken it at face value, including BBC News Türkçe , which reported the story.

BBC turkey april fools suez canal Guardian ever given
A screenshot of the now-deleted BBC Turkey article.

“The eyes and ears of the world were there! UN stepped in, rolled up sleeves for 2nd Suez Canal,” read the headline used online by major national paper Hürriyet.

T24, an online Turkish news outlet, also published the story. The pages have now been deleted, but can be found via Google’s cache.

Unfortunately, it was a spoof. The article – written by “Flora Lopi” – cited “sources” such as “Iver Shovel,” “international tunnelling company OFP Lariol,” and “Mo Sez, a regional expert in water division management.”

The Guardian went all in and created a fake Twitter account for “Flora Lopi,” who played along with the joke on social media:

The apparent mistake was first reported by online news portal Gazete Duvar.

Middle East Eye Turkey correspondent Ragıp Soylu, who tweeted images of several print front pages that Insider has not been able to independently confirm:

The fake story created a huge buzz when first published, and “Suez 2” briefly trended on Twitter in the UK. It’s not a surprise – the Ever Given has dominated the news cycle ever since it was grounded for six days in the crucial waterway.

The 220,000-ton container ship completely blocked one of the world’s most important trading routes, choking the supply chain – and sparking endless memes. The ship was eventually freed on Monday, and the accumulated backlog of vessels is slowly passing through the channel.

The Guardian updated its story, marking it “April Fools’,” as of noon on April 1, as is traditional with spoof stories.

The BBC, T24 and Hürriyet did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

– Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story said incorrectly that Ragıp Soylu, not Gazete Duvar, was the first to spot the Turkish media’s error. This has been corrected.

Read the original article on Business Insider