- Buckingham Palace will reportedly launch an investigation into accusations against Meghan Markle.
- The news follows Meghan and Harry’s bombshell interview with Oprah.
- “The actual worst incidences haven’t come out,” palace sources were quoted as saying in The Sunday Times.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
Buckingham Palace is appointing a third-party law firm to carry out an independent investigation into bullying allegations made against the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, according to The Sunday Times.
The news comes after the Sussex’s sat down with media mogul, Oprah Winfrey, in a bombshell interview that revealed the couple’s strained relationships with the royal family and the ill-treatment they said they were receiving.
Last week, in the lead-up to the interview, sources said the Palace was ‘”prepared to retaliate” with fresh disclosures about the couple’s behavior if the monarchy is attacked.”
Per The Sunday Times report, the Palace plan to appoint an independent law firm to handle the allegations made against Markle and her spouse, Prince Harry, that the couple bullied royal staff. It is a surprising move since the Palace had initially announced that an in-house inquiry would examine the claims.
The Sussex’s communications secretary at the time, Jason Knauf, made complaints against the duchess back in 2018, accusing her of driving two personal assistants out and diminished the confidence of a third. Her behaviour was deemed “unacceptable” by a senior palace aide, London News Time reports.
Meghan denied the allegations.
Palace sources told The Sunday Times: “The actual worst incidences haven’t come out. There are some harrowing stories to tell.”
Responding to the allegations earlier this month, Meghan’s spokesperson said: “The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.”